Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Out of the home theater realm for a while. Need help upgrading my speakers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 07:07 AM

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Currenlty I have an old pair of axiom m60's, a vp100, and 3 qs4's. Im looking for the mains right now and probably will pick up the center channel that goes with the mains.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]My budget is between 1700-2000 for the mains. I dont really know whats out there. I do like my axiom m60's and the new m80 v3's seem really nice but Im sure there is other stuff out there.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Also, is it best to buy the center channel that matches the mains?[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]And will my qs4's need upgrading also.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Thanks in advance.[/color]

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:48 AM

If you generally like the Axiom sound but are looking to upgrade, you should start with other "Canadian" manufacturers.  PSB and Paradigm are often considered an upgrade to Axiom.  (I am an Axiom fan, have the M22s, so that should not be considered a criticism of Axiom.)

Yes, the center should absolutely match the left/right (called timbre matched), so that as a scene pans from side to side you don't get an abrupt change.  It's not as important for surrounds, so you could keep the QS4s in place until you settle in on the mains.

By the way, if you have old Axioms, the version changes from v1 to v2 to v3 were supposed to be a significant upgrade in the crossover and tweeters; so if all else fails you could try out the newer models.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted January 23 2014 - 07:59 AM

As usual AI nailed it. Ill only add that I think PSB has a really solid B stock offerings that might save you some coin. Forget the site now, "saturday" something...
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Henry Hughes

Henry Hughes

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 08:39 AM

As usual AI nailed it. Ill only add that I think PSB has a really solid B stock offerings that might save you some coin. Forget the site now, "saturday" something...

Found it.  Its saturdayaudio.com

Which psb speakers are best for home theater, gaming, and music?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted January 23 2014 - 08:45 AM

A good speaker is a good speaker, generally speaking the application is irrelevant. Towers will obviously do better without a sub and are generally preferred for music.
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,163 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 23 2014 - 09:37 AM

I have a pair of Image T6 mains and a C5 center and love them for both movies and music. I've had them for a number of years and they aren't going anywhere. I also have a pair of the Image S5 Bipoles for surrounds and a pair of ancient Alphas for my rear surrounds to round out the "7" in my 7.1 setup.

The Alphas are the last remnants of my first set of home theater speakers - 4 alphas and a matching center. They were solid performers for $100 bookshelves back in the day...

My subwoofer is a Paradigm 15"-er - got it through a friend at a great discount. It's more subwoofer than I think I'll ever need for my room.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users