What's new

Help with new/old system (1 Viewer)

kk5263

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Hope I'm in the right spot
Hi everyone
I'm new to the site and would like some help.

My 18 year old Sony 53" TV was dying so I'm up dating. What an eye opener, way to much stuff to look at
icon_eek.gif.pagespeed.ce.UuQ3Q-OKZ9.gif

My old system was a bunch of stuff put together and for the most part worked OK. Its been in 2 houses, 2 renovations. Time to update where needed but all in time.
My old system consisted of:

Sony KP-53V35 (Sept 1996)
JVC RX-880V
4 Realistic Mach 2's
2 PBS Alpha shelf speakers
I used the TV for a center speaker

I've upgraded with a Sony KDL70r550a and that's were I stand. I was looking at audio stuff. There is so much to look at. Not sure which way to go and what I can us from what I already have.

I've looked at Bose Cinemate GS Series ll love the sound (in the store)but that's all I can do with it.
and also looked at Sony STR-DA1800es. Very expandable (compared to the Bose) I think I can still use some of my old stuff and add to it in time as I can afford it.

I've always had JVC stereos and I like Sony (18 years of trouble free service and still working in the shop)

Is there is anything I've left out?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Ken

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Forget Blose(misspelled on purpose).

Nothing "wrong" with a Sony AVR. The ES line Sony still makes an attempt at not sucking.

The trick will be find a center speaker to match the Mach 2. But nothing wrong with a used speaker...

You could try a pair of Minimus 2.5* wired series(and sitting next to each other...as in cabinets touching) as your center.

*Yeah I know they are "10watts max". Wired series doubles the OHM load(halving power) and you get the added bene of 2 speakers...vs one. You can pick up a pair on Ebay for

kk5263

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
I thought there would be more reply's then this.(Thank for the reply HTF) I am pretty open to what receiver I could use. Just tiring to use as much of my old stuff as possible. If I can't us it that's alright too.
Your right the Bose would work for say a bedroom system where you don't have a lot of room.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well AVR choice is 99% personal preference. Didn't say if you want/needZone 2NetworkingRemote appsHDMI upconversion Internal HDMI matrixSo, with nothing to go on...

kk5263

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
The room the system is in now is aliving roomapprox. 17 x 15My system is a blend of old and new.It is a multifunction room Movie, music and TVI will in the future be building an addition on the house for a family room / TV room.I do not mind buying used and or new when its in the budget I'd rather buy Middle of the road or higher, but will only buy one piece at a time. I'd like to incorporate as much as I can of what I have now. After reading some of the other posts I did find out that I do have another set of small speakers that I can use as a center speaker.The system I have now worked OK on the old TV but with it set up on the new TV it sounds like your in an echo chamber. with no HDMI on the old JVC I suspect that is what the problem is.Do I still need a separate sub with 4 - 15" subs in the Mach 2'sHow much difference is there in sound from a 5.1 to 7.1 system?I'm new to all this app thing

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends how low the Machs play.Subwoofers play 120hz and lower only, hence...why they are sub-woofer.Old as in?Victrola?Magnavox Odyssey?Reel-to-reel?Beta/VHS?

kk5263

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Now I may be wrong (I have been once in the past) What I read the Mach 2's go from 25 - 40,000 hz adjustable
Old ? 1996 Sony 53", JVC RX-880V approx. 2008-9, Mach 2's 1985 - 91
Most of the movies we watch are down loaded on to a stick.
HD TV Bell satellite
We watch TV first and split between music and movies

kk5263

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Thanks for the reply's. I think I'll keep looking for a 7.1 because as you can see I keep my stuff a long, long time and an addition is coming in the not to distant future so being able to expand if I need to would defiantly work for me. I'll work with what I got. I'd keep my JVC if I could get it in sync, the echo and or lips moving at a different speed will drive me nuts eventually I'm sure.

Thanks againKen

kk5263

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Well I bought a Yamaha RX-V575 at Future Shop For $299.99 new in box. I'm still playing with the set up. That will come in time.

Thanks again for your help

kk5263

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Well after fixing some cable issues the combination is working good. If it goes into a bigger room the Yamaha could probably use more power but in a 17' x 15' room it has lots of power. The Yamaha also plays nice with the Sony ;-)~I will add a sub later but that was enough money spent on it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks