Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone join the DISNEY MOVIE CLUB?

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 of 34 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,575 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 12:05 AM

Thanks, Tony.

I am not going to try and call Disney Movie club and wrangle a better deal.

I am fine with the deal I have.  I don't see me rejoining the club.  I am simply 

using it just this once to get caught up with several "classics" that I don't currently

own.   After that, I am just going to be more diligent in buying them when they come

out.

Have Jungle Book on Amazon preorder.  Might cancel that preorder and do it

through the club to get closer to my contract fulfillment.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#22 of 34 Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 04:58 AM

Ronald:

I have been a member for several years and I joined primarily for their Exclusives of the vintage/Walt-era live action titles (i.e. The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men, The Fighting Prince of Donegal, The Sword and the Rose, So Dear to My Heart, etc.).  Once you fulfill the order commitment and reach VIP status, the deals are pretty good (1st move at regular price but additional ones at 50% or 60% off, free shipping, etc.).  I have not been disappointed at all for joining.

Darby

#23 of 34 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,244 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 06 2014 - 10:16 AM

After seeing the offer pop up in various forms, I decided to go for it, especially with that coupon code (thanks David!). I don't know if I'll go to the trouble of cancelling and going another round. I guess I'll see if things are worthwhile with premier status. As it is, I'll have no problem fulfilling the two-title commitment, especially with Frozen coming out next month and the availability of Miyazaki titles I didn't make in the initial selection.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#24 of 34 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted February 06 2014 - 08:35 PM

Joining the DMC was the only way for me to get "Gargoyles: Season 2 vol.2", so I got it and yah... I am still a member, got some titles I didn't want.

When I first ordered "Gargoyles," they actually sent me not the three copies I ordered, but three copies of "Bernie Rides again." Le sigh.
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#25 of 34 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,244 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 06 2014 - 08:50 PM

Oh, I quite liked that series, too!

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#26 of 34 Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:24 PM

Brad here.  Well I was just referred to DMC by a FB friend.  I agree, the deals definitely look good (you now get 4 titles for $1.00 each, a $14.95 title that counts and a $9.95 bonus title that doesn't count.    As my Disney Blu-ray collection stands at only 3 titles (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Jungle Book (Diamond Edition) and now Frozen), this might be a nice way to build the collection with my most desired Disney titles, that is when some of the are released on blu.

Strongly considering it at this point.  This is also how I started my DVD collection back in 2000 (thru, Columbia of course).

#27 of 34 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,964 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 24 2014 - 06:03 PM

Brad here.  Well I was just referred to DMC by a FB friend.  I agree, the deals definitely look good (you now get 4 titles for $1.00 each, a $14.95 title that counts and a $9.95 bonus title that doesn't count.    As my Disney Blu-ray collection stands at only 3 titles (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Jungle Book (Diamond Edition) and now Frozen), this might be a nice way to build the collection with my most desired Disney titles, that is when some of the are released on blu.
Strongly considering it at this point.  This is also how I started my DVD collection back in 2000 (thru, Columbia of course).

That doesn't even sound like the best deal available though you didn't say have many full price you have to buy

The best known current promo code ( 10042B ) I think I listed earlier in the thread post 11 with some other details and a link which has a massive amount of information and ways to maximize your purchases -- Buy 5 for $1 with FS (total, not each), 6th in 11.95 and counts as your first commitment, 7th is 8.95 but doesn't count as a commit, then buy 2 more Bluray 29.95+ in the next 2 years. The best way to enroll is to call DMC after making your list of wanted items -- like a lot of these clubs all the eligible enrollment items aren't listed on the signup website.

Apparently the Refer-a-Friend deal which gets the referrer a couple bonus movies now even allows you to input the
best code and gets your friend his bonus (it used to be one or the other).

#28 of 34 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 06:35 PM

I've done the club twice before, and I just recently joined again to catch up on the Studio Ghibli blu-rays. The initial batch is like a Christmas present, but it sucks paying above retail later on to fulfill the commitment.  Yeah, I know, First World problems.  :D

#29 of 34 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,891 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 07:52 PM

The club's 3-D availability is hit-or-miss. Sometimes you can pre-order a 3-D title, but mostly they do not offer the 3-D version until months after release. Another problem I have with the Blu-ray club is that, unlike with the DVD club, you cannot cancel the negative option for monthly selections after you fulfill the membership obligation -- meaning, you cannot request that selections not be sent to you unless you specifically purchase them. Therefore, if you are not vigilant, you wind up being shipped titles you hadn't intended to order, and have to wait a month for a refund on your return.

It's probably worth quitting the club for a year or so and letting their inventory grow, and then rejoin when there are enough new additions for you to be able to knock off at least a few of the obligatory movies.

#30 of 34 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,964 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:32 PM

I've done the club twice before, and I just recently joined again to catch up on the Studio Ghibli blu-rays. The initial batch is like a Christmas present, but it sucks paying above retail later on to fulfill the commitment.  Yeah, I know, First World problems.  :D

It just makes it better to think of the club as a Group Purchase. You can't think of those $0.20 items as separate than the $25 or $30 commitments. 9 or 10 movies for $80 is a better thought process.
  • Cameron Yee likes this

#31 of 34 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,575 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:55 PM

Been in the club for a few short months now.

Very happy with the initial deal I got.  Wasn't the best deal, but I was able

to complete all the major classic animation releases I did not have.

I have 4 titles to buy over (I believe) two years.  About to order the Thor

sequel in 3D.  It will cost me $29.95 plus shipping, but I expected that to

be expensive.

I probably will never join again.  I was only interested in their classic 

animated titles.  I am going to be more careful to order them on release

day from now on.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#32 of 34 HotRodHank

HotRodHank

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:34 PM

Brad here . I noticed that you can now get The Rescuers Down Under as part of a double feature. I think TRDU is Blu but not 100% sure? Anybody here know for sure?

#33 of 34 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 25 2014 - 12:47 PM

I've been a member for a little over a year now. My latest purchase is probably one of the two reasons I will continue with them for at least a little while. They had a twofer featured selection of Saving Mr. Banks/Mary Poppins, where you got both for under $40 Cdn. Given that the current price for Banks at Walmart is ~$27 and the same for Mary Poppins, I've saved about $14. In addition, they had a promo on Marvel titles in addition to their typical buy one, get one at 40% off promo, which means I was able to walk away with the 3D pack of Iron Man 3 for just over $20 Cdn. Since the Iron Man combo regularly retails for between $40 and $50, that was a killer deal.

@ Brad. The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under Double Feature is indeed a BD. Both films on 1 BD, plus individual DVDs.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#34 of 34 Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 11:35 PM

Brad here.  Well I just joined up using the still-working Bonus code I saw earlier in this thread.  Got my 5 blus for $1.00,  $11.95 one purchase and one for $8.95.     My choices:

The Little Mermaid

Mary Poppins

Oz, The Great & Powerful

The Lone Ranger (OK don't laugh, I rather enjoyed that flick even if I didn't like their treatment of Christians in the movie).

The Rescuers/ The Rescuers Down Under double Blu

The Incredibles

Race to Witch Mountain

I did consider calling DMC to see about getting The Rocketeer included in the package but decided just to make that one of my future required selections.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users