A Few Words About Warner Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,441 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 02:50 PM

James M. Cain's classic noir novel, translated for this 1981 production by David Mamet, directed by Bob Rafelson, and photographed by Sven Nykvist, is one of those films that just overflows with the feeling of the '40s.

This was a difficult DVD to create, as much of the imagery has a highly filtered, gauzy look.

Finally, released by Warner Home Video, everything is in place. Every grain is where it should be, with absolutely perfect and pristine textures.

Color is perfect.  Great black levels, shadow detail where it's called for.  Audio is DTS-MS HD 1.0, just where it should be.

Great performances, great film.

Great Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

• Davinchi likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 11 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted January 17 2014 - 03:19 PM

Haven't seen this version since it first came out in the early eighties (always preferred the John Garfield version myself).

But whenever I see the "double nickel" that RAH awards to these releases.... Well, I just lose all self control!!

Are you by any chance related to the fellow who did those Lays potato chips commercials? ("Betcha can't eat just one!")

#3 of 11 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,498 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 17 2014 - 03:47 PM

Haven't seen this version since it first came out in the early eighties (always preferred the John Garfield version myself).

But whenever I see the "double nickel" that RAH awards to these releases.... Well, I just lose all self control!!

Are you by any chance related to the fellow who did those Lays potato chips commercials? ("Betcha can't eat just one!")

Same here, never was a big fan of this version as the original is one of my favorite films.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 11 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,441 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:18 PM

Same here, never was a big fan of this version as the original is one of my favorite films.

The original is black and white. This is color. What's your problem? You don't like color?

I'd say it's also stereo, but...

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 11 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,271 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:20 PM

I was nine years old when this came out and I always remember the "grown ups" talking about what a good movie it was - so will definitely check it out.  I was busy seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark multiples times that year.  :)

#6 of 11 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 04:27 PM

Which one? The American or the Italian version?

#7 of 11 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 04:28 PM

The original is black and white. This is color. What's your problem? You don't like color?

I'm holding out for 3D.

#8 of 11 davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 363 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted January 18 2014 - 04:39 PM

"Just turn the color off" used to be the mantra.

• nara likes this

#9 of 11 Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony

Second Unit

• 446 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 05:25 AM

Sounds great Mr Harris, I do think it's a shame that when Original Stereo Music tracks are available, they are not used for an alternate Stereo re-mix track, especially if they are taking the time to transfer the picture at 2/4K - and are likely to be the last masters produced for these films for quite some time. If the soundtrack album is in Stereo, surely the film music soundtrack can be too - assuming the D&E elements exist?

M

#10 of 11 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,015 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 19 2014 - 11:39 AM

Interestingly, WB Shop is listing this as a pre-order with a release on Tuesday. I'm not seeing any specs so I don't know if this is a new transfer or just different packaging.

http://www.wbshop.co...pe=&from=Search

51UJSALzOEL._SY300_.jpg

Rich Gallagher

#11 of 11 theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 297 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted January 19 2014 - 03:32 PM

This one had me hooked from the opening shot, which, if my memory is any good, was a twilight sky with dark below, and then a silhouette with a fedora, and a lit cigarette that illuminates Nicholson's face. Fantastic. I knew I was in for a great ride. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Warner, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users