Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rockford Files

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,347 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 05:34 PM

I have decided to watch S6 of Rockford files as Rockford Files is one of all-time favorite shows. I really like Angel, especially his schemes.

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 05:46 PM

You're right about Angel. Rockford Files is also one of my all-time favorite shows. James Gardner is perfectly suited for the role and I really enjoy those scenes with the Firebird. In fact, another very good TV show with James Gardner is Maverick, it's a western but James Gardner steal the show.

#3 of 20 ONLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 487 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted January 19 2014 - 06:28 PM

I'm still waiting for Volume 2 of The Rockford Files Movie Collection. After Volume 1, there are four more of the 1990's productions remaining to be issued on DVD.  I recorded all of these standard-maintaining T.V. movies at the time, and I'm keeping the VHS tapes while I'm waiting. How about it, Universal?

• David Weicker and Ron1973 like this

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,176 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 19 2014 - 06:49 PM

There just isn't a dull episode in the series. I caught it in reruns as a kid but started watching again on Netflix this past year. Of all the crazy things, I had a college class with a guy whose name was James Garner! It hit me that I hadn't watched Rockford in ages so I went home after class and starte watching and now I have my oldest son hooked on it as well.

• davidmatychuk likes this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#5 of 20 ONLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 07:09 PM

They really hold up, as fun mysteries, as interesting character studies, as ultra-cool 70's nostalgia, and especially as maximum-strength slugs of the great James Garner. 

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,347 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 07:17 PM

POPULAR

They really hold up, as fun mysteries, as interesting character studies, as ultra-cool 70's nostalgia, and especially as maximum-strength slugs of the great James Garner. 

There are few shows that still hold up today, i.e. Three's Company, Rockford Files, Emergency!, Adam-12, Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Magnum PI, etc. Rockford Files, especially the answering machine and the guest starr!

• Bob_S., davidmatychuk and Ron1973 like this

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,650 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted January 19 2014 - 11:04 PM

I really like the series (watched it during first run too) and was pleasantly surprised at just how well it's held up.  Right now I just want Uni to re-release S1 on SS discs!  I've *never* gotten a S1 set that didn't skip/hang on at least 1 episode per disc/side (I've had 4 at this point)!  Because of that I don't own a copy of S1 as they've all gone back. :(

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 03:59 AM

Seems kinda silly to me that the rest of the tv movies haven't been released.  Even in a MOD format, at least it would allow fans to finish out the Rockford material.

But I am a 'completist', I guess.   Drives me nuts when I only get part of a series and not the entire thing.  Like I have Sanford and Son, but I want someone to release 'Sanford', the Redd Foxx sequel sitcom. 

And sure, by the time the tv movies were made the cast was older but they kept the tone of the series pretty darned well. 

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 08:53 AM

Universal has been doing a pretty good job releasing many of their most popular shows in Complete Series formats (Columbo, Murder She Wrote, Magnum).  I figure that they'll get around to Rockford, which probably means a separate release for the rest of the tv movies.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 11:52 AM

POPULAR

I'm still waiting for Volume 2 of The Rockford Files Movie Collection. After Volume 1, there are four more of the 1990's productions remaining to be issued on DVD.  I recorded all of these standard-maintaining T.V. movies at the time, and I'm keeping the VHS tapes while I'm waiting. How about it, Universal?

I think in light of James Garner's passing, Universal should seriously consider releasing Volume 2 and complete this collection once and for all.  It makes no sense to me that his most popular character's adventures are incomplete on DVD after all these years.

• LeoA, ChrisALM, Walsh61 and 2 others like this
Recently watched- Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II, Snowpiercer

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Irina Asanova - "KGB have better cars, you know."
Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#11 of 20 ONLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 12:54 PM

Late last night, I watched my home-recorded VHS tape of "Punishment And Crime", the TV movie from September 18, 1996 (I didn't need to check that on the Internet because I wrote it on the label that day). What a talent he was! James Garner set a Hollywood standard for personal class long ago, and today's top stars are still emulating his choices, his persona, and his charm. Going back and forth between quality TV and quality movies because quality is what matters? James Garner got there 50 years ago.
  • Ron1973 likes this

#12 of 20 ONLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 01:31 PM

I think in light of James Garner's passing, Universal should seriously consider releasing Volume 2 and complete this collection once and for all.  It makes no sense to me that his most popular character's adventures are incomplete on DVD after all these years.

TCM Vault has a relationship with Universal, and they've done some great exclusive releases of Universal movies on DVD. Maybe "The Rockford Files Movie Collection Volume 2" is a job for them.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 02:02 PM

I am watching the longer pilot episode right now... William Smith is hanging upside down! :-)

In Feb 2011, I asked about vol 2 of the movies:

Dear Rickard,

Thank you for contacting us.

No date has been announced for the DVD release of "The Rockford Files: Movie Collection, Vol. 2." A multitude of factors influence the timing and content of our DVD releases. Unfortunately, no further information is available at this time.

For a listing of upcoming releases, please check our website periodically at: nbcuniversalstore.com. You might also wish to subscribe to our online newsletter for product announcements at http://signup.univer...ios.com/form/39.

We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal products.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 02:58 PM

There is a German release of the Movies Vol 2.

It is Region 2 and PAL, but the four movies look good.

It includes the original English soundtrack, and the credits are in English. The only thing in German is the Episode on-screen Title (and of course the DVD case).

It was about $30 from Amazon DE

#15 of 20 ONLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 03:22 PM

James Scott Rockford, mostly short Jim, spent five years in prison at San Quentin innocent. After his rehabilitation, he settled as a private investigator. He lives on the beach in Malibu, Paradise Cove Road 29, in a caravan, which also serves him as an office. In solving his cases by his father Rocky, his girlfriend and lawyer Beth and his former cellmate, Angel often help. Access to police files gives him his friend the policeman Dennis Becker, but repeatedly executes although always overworked, annoyed and worried about his job related services for Jim Rockford. Rockford's fee is $ 200 per day plus expenses, but often remain him his client guilty. As a detective, Jim Rockford is distinguished from his ingenuity, empathy, and public speaking skills. With the help of a small mobile printer press he can quickly establish a business card and thus a suitable cover for his activities and thus receives usually the desired information. He rarely carries a gun (which he already does not have permission). These he kept on in his kitchen in a coffee can. The coffee would be good to protect the weapon against the salty sea air, as Rockford often told in jest.

The above is Google-translated from the description on Amazon.de. Thanks for the heads-up!

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 08:24 PM

I am wondering if, with Mr. Garner's passing, WB may start considering the second round of Rockford Files telefilms??   Or Young Maverick, due to his appearance in the first episode??

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   rjd0309

rjd0309

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 12 2014 - 12:19 AM

I remember that James Whitmore Jr. guested in a couple of Rockford episodes as private-eye wannabe Fred Beamer.

In one of those eps, Beamer was beaten up three times, if I recall correctly.  What made me laugh, was that, after each fight, Beamer would have yet another piece of white adhesive tape holding his glasses together.   :lol:

• Ron1973 likes this

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 02:50 AM

First, I love the show and I agree with the poster who said there are no dull episodes. It was huge at the time and unique. A handsome detective was nothing new  but his unending string of bad luck and relationship with  the official police was novel. When you watch a lot of episodes there are some things which can be frustrating. For example, why do all police captains/lieutenants hate him? Also, who would continue to put up with Angel and the trouble he brings? Then again who would have put up with Gilligan or Dr. Zachary Smith? Lastly, couldn't  he take any precautions to prevent getting stiffed on his bill? Didn't he ever think of a contract?

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 04:37 AM

I am wondering if, with Mr. Garner's passing, WB may start considering the second round of Rockford Files telefilms??   Or Young Maverick, due to his appearance in the first episode??

Just as a "Heads Up", the pilot for "Young Maverick" --- which featured both Bret and Bart Maverick (James Garner/Jack Kelly) has been available on commercial DVD for quite some time:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0013D8M4E/

Joseph
---------------

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 10:13 PM

Just as a "Heads Up", the pilot for "Young Maverick" --- which featured both Bret and Bart Maverick (James Garner/Jack Kelly) has been available on commercial DVD for quite some time:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0013D8M4E/

Oh I definately have the "The New Maverick" DVD!!  But as a huge Garner fan and someone that likes to have things completed,  I really want a release of 'Young Maverick' and the second volume of 'Rockford Files' telefilms!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users