Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

The 'Let Go' List... Say 'Bye Bye' to a BD here

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 of 92 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 21 2014 - 02:04 PM

LOL at the True Detective reference.Yeah, I don't consider DVD -> Blu upgrades as anything more than just that - an even swap. There are a handful of DVDs I've held onto when I got a Blu (OOP Criterions mainly), but otherwise I let the DVDs go.I did watch my DVD of Treasure Planet last night and it's a goner. Bought it during my "if I like it just casually I'll buy it" phase. The nieces & nephews can have it. :)Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#22 of 92 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,739 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 21 2014 - 03:36 PM

But I just saw Alexandra Daddario on HBO's True Detective.

I don't know if I've even seen her before TD but two things about her definitely caught my attention.

#23 of 92 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted January 21 2014 - 06:37 PM

Just two?

Oh, we're getting off topic here, but in such a delightful way.

#24 of 92 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 22 2014 - 08:59 AM

Grease 2 - bought it only because of Michelle Pfeiffer.

#25 of 92 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,955 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:12 AM

Gorillas in the Mist.  Loved it and Weaver's performance when it came out, but recently bought the blu-ray and discovered it was a film I got everything out of the first time.  No real re-visitability.

#26 of 92 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,072 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:29 AM

Grease 2 - bought it only because of Michelle Pfeiffer.

That wasn't a good enough reason. I still remember that godawful song "Let's Bowl, Let's Bowl -- Let's Rock 'n' Roll". :wacko:

#27 of 92 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,521 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:55 AM

"Rolling Thunder"

I was curious to see this again having last seen it in theaters many moons ago (1977), and remembering a good William Devane performance and a revenge Paul Schrader script, so I picked up the recent Shout BD. Curiosity satisfied. Tommy Lee Jones amuses. But stick with Taxi Driver for your shelf copy of requisite Schrader violence. 

Bye bye.Joe - Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't enough to hold onto Tequila Sunrise, either. Maybe stick with The Fabulous Baker Boys.

#28 of 92 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:52 PM

That wasn't a good enough reason. I still remember that godawful song "Let's Bowl, Let's Bowl -- Let's Rock 'n' Roll". :wacko:

So, you remember the bowling song, and not "Reproduction"?  I must confess I envy you.  :huh:

#29 of 92 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,955 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 05:12 PM

So, you remember the bowling song, and not "Reproduction"?  I must confess I envy you.  :huh:

Oh dear God!!  I had forgotten "Reproduction" (mercifully) until I read that post!  But it's all come crashing back now!  How do I begin to thank you??!  :P

#30 of 92 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,521 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 11:35 AM

"The Thin Red Line" Criterion BD

Terence Malick a genius? I don't agree. I think he has a great visual sense, but he can't seem to put a coherent or compelling story together, let alone any great suspense sequence. I was curious to see if this film was as ponderous, meandering and pretentious as I remembered, and was willing to give it another chance based on some raves. Nope. Still incomprehensible. Apocalypse Now and HBO's The Pacific are keepers (Asian-set war stories). This one's a casualty of friendly fire.

Bye bye. 

#31 of 92 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 11:38 AM

^ I've been meaning to revisit it as well. If you're willing to let it go for a decent price just PM me with details and I'll take it off your hands.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#32 of 92 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,521 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:41 PM

Traded it in to local  Movie Stop already, sorry. They have a deal where you trade two BDs in and it pays for an upcoming BD release in toto. So this is helping me winnow my collection down by trading in two for one (but that one is more a keeper than the two traded in).

The movie is worth seeing again in HD for the fantastic visuals, but that's not enough for me to keep and re-visit.

#33 of 92 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:42 PM

Not a problem. :)

#34 of 92 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,521 posts

Posted January 30 2014 - 04:28 PM

"The Sting"

Lovely film. Had to see it again in Blu-ray. But if you're only going to keep one Newman-Redford classic that has much greater replay factor ... you gotta go with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. (Con films often lose their novelty 'sting,' on multiple views, if you'll pardon the pun).

Bye bye.

#35 of 92 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,955 posts

Posted January 30 2014 - 05:12 PM

"The Sting"

Lovely film. Had to see it again in Blu-ray. But if you're only going to keep one Newman-Redford classic that has much greater replay factor ... you gotta go with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. (Con films often lose their novelty 'sting,' on multiple views, if you'll pardon the pun).

Bye bye.

Isn't that funny, I had quite the opposite reaction: Butch seemed too dated to me and not something I would ever watch again, so that went into the trade pile immediately after viewing. This is what makes the world go around! LOL. 

#36 of 92 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 31 2014 - 11:51 AM

I preferred Butch Cassidy except for that bicycle riding, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" sequence.

#37 of 92 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,153 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 31 2014 - 12:14 PM

Lately I have been buying 2 disc BD cases and when I "replace" a DVD I put it in the case the with BD.  We still have TVs in a few places with built in DVD players.

#38 of 92 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,521 posts

Posted January 31 2014 - 02:40 PM

Isn't that funny, I had quite the opposite reaction: Butch seemed too dated to me and not something I would ever watch again, so that went into the trade pile immediately after viewing. This is what makes the world go around! LOL. 

I've got a soft spot for Westerns. But yes, that "Raindrops" sequence was hard to take that first time around, but I remember what a mammoth hit it was at the time and how revolutionary it was for a motion picture to break a popular song on Billboard like that. I also have a not so soft spot for Katherine Ross in that movie. Sam Elliott took her away from all of us and we haven't seen much of her since.

#39 of 92 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,301 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 08:03 AM

I agree with you 100%. Never did like Butch Cassidy. Always loved The Sting.

#40 of 92 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,072 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 01 2014 - 10:56 AM

"The Sting"

Bye bye.

I wasn't aware that we were only allowed to keep one of these films. I hope the Newman - Redford movie police don't raid my house. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users