Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Press Release: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Celebrated 90 Years of Extraordinary Filmmaking

MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 of 69 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 12:38 PM

Really, ROCKY and GBU should be sold as singles.

However...I get it....

The studio wants you to buy the sets (with the same old sequel discs) to get 

the one new remastered film included in each.

I am certain if people wait, the single versions will be out by year's end.

Personally, I can't afford to buy a new Rocky and The Man With No Name

boxed set when I already bought the originals.

• Stephen_J_H likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#42 of 69 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:40 PM

You can buy the 4K Rocky as a single in the UK: http://www.amazon.co...words=rocky blu

You can also buy Robocop in steelbook packaging to match: http://www.amazon.co...rds=robocop blu

Hopefully GBU will be released the same way over here.

#43 of 69 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:59 PM

While the current MGM does not have the catalog it used to before the sale to Turner in the mid-80s, they do have a decent amount of content, and they've been licensing to Criterion, Shout Factory and Twilight Time. I'm pretty happy to be getting The Black Stallion which was a terrible looking old DVD the last time it was released, and whether they release any of the following themselves or through a 3rd party I'd be jumping in for a purchase on Blu-ray:

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)

Cops and Robbers (1973)

Dreamchild (1985) - highly unlikely because it's only out via the MOD program, but never say never

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)

Henry V (1989)

The Lion in Winter (1968)

The Lodger (1927)

The Long Goodbye (1973)

Marty (1955)

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982)

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

Radio Days (1987)

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)

Rhapsody in August (1992)

Shadows and Fog (1991)

Suture (1993)

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)

The Thin Blue Line (1988) - should be coming from Criterion in the next year or so

The Train (1964)

UHF (1989)

Zelig (1983)

I do hope the Pink Panther collection happens, too. And personally I'd love for it to include the Arkin-starring title Inspector Clouseau (1968) and have The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) licensed from Universal.

And I'm excited for the Criterion-licensed release of Red River (1948) coming this year, too.

Edited by Brandon Conway, January 23 2014 - 02:00 PM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#44 of 69 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:04 PM

Not realizing this anniversary was coming up, why would MGM license out Woody Allen films to Twilight Time when he's pretty much the only Auteur director like Kubrick is for Warners or Hitchcock is for Universal that MGM has in their stable. Or are the Allen films controlled by someone else now? Just seems stupid to me, but then I've never been able to figure out the studios marketing the past few years....

Actually it appears that the Twilight releases are part of the 90 year celebration. The have the MGM 90 year logo on the Blu cover and I understand there is a trailer celebrating the 90 years included with KHARTOUM.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#45 of 69 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,030 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:09 PM

Actually it appears that the Twilight releases are part of the 90 year celebration. The have the MGM 90 year logo on the Blu cover and I understand there is a trailer celebrating the 90 years included with KHARTOUM.

Wow, so it's even more stupid than I thought.

#46 of 69 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:29 PM

What I'd like are some releases from the 30's that HAVEN'T been released to Blu. (Don't we all?)

I think many of you know how passionate I am about Best Picture nominees, and that's EXACTLY what I hope and prey for. Rocky, Fargo and Rain Man  will all be buying... AGAIN... just for the 4k scans. LE SIGH.

So many Best Picture nominee films I need on blu... LE SIGH AGAIN...

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#47 of 69 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:41 PM

Well, since TT could acquire KHARTOUM, maybe they will consider THE VIKINGSSOLOMON AND SHEBA, KINGS OF THE SUN, TARAS BULBA and HAWAII.  These were high prestige films for the old MGM studio. and you know you'll NEVER see them from the underachievers over at WB.

#48 of 69 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 03:03 PM

What I'd like are some releases from the 30's that HAVEN'T been released to Blu. (Don't we all?)

The current MGM company owns very little (if any?) films from the 30s.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#49 of 69 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 23 2014 - 03:15 PM

I know that. I can only
Hope...
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#50 of 69 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted January 23 2014 - 03:30 PM

Well, since TT could acquire KHARTOUM, maybe they will consider THE VIKINGSSOLOMON AND SHEBA, KINGS OF THE SUN, TARAS BULBA and HAWAII.  These were high prestige films for the old MGM studio. and you know you'll NEVER see them from the underachievers over at WB.

I'm not sure about the others, but HAWAII is a UA title, so it's owned by MGM, which is why it would take a Robert Harris and a Criterion to release anything other than the general release version.

#51 of 69 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:54 PM

In the Heat of the Night looked like a blu-ray held over from the last decade.  Visually, if this was released through TT there would have been far more complains about it.  That one should have been done a 4k scan.  It is certainly prestigious enough for it.

Uh, you mean UA, right?  None of these had any involvement from the old MGM.

The current MGM company owns very little (if any?) films from the 30s.

MGM owns the rights and original elements to several Monogram features from the 30s and 40s.  Though you'd never know it since all MGM ever bothered with were the Charlie Chans.

• Brandon Conway likes this

#52 of 69 OFFLINE   Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 403 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 23 2014 - 08:52 PM

When will we ever see classic Gene Kelly musicals like On The Town I wonder why its taking forever??

I presume because of the film elements condition & or music rights issues??

#53 of 69 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted January 23 2014 - 08:55 PM

When will we ever see classic Gene Kelly musicals like On The Town I wonder why its taking forever??

The classic Kelly MGM musicals are ALL owned by Time-Warner...you'd have to ask THEM what they're doing about those titles, Paul... :wave-hello: THIS version of MGM is a whole 'nother kettle of fish entirely!!! :biggrin:

#54 of 69 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 09:23 PM

Warner has released a fair number of MGM musicals on BD the past few years, from An American in Paris and Singin' in the Rain, to Gigi and Easter Parade.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

#55 of 69 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 23 2014 - 11:03 PM

There are no film element or music right issues. They are controlled by Warner Brothers and have been since Warner purchased Ted Turner holdings in October of 1996 and include all MGM pictures produced prior to May 1986.

Warner has a huge library and have been cautious releasing classic titles in Blu. But that could change if the indications from WAC are correct and they ramp up their Blu release schedule.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#56 of 69 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted January 24 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hopefully GBU will be released the same way over here.

Yup, supposedly in the works from Zavvi. I'm not getting suckered in with box sets I don't need. Already ordered the Rocky steelbook.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#57 of 69 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,953 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 24 2014 - 09:18 AM

While the current MGM does not have the catalog it used to before the sale to Turner in the mid-80s, they do have a decent amount of content, and they've been licensing to Criterion, Shout Factory and Twilight Time. I'm pretty happy to be getting The Black Stallion which was a terrible looking old DVD the last time it was released, and whether they release any of the following themselves or through a 3rd party I'd be jumping in for a purchase on Blu-ray:

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)

Cops and Robbers (1973)

Dreamchild (1985) - highly unlikely because it's only out via the MOD program, but never say never

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)

Henry V (1989)

The Lion in Winter (1968)

The Lodger (1927)

The Long Goodbye (1973)

Marty (1955)

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982)

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

Radio Days (1987)

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)

Rhapsody in August (1992)

Shadows and Fog (1991)

Suture (1993)

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)

The Thin Blue Line (1988) - should be coming from Criterion in the next year or so

The Train (1964)

UHF (1989)

Zelig (1983)

I do hope the Pink Panther collection happens, too. And personally I'd love for it to include the Arkin-starring title Inspector Clouseau (1968) and have The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) licensed from Universal.

And I'm excited for the Criterion-licensed release of Red River (1948) coming this year, too.

great list of titles I would love to see get some love from the current MGM either thru them or TT or Criterion, and if they are looking at previous released titles that need a 4k do over, let me suggest The Greatest Story Ever Told, the last release could use the proper work.

• ahollis likes this
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#58 of 69 OFFLINE   Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 10:15 AM

The facts do not back you up.

Fanboy talk. Fox humilated them last year with the vast of catalogue titles released on blu-ray. They were beaten up on their own anniversary! :lol: Warner sucks :thumbsdown:

#59 of 69 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted January 24 2014 - 10:38 AM

The best way for MGM to celebrate their 90th anniversary is for High Society and Three Little Words to be released on blu-ray. I doubt that the general population cares about who currently owns the rights to the films as long as they are released. Warners should help them celebrate.

#60 of 69 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,030 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 24 2014 - 10:43 AM

The best way for MGM to celebrate their 90th anniversary is for High Society and Three Little Words to be released on blu-ray. I doubt that the general population cares about who currently owns the rights to the films as long as they are released. Warners should help them celebrate.

Seeing how Warner's rarely work well with others, and have gotten to the point where they consider MGM milestones "The Wizard of Oz" and "Gone With The Wind" to be Warner Bros productions, I don't see the above scenario happening anytime soon.

Unless of course they think they can squeeze the final pennies out of OZ or Wind's corpses with some even newer 3D type offering that removes it even farther than the film it is. (Done respectfully though, so no one should be bothered since the original technically exists though isn't available to the general public in a form that doesn't feature some audio mistakes.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users