Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Small minimalist HT system

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   duncanaxisa

duncanaxisa

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:28 AM

I am very inexperienced when it comes to HT, speakers and sound quality. I have read several similar posts on here but some questions persist in my mind. I would like to have a new HT setup as part of the basement remodel. My objective is to equip a HT with a small neat life-style orientated speaker package with good build quality and sound quality for watching movies. The room is about 10x12 ft. The goal is to obtain the best movie experience on a fixed projector screen. I would like to do the work myself if possible.

- The room isn't built yet. Other than wiring, what else should I be thinking about? I read that acoustics are important. Should I consider acoustic diffuser panels to minimize scattering? I am not concerned about sound transmission to other rooms but rather improving sound quality? Floor will be carpeted.
- Any recommendations on fixed projector screen 100" for under $1k? Room will be very dark.
- Any recommendations on projector for under $1k?
- For a room this size, is it worth getting 7.1 or 5.1?
- And finally .... what speakers and receiver would you recommend for a 5.1/7.1 system for under $3k? I think that in wall/ceiling speakers would look neat but I understand these are expensive and often have weaknesses. Maybe the ideal setup would be slim LCR, ceiling SL/SR and slim SBL/SBR. Pros/cons for this combo? Is it better to avoid ceiling altogether and just do slims? Are slims just not good enough for a rich movie experience and therefore compact bookshelves present better quality and options for the 5.1/7.1 setup? I would appreciate recommendations with brand/model config.

Thanks for your help with this.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,239 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 16 2014 - 04:20 PM

Speakers should always, always, be the biggest you can live with.

Have no idea why you would spend $1000 on a screen for a $1000 projector is insane.

You can DIY a screen for $300, then spend $1700 on a projector.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   GregC

GregC

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted February 08 2014 - 04:35 PM

A good receiver choice is:

http://usa.yamaha.co...k_u/?mode=model

There are models above and below if you need more or less power/features.

As to speakers, I would look at GoldenEar, perhaps small towers in the front and on-walls for the rears (or on-walls all around if you prefer).  

http://www.goldenear...-series?gktab=4

The Triton Sevens have been getting nice reviews:

http://www.goldenear...s/triton-series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users