• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 07:10 AM

I am in the market for a new tv. I have looked at the Samsung UN60F8000 and I really like it. But i read about the panel lottery and flashlighting and clouding...ugh, it boggles the mind. Lately I have been reading about how plasmas seem to still be viable options. So I have been researching the Panasonic TC-P60VT60.

So my question is are plasmas still a viable option and whats better in the long run the Samsung or the Panny? I will be watching movies, television as well as gaming.

Any answers will be appreciated

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted January 22 2014 - 07:31 AM

If picture quality and motion handling is important to you then plasma is the way to go. I recently looked at some LED 4K televisions and the PQ was inferior to my plasma (Panasonic).

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 22 2014 - 07:32 AM

Plasma is (and always has been) superior to LCD in every way except perhaps "weight" and "thinness". You mention gaming, so you should definitely stick with plasma.

It's a damn shame that Panasonic is stopping production - we're losing arguably the best displays out there (that's why I snatched one up in December while they were still readily available).

As is often the case with consumer electronics, the technology "winner" isn't always the superior product. LCD "winning" over plasma is just another example...

The top of the line Samsung displays have many glowing reviews, but if you can find a Panasonic that would be my first choice.

• Cameron Yee likes this

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 468 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:58 AM

I am in the market for a new tv. I have looked at the Samsung UN60F8000 and I really like it. But i read about the panel lottery and flashlighting and clouding...ugh, it boggles the mind. Lately I have been reading about how plasmas seem to still be viable options. So I have been researching the Panasonic TC-P60VT60.

So my question is are plasmas still a viable option and whats better in the long run the Samsung or the Panny? I will be watching movies, television as well as gaming.

Any answers will be appreciated

Your thread title has it backwards, as also implied by James' post.  LCD TV manufacturers have been trying to equal the image quality of plasmas all along.  I consult with video program production professionals regularly, and the world-wide, large format, review and quality control monitors of choice have been plasmas.  Get a ZT, VT, or ST series Panasonic if you can still find one.

The dominant popularity of LCDs is due primarily to marketing and consumer naivete.  In the famous words of H. L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,915 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:19 AM

And it isn't, and never has been, an "LED TV" .

It is LED, versus ccfl, backlit LCD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users