Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Press Release: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Celebrated 90 Years of Extraordinary Filmmaking

MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 of 69 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:43 PM

United Artists has pretty much disappeared from consciousness. 

UA was probably the premiere studio in the 50's and 60's and made many films that traditional studios like MGM would never have touched.  Their low-overhead operation attracted film makers like Stanley Kramer and Burt Lancaster.  They made great movies that won awards and also made money. 

It is unfortunate that the team assembled by Arthur Krim and the work that they did does not get more appreciation for its own right. 

MGM certainly made wonderful movies during its golden age but that ended sometime in the 50's.  We still celebrate MGM, as we should, but have forgotten UA as its own entity.

• MatthewA and Osato like this

#22 of 69 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:47 PM

No one should want to give the current MGM company control over any more films than it already has.  Certainly, WB is doing a much better job with the MGM catalog--as well as the history of the MGM studio in the golden age--than the current MGM company would consider doing.

If someone has a couple of billion, it would be better to buy up the current "MGM catalog", especially the UA titles, and give them to WB.  (Or Sony.) 

#23 of 69 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,872 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:56 PM

We still celebrate MGM, as we should, but have forgotten UA as its own entity.

We haven't forgotten UA. It's the current owners of MGM who have not only forgotten UA but have expunged the name from their corporate identity. It's absurd for the current MGM to be claiming to celebrate 90 years of MGM filmmaking. The company should have taken the UA name rather than that of MGM but of course the MGM name and logo has far more recognition and status.

• MatthewA likes this

#24 of 69 OFFLINE   Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:09 PM

No one should want to give the current MGM company control over any more films than it already has.  Certainly, WB is doing a much better job with the MGM catalog--as well as the history of the MGM studio in the golden age--than the current MGM company would consider doing.

If someone has a couple of billion, it would be better to buy up the current "MGM catalog", especially the UA titles, and give them to WB.  (Or Sony.) 

False. Warner is the worst company out there, when it comes to releasing DEEP catalogue stuff on blu-ray. TT should aquire their back catalog.

• trajan likes this

#25 of 69 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:12 PM

False. Warner is the worst company out there, when it comes to releasing DEEP catalogue stuff on blu-ray.

Compared to Universal?

#26 of 69 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:20 PM

False. Warner is the worst company out there, when it comes to releasing DEEP catalogue stuff on blu-ray. TT should aquire their back catalog.

The facts do not back you up.

• Robin9 likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#27 of 69 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:23 PM

In defense of Current MGM, MGM HD is probably my single favorite TV channel.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#28 of 69 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:28 PM

"TT should aquire their back catalog."

Yeah, right...

#29 of 69 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 02:02 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the apparently once planned Pink Panther set?

#30 of 69 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 02:29 PM

Nothing.  There was a press release a while back but since then not a word.  They just missed the 50th anniversary in 2013.  Maybe it will be part of this 90th MGM anniversary shindig?

#31 of 69 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted January 22 2014 - 03:36 PM

What REALLY intrigues me is seeing the "Man With No Name Trilogy" remastered 4k box set out there on Amazon...didn't expect THAT one...I was already happy to hear that just ONE of Leone's films from that batch had been redone in 4k...the WHOLE SHEBANG'S been redone?!? :thumbsup:

#32 of 69 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:10 PM

My understanding is that it's just GB&U and that the other two are the same previous discs, similar to the new Rocky set.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#33 of 69 OFFLINE   Nailwraps

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:46 PM

MGM and Warner should consider doing a box set together; 90 discs of 90 films from MGM, United Artists, Orion, even some StudioCanal (including Stargate which was an MGM film, but Canal owns it and Lionsgate has distribution for it). It didn't stop them from doing a Mad Max or Terminator set. 

#34 of 69 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:56 PM

What I wish could have happened, with all of these 'Anniversary' celebrations, is that the various distribution companies could have worked out some type of profit-sharing plan.

So, Paramount gets to put out 'Paramount' films, and both Universal and Paramount take a percentage. The same with MGM and Warner's.

Both Paramount and MGM's anniversaries are anemic when looking at their history. And Universal and Warner's had some head-scratchers when looking at the titles under their anniversary banner (straight releases - OK, anniversary branded - huh?)

#35 of 69 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,468 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:28 PM

Well, I for one would certainly love a blu-ray of Yentl during this celebration, among many other (mia on blu) MGM-UA titles.  I'm glad for upgrades of Fargo and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, but would also love some more new to blu titles.  Especially some that never even had anamorphic dvd releases.  Cautiously optimistic about future title announcements.  

#36 of 69 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:20 AM

Very pleasing to hear about TGTBATU and Fargo being re-mastered.

One of the best things about this, for me, is that they've lumped in these two in the same 4K category as RoboCop.  I won't get into a debate as to how much difference a 4K master will make, but just note that the remastered RoboCop has been generally well-received, indicating a big step up over the previous release.  If they were just going to tweak TGTBATU and Fargo, I don't think they'd be bragging about a 4K scan.

If these two are as much of an improvement as we've seen for RoboCop, then that's good news, I think.

Sorry to hear that the other two in the trilogy may not be 4K jobs, but I'll live in hope until that's officially confirmed.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#37 of 69 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:53 AM

MGM certainly made wonderful movies during its golden age but that ended sometime in the 50's.  

Esther Williams, who had a front seat view, said in one preserved TV interview that Dore Schary killed MGM.

With Dory Schary.jpg

Maybe it's my over-vivid imagination, but their body language in that picture suggests they didn't like each other very much! :)

#38 of 69 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 913 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:53 AM

If MGM wants to make a big splash for their 90th, they could always restore The Alamo. Of course, that would cost more than slapping new artwork on what they were releasing anyway, or repackaging stuff that's already out. Therefore, it won't happen.

#39 of 69 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 09:24 AM

http://www.hometheat...939-may-6-2014/

As mentioned above The Women is coming to blu by Warner Bros. Standard release hopefully. First classic film by Joan Crawford (excluding Baby Jane)  and Norma Shearer to make it to blu. You can't get more classic MGM than that.

As far as the MGM 90th celebration, they could easily re release the UA 90th box sets with an MGM logo pasted over the UA logo and have what they are now celebrating as the MGM anniversary.  Hopefully TCM will do a celebration this year for MGM. However they have pretty much covered classic MGM with the documentary, " MGM When The Lion Roared"  from 1992 so I wouldn't expect a new documentary. A month of only MGM films at TCM would be a treat especially for those who get TCM in HD.

#40 of 69 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 23 2014 - 12:37 PM

My understanding is that it's just GB&U and that the other two are the same previous discs, similar to the new Rocky set.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

This is my concern. I'll rebuy if all the films are redone, otherwise it's a pass for me.

Not realizing this anniversary was coming up, why would MGM license out Woody Allen films to Twilight Time when he's pretty much the only Auteur director like Kubrick is for Warners or Hitchcock is for Universal that MGM has in their stable. Or are the Allen films controlled by someone else now? Just seems stupid to me, but then I've never been able to figure out the studios marketing the past few years....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users