Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Press Release: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Celebrated 90 Years of Extraordinary Filmmaking

MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:15 AM

title.jpg

METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER CELEBRATES 90 YEARS OF EXTRAORDINARY FILMMAKING

Los Angeles, CA (January 22, 2014) – Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) announced today a yearlong global campaign to honor the studio’s storied 90-year legacy. Founded in 1924 when theater magnate Marcus Loew bought and merged Metro Pictures Corp. with Goldwyn Pictures and Louis B. Mayer Productions, MGM and its legendary roaring lion logo signify the golden era of Hollywood to film lovers around the world. Since its inception, the company has led the industry in creating some of Hollywood’s greatest stars and is home to over 175 Academy Award®-winning films, including 14 Best Pictures.

“What a supreme honor it is to preside over a company with such an unparalleled legacy. It’s remarkable to have this opportunity to reflect on MGM’s amazing achievements in film history while also looking ahead to MGM’s bright and promising future,” said Gary Barber, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

The celebration of 90 extraordinary years kicks off today, as the MGM icon, Leo the Lion, is immortalized with a paw print ceremony at the world famous TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood, cementing his place in Hollywood history. Sylvester Stallone, writer and star of Rocky (1976), one of MGM’s most iconic and enduring characters, is also on hand to commemorate the special occasion, along with BarberThe event will be live streamed on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dC02qz6Gqg. Embed code:

MGM is debuting a special 90th anniversary trailer which will play in theaters, on MGM channels – including MGM’s 24/7 movie network, MGM HD; its action-themed VOD channel, Impact; and its premiere multicast programming service dedicated to movies, THIS TV – as well as on DVD products and across social media. The trailer includes a tapestry of iconic images and scenes from films in MGM’s library, evoking a deep emotional connection and celebrating the company’s extensive contributions to the entertainment world. A link to the trailer can be found here: http://youtu.be/AybnnAQH-Wc

Additionally, several of MGM’s signature films including Rocky, Rain Man, FargoRoboCop and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, have been meticulously restored in 4K resolution (four times the clarity of HD) and will be presented on Blu-ray™ for a beautiful, high-definition home viewing experience. These re-releases will be issued through MGM’s home entertainment partner, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, and are now available for pre-order on Amazon.

Other initiatives to mark the company’s 90th anniversary include:

MGM will complement its already vast collection of films currently available on Blu-ray™ by releasing new titles across all genres throughout the year. Upcoming titles for release include In the Heat of the Night, A Chorus Line,and The Birdcage.

MGM has created a one-of-a-kind collector’s book and bonus video disc companion commemorating 90 amazing years, featuring interviews from award-winning filmmakers, directors, and actors discussing the significance of their contributions to MGM’s legacy. The book and video highlight the evolution and history of the legendary studio and provide an extensive look into the studio's golden years, classics, iconic franchises and much more. Interviews include Sylvester Stallone on Rocky, Clint Eastwood on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis on Thelma and Louise, and Walter Mirisch on The Pink Panther. The bonus disc will also be available accompanying select DVD offerings.

Fans can also relive their favorite film moments at www.mgm90th.com, a unique Tumblr website and the first Tumblr integration to feature a studio’s full library. The MGM 90th Tumblr site’s dynamic design encourages fans to explore and immerse themselves into rich content celebrating 90 years of MGM filmmaking.  As fans integrate socially with the yearlong celebration, the Tumblr site will serve as an active aggregator showcasing all of the current sharing and postings.   This fresh approach to syndicating content to fans allows a seamless integration appealing to all ages within Tumblr’s rapidly growing platform and beyond. 

Titles, release dates and packaging continuing this iconic celebration will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

• Osato likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 69 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:23 AM

Congrats to MGM on their 90th Anniversary.

Been anxious to order some of the remastered Blu-ray titles via Amazon.

RoboCop has just been released.  The new 4K of Rocky is only part of a new boxed set, as far as I am aware.

Have not seen Fargo or The Good, The Bad and The Ugly anywhere.

Let's hope these titles are being offered individually.  I am not going to buy a hugely expensive 

commemorative set.

• Osato likes this

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 69 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:32 AM

Of the 12 films mentioned in that press release, only one actually had MGM as an actual production partner: THELMA & LOUISE. The others were mostly United Artists and a few were produced by other production companies (e.g. ROBOCOP, Orion). MGM had nothing to do with them until some kind of corporate musical chairs/mergers and acquisitions activity led them to have the distribution rights years after the fact. To call them MGM films in order to celebrate the studio's 90th anniversary is a bit of a stretch. I'm appalled there's no mention of any actual, y'know, MGM classics in the release (MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, BEN-HUR, TARZAN THE APE MAN, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, QUO VADIS, AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, THE DIRTY DOZEN, etc., etc., etc.)

#4 of 69 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:58 AM

I think all those MGM classics you mentioned, Vic, were part of Warner Brothers Anniversary stuff last year since they own the rights now. :P

I love the idea of a remastered Good Bad Ugly, but not without the Fist movies included. They look like hell on the current bluray too and are deserving of an upgrade. And why not do it right and included a remastered version of the original Good before they added those scenes with the newly looped audio?

Shame Criterion didn't get these ones...

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#5 of 69 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:51 AM

I think it's worthwhile to honor MGM, but they should be honoring the real MGM. As in studio-produced classic films. They should be releasing 90 pre-1960 MGM films on blu-ray.
  • MatthewA likes this

#6 of 69 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:52 AM

They should be releasing 90 pre-1960 MGM films on blu-ray. 

Doesn't Warner hold most all those rights?

• Stephen_J_H likes this

Ronald J Epstein

#7 of 69 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:20 AM

I don't think the current MGM company is even allowed to mention pre-86 MGM features in their press releases without paying extra royalties to WB.  So they're kinda stuck either promoting the UA catalog and whatever they produced after the Turner buyout attempt.  Now why the press release couldn't make at least a token mention of United Artists is another thing entirely.

I love the idea of a remastered Good Bad Ugly, but not without the Fist movies included. They look like hell on the current bluray too and are deserving of an upgrade. And why not do it right and included a remastered version of the original Good before they added those scenes with the newly looped audio?

Shame Criterion didn't get these ones...

Yes, the first two from the trilogy definitely need to be remastered.  Hopefully The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly blu-ray ends up as a quality release.

#8 of 69 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:50 AM

So, it should be Warner celebrating MGM's 90th and not MGM!

#9 of 69 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:53 AM

Well, really, it's all screwed up on both sides.

Warner released a huge Anniversary set a year ago that celebrated quite a bit of MGM releases. 

Warner holds the rights to most of MGM's grandest features, and all that MGM has left is an 

assortment of mostly post mid 60s releases.  Some good stuff, but hardly representative of 

the glory days of that studio.

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 69 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,871 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:55 AM

This is why a lot of us were pulling for Warner to acquire MGM. At least that way, the library would be consolidated as it should be.

• MatthewA and ahollis like this
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 69 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,027 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 11:02 AM

We all would like to see the MGM library reunited. But the fact is, the pre-1986 MGM library is probably getting better treatment at Warner Bros that MGM would be able to give it. The reconstruction of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World wouldn't be happening if not for Criterion's intervention.

It's actually kind of impressive how MGM has managed to survive as a brand considering it's been subject to every type of mismanagement, neglect, and corner-cutting for over 50 years. Some even say it wasn't the same after Irving Thalberg died!

• ROclockCK likes this

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#12 of 69 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,074 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 11:11 AM

Out of curiosity, Warner is also the rights holder for any surviving films from the original pre-merger studios (Metro Pictures Corp., Goldwyn Pictures, Louis B. Mayer Productions), correct? Was there anything of major significance to a modern enthusiast from those studios prior to the merger in 1924?

Edited by Brandon Conway, January 22 2014 - 11:12 AM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 69 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,094 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted January 22 2014 - 11:13 AM

I would love to see a brand new 4K HD transfer of The Silence of the Lambs (Orion thru MGM) 

Also I wonder what films we can look forward to for the United Artists Anniversary lol 

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#14 of 69 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 818 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 11:20 AM

Here are links to the Amazon listings.  There is a Man With No Name Trilogy set coming.

http://www.amazon.co...astered edition

http://www.amazon.co...words=rocky blu

• Osato likes this
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#15 of 69 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for those links, John.  You can preorder through them and HTF gets credit.

Thinking about Fargo at $14, though I own it already on Blu-ray.

Ronald J Epstein

#16 of 69 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 11:29 AM

If I have to re-buy the other 2 movies just to get 4K TGTB&TU, I'll be more than a little annoyed.  Unless of course the other 2 have been remastered but I kinda doubt it.

• Osato likes this

#17 of 69 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,335 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:23 PM

So, it should be Warner celebrating MGM's 90th and not MGM!

Well, I'm saying Warners should jump on that bandwagon and release some more classic MGM titles. Maybe starting with The Bandwagon (no pun intended). Cuz most of the library is sitting there, doing nothing. Now would be a good time.

#18 of 69 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:32 PM

So far the only MGM movie on blu-ray WB is releasing this year is Get Carter.  Hopefully there are more coming.

#19 of 69 Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:41 PM

The original Time Machine is coming too.

#20 of 69 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,027 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:42 PM

Stuff is coming from Warner, it's just not flooding out like it was 10 years ago.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users