A Few Words About BBC Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,447 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 02:41 PM

The 1995 UK mini-series -- all 5 hours and 27 minutes of it -- is a very high quality production of one of Jane Austen's masterworks.

Shot in super 16mm, with audio originally in Dolby stereo, the entire series is a joy to both the eye and ear.

Quality of the new Blu-ray is superb.  There was an earlier variant, and I've not checked the difference.

Directed by Simon Langdon, dramatized by Andrew Davies (Bleak House, Mr. Selfridge), and with a score by the brilliant Carl Davis, the series shines.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Highly recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 8 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted January 19 2014 - 08:21 AM

I was forced to watch this in school on VHS and I recall being the only person who enjoyed it (and the book!). I bought the UK Blu-ray a few years ago and was still mightily impressed.

#3 of 8 Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 09:18 AM

I've always enjoyed the BBC mini-series version from 1985, with Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul. That version gets the period and manners more precise than any other. The classic scene with Lizzy and Darcy at odds is portrayed supremely.

• David_B_K likes this

#4 of 8 theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 297 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted January 19 2014 - 03:29 PM

The earlier blu was pretty darn good. I for one had never imagined you could get that quality of image out of 16mm. The discs also included a brief, reasonably informative chat from the technician who supervised the restoration. Did they go back and do it all over? Or is this the same work simply re-packaged?

#5 of 8 Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 05:58 PM

I'd also be interested whether this new bluray is an improvement over the original.

#6 of 8 benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,831 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 05:14 AM

Excellent miniseries. In fact, I'd call it one of the finest adaptation of a novel ever made.

Given that it was shot in 16mm, and originally shown 4:3, it looks quite good in this reframed widescreen presentation at 1.75:1. 

I also recommend it highly.

#7 of 8 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted January 20 2014 - 08:00 AM

Given that it was shot in 16mm, and originally shown 4:3, it looks quite good in this reframed widescreen presentation at 1.75:1. 

It was shot Super16, and as demonstrated in the below caps, we're gaining much more on the sides than we are losing top and bottom:

http://www.dvdbeaver...ice_blu-ray.htm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was originally composed wide going by the Blu-ray framing.

• benbess likes this

#8 of 8 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,245 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 20 2014 - 12:35 PM

It was shot Super16, and as demonstrated in the below caps, we're gaining much more on the sides than we are losing top and bottom:

http://www.dvdbeaver...ice_blu-ray.htm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was originally composed wide going by the Blu-ray framing.

Super16mm has a native aspect ratio of 1.66:1, so both 1.33:1 and 1.78:1 are cropped, with 1.78:1 being less so.

• benbess likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, BBC, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users