What's new

speaker advice needed an appreciated... (2 Viewers)

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
ok, i've asked this question on other forums and gotten lots of responses, just curious what the consensus here will be.my current setup is an AVR- Onkyo TX-SR508Speakers- Infinity TSS- 450i have a Samsung 720P Plasma for a TV and a Sony BDP-S580 for Blu-Ray.i'm thinking really hard about upgrading my speaker setup, the specs on the Infinitys are as follows.Satellite Frequency Range 150Hz – 20,000Hz (+/–3db) Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 – 100 watts Sensitivity 86dB Nominal Impedance 8 ohms Crossover Frequency 7000Hz, 24dB/octave Midrange Driver 2-1/2", magnetically shielded High-Frequency Driver 1/2", magnetically shielded Dimensions(H x W x D) 5" x 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" (127mm x 88mm x 88mm) Weight 1.2 lb (0.5kg) Center Channel Frequency Range 150Hz – 20,000Hz (+/–3dB) Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 – 100 watts Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 87dB Nominal Impedance 8 ohms Crossover Frequency 7000Hz, 24dB/octave Midrange Driver Dual 2-1/2", magnetically shielded High-Frequency Driver 1/2", magnetically shielded Dimensions(H x W x D) 4-1/8" x 9-1/4" x 4-3/8" (105mm x 235mm x 111mm) Weight 1.9 lb (2.0kg) Subwoofer Frequency Range 39Hz – 150Hz (+/–3dB) Amplifier Power Output 100 watts RMS Low-Frequency Driver 8" Crossover Frequency 50Hz - 150Hz, 24dB/octavecontinuously variable Dimensions(H x W x D) 16-1/4" x 10-1/4" x 15-1/2" (413mm x 262mm x 394mm) Weight 28.3 lb my budget is $350 max and my question is this...i've looked at ALL kinds of setups online as i live in an extremely rural with the closest audio shop being 70+ miles away from me.I have been leaning HARD towards the Fluance AVHTB and a pair of AV bi-pole surrounds to finish out the 7.1 setup. i like the 30 day guarantee and the lifetime warranty but, of course, have never seen a set in person and, the reviews are all glowing but i'm wondering if they will be a sgnificant upgrade over my current setup.i've also thought of going the Pioneer AJ route and replacing my LRC and utilizing my infinity satelites for surrounds, they are silver and would clash cosmetically.i've looked at buying a Dayton audio complete 7.1 setup with 4" drivers.i've also thought about buying 4 pairs of Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers and using them for everything, i would replace the tweeters of course.i've looked at Jamo, ML, Pure Acoustics... i'm so completely confused on which route to go and if i should really even bother in the first place...i should note that, for the time being, i will use my infinity sub with a new setup...thanks so much for your replies and patience...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why replace all?

Granted the only "new" Infinity are the Primus...

I would start with 2 larger Infinity(especially the prior Beta) and change out the center when you find one.

Your 508 has 2EQ, so it has multiple crossovers.

Unless you just want different speakers???

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
that's what i was wondering... there won't be ay changing out for a long, LONG time... the Mrs. WILL NOT allow it, loli've had these infinitys for a good 8 years and was thinking that moving to larger drivers and a 7.1 setup would improve my 90% movie/satelite, 10% music experience... am i just pissing in the wind here?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
so a pair of these with a c25 center would be sufficient? are larger drivers in the surrounds not necessary?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sorry Sam, but I have to disagree. While the Primus 150's would be a nice upgrade from the TS-450's $119 isn't a steal IMO. The much, much better Beta 20's can be found for about the same price (maybe a bit more). I paid much less for a pair of 160's a few months ago. With $350 to spend (and spend once) I'd look for Beta 20's and a C250. Both should cost about $225 (+/-)plus shipping. The Beta's, with their larger cabinet, provide much more low-end then the Primus 160's. The Primus series semms brighter to me with the Beta's offering a softer, warmer sound.

I'll be selling the Beta 20's and C250 for $200 or the Primus 160's for $89 on CL. The OSW-1's will be $75/pr or two pair for $125. Both pairs are missing the "Infinity" logo's.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

I'll be selling the Beta 20's and C250 for $200 or the Primus 160's for $89 on CL.

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
i see you're in the Bay Area Gene, one of my best friends lives in Livermore. have you ever heard of Rose Pickups? the owner, Ken Currie is the friend i'm referring to...would you be willing to ship speakers to Kansas?and, will the Infinity Betas or Primus match my TSS-450 sats well

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My $119 "steal" was based on...

Lowest price with no cosmetic issues. There are two pairs on Amazon(and didn't completely search Fleabay) for close to the same money(at least $100, including shipping cost) with issues.

Cosmetic perfection is worth a bit extra...no matter what speaker it is.

What you are selling(if you'd ship them...and he'd pay that much) are much better.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
diceman1000 said:
i see you're in the Bay Area Gene, one of my best friends lives in Livermore. have you ever heard of Rose Pickups? the owner, Ken Currie is the friend i'm referring to... would you be willing to ship speakers to Kansas? and, will the Infinity Betas or Primus match my TSS-450 sats well
Answered already(of sorts)...

But yes. You have multiple crossovers. You'd simply set the mains at 80hz(which you currently can't do) and leave the surrounds at 125(or is it 150???).

Edit:
Yes...150.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
diceman1000 said:
so a pair of these with a c25 center would be sufficient? are larger drivers in the surrounds not necessary?
Yes, large(er) drivers in the surrounds are necessary. But...

You have WAF considerations. Is it "cost" or "looks"?

If looks, you may have to integrate a bigger front stage...wait till the improved sound is noticed...then move on to surrounds.

These Primus or Beta are plentiful on the used market. So, whenever you get to it...you'll be able to move on up.

You could re-sell the TSS(I would sell in pairs) for others needing to replace/add(dropping them and breaking them...moving themselves to 7.1....).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...not that I want to trumpet something that might be sold in a help forum...

I bought a DVD player from Gene(the Elite DV49)...and am pleased.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd ship them but they are big and heavy so it might be expensive. Let me work up an estimate.

My 160's are cosmetically challenged so that does make a difference but good ol' Frys was selling the 163's for $69 each so I wouldn't pay more than $100/pr for any used 160's/163's, but I'm cheap (sell cheap too).

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
the town i live in, Belleville, is called The Crossroads Of America because it sits directly on the US36/US81 juncion...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Last time I went through(and most times...it is about where "I get tired") I stayed at the motel in Washington that is less than a block from a Casey's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks