What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Postman Always Rings Twice -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

James M. Cain's classic noir novel, translated for this 1981 production by David Mamet, directed by Bob Rafelson, and photographed by Sven Nykvist, is one of those films that just overflows with the feeling of the '40s.

This was a difficult DVD to create, as much of the imagery has a highly filtered, gauzy look.

Finally, released by Warner Home Video, everything is in place. Every grain is where it should be, with absolutely perfect and pristine textures.

Color is perfect.  Great black levels, shadow detail where it's called for.  Audio is DTS-MS HD 1.0, just where it should be.

Great performances, great film.

Great Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Haven't seen this version since it first came out in the early eighties (always preferred the John Garfield version myself).

But whenever I see the "double nickel" that RAH awards to these releases.... Well, I just lose all self control!!

Are you by any chance related to the fellow who did those Lays potato chips commercials? ("Betcha can't eat just one!")

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reed Grele said:
Haven't seen this version since it first came out in the early eighties (always preferred the John Garfield version myself).

But whenever I see the "double nickel" that RAH awards to these releases.... Well, I just lose all self control!!

Are you by any chance related to the fellow who did those Lays potato chips commercials? ("Betcha can't eat just one!")
Same here, never was a big fan of this version as the original is one of my favorite films.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Crawford said:
Same here, never was a big fan of this version as the original is one of my favorite films.
The original is black and white. This is color. What's your problem? You don't like color?I'd say it's also stereo, but...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was nine years old when this came out and I always remember the "grown ups" talking about what a good movie it was - so will definitely check it out. I was busy seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark multiples times that year. :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Robert Crawford said:
Which one? The American or the Italian version?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Robert Harris said:
The original is black and white. This is color. What's your problem? You don't like color?
I'm holding out for 3D.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Sounds great Mr Harris, I do think it's a shame that when Original Stereo Music tracks are available, they are not used for an alternate Stereo re-mix track, especially if they are taking the time to transfer the picture at 2/4K - and are likely to be the last masters produced for these films for quite some time. If the soundtrack album is in Stereo, surely the film music soundtrack can be too - assuming the D&E elements exist?

M

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Interestingly, WB Shop is listing this as a pre-order with a release on Tuesday. I'm not seeing any specs so I don't know if this is a new transfer or just different packaging.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/postman+always+rings+twice+the+1981+1000325139.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search
51UJSALzOEL._SY300_.jpg

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
This one had me hooked from the opening shot, which, if my memory is any good, was a twilight sky with dark below, and then a silhouette with a fedora, and a lit cigarette that illuminates Nicholson's face. Fantastic. I knew I was in for a great ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks