What's new

Beginner question...Trying to hookup projector using a hdmi to dvi cable (1 Viewer)

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
ok. I bought a used Sharp XG-v10wu projector from a local guy who had no idea what he had. Everything seemed to work ok, so I bought it. Now, I'm trying to hook it up to my NEW rca surround sound/ dvd/ blue ray player. I've tried everything...hdmi to component convertor, hdmi to dvi cable having the best results, but still no image. The projector senses the incoming signal, and I can see it on the main menu...720 x 480 along with the verticle and horizontal rates. BUT it won't project an image! I've tried everything I can think of. I think it's a compatibility problem, but I'm a graphics guy, not a electronics guru. HELP! This was supposed to be awesome for our theater but it's got me stumped. We're in a rural town too, so NOBODY knows about hooking this up.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Because that projector is DVI-I.

Get a real AVR and see if you can find one to play nice. You probably aren't going to find any BD/DVD players to play nice with DVI-I(without an AVR in the middle).

If this were DVI-D...no problem.

The "other" possibility...

Have you tried both single link and dual link?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My mind is working on DVI again(been awhile since DVI mattered)...

You "might" have to run a HDMI/DVI-D cable to a DVI-D/DVI-I adapter.

DVI-D does not connect(on the long pin) to DVI-I. So...you need the adapter. But, try a D/I adapter after you've tried both single/dual first.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
ok...mind is spinning. what is avr? and what is single and dual link? Again, sorry, I've learned more in the last 2 weeks about this stuff than the rest of my life. Lol. And my cable(s) look identical to that adapter. I have tried both hdmi to dvi(3x3) and hdmi to dvi(24pin)...do I still need to try an adapter? And I gave $300 for it including an extra bulb, and a different lens. It says the bulbs have about 400 hrs on them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AVR=Audio Video Receiver (as in, not a HTiB)

I vs. D has nothing to do with "single or dual" as single and dual exist in both.

An I is for both analog and digital. D only does digital. One of the "concessions" made when HDCP arrived(don't get us started on that) was "analog died".

DVI was(and still is) the only cable able to do analog and digital in the same cable(as DVI-I).

Look at the connector on the Sharp itself. You will see 4 pins around the long one. That "long" one is also "longer" than the DVI-D cable you bought.

Ergo, the DVD-D cable does not make "contact" with DVI-I ports. Meaning you need the DVI-D to DVI-I adapter.

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
Ahhhh, ok. Now that you mention it, I do see the 4 small pin holes in the projector, but none of my cables have those 4 pins...so adapter it is! Then go from there? "This place is a geographical audity...2 weeks from everywhere!" so it might be a few days before I know...was hoping to have it up for the superbowl...here's hoping!

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
So, while I wait for my adapter to show up...I decided I'd try something. I took an old school vcr I had that has rca outs (yellow, white, red). Ran it through a converter box my buddy has that outputs it as component (y,pb, pr) and nothing. Doesn't sense that there's anything coming in, doesn't dim the screen, nothin. UGH! I'm ready to see a picture through this thing!

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
This "sweet spot" for resolution is getting frustrating. lol I'm glad you're helping though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently it does accept 480i/P as well.

Could be the adapter was wonky.

Although have no clue why you used an adapter, since it has composite video.

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
I can plug just the yellow rca cable in? I figured it had to have the Pb, pr ones as well...

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
Ok...hdmi to dvi-I adapter came, hooked it up and no change. Still blacks out the screen, still shows 720X480 signal coming in...but no picture. Component cables should be here this week and I'm going to hook them up to a vcr/dvd player and see what happens. Any other ideas?

raw191

Grip
Real Name
Ross
RCA RTB10223 surround sound...I feel I'm overlooking something too, but it's extremely frustrating. I hope nothing is wrong with the projector...people I bought it from said it worked perfectly, but didn't have anything to hook up to it for images...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks