What's new

The Lesson To Be Learned From A Proper Batman Release (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The saying goes "You are never too old to learn," and I learned a valuable lesson here, PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. I think it's safe to say that most of us on here had come to believe this one was dead and buried, but somehow it got done. I can't tell you how many times, I considered "other" ways to obtain this show, but I'm glad I waited. I can't wait to see those beautiful colors remastered. It also gives me fresh hope and optimism about the other "most wanted, least likely" show that many of us had sounded the death knell on....The Wonder Years. My thought now is, "if they can get Batman done, maybe they can get that one done." I guess anything is possible in this hobby. Now, I'm still not gonna hold my breath for a remastered release of Many Happy Returns or Judd For The Defense, but you get my point.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
My ancient "Batman" View Master reels, taken by 3-D cameras (of course) on the sets of the TV series, look INCREDIBLE. The Blu-Ray of this series could be WONDERFUL. Memo to waiting self: STAY ALIVE, STAY ALIVE, STAY ALIVE!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think it's safe to say that most of us on here had come to believe this one was dead and buried, but somehow it got done.
According to studio execs at both Fox and Warner that I had been discussing this title
with for well over a decade now, it was the impossible dream.

In their words, it was something that was so wrapped up in legal red tape that the
series would never see the light of day.

But, Frank, you are correct. It took a great deal of patience and hope despite the
news we were hearing. I know that the person running Fox's Home Entertainment
department had a very personal interest in getting this released. Seeing that Warner
has release rights, I suppose there was equal interest on their end. It just took forever
for both studios to work out the problems which were NOT studio related. The rights
to this show was tied up in estates.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps- after all, we do get to see Britt Reid and Kato on the Batman series, so hopefully a release is in the works.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Frank Soyke said:
I know it's jumping the gun, but I'm wondering if this resolution means anything for The Green Hornet.
You read my mind! When I read the Batman DVD announcement, I immediately thought about the Green Hornet DVD availability. I want this one as much or more than Batman.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
phenri said:
You read my mind! When I read the Batman DVD announcement, I immediately thought about the Green Hornet DVD availability. I want this one as much or more than Batman.
It probably further confirms an accord between Fox and the owners of the Greenway estate assets, but it doesn't say anything about the owners of the Green Hornet (not DC) or Fox's interest in getting that show released. Since Fox is again working with Shout, perhaps that is a possibility.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I still have my Green Hornet toy car from the '60s with the Green Hornet logo on it! (in "played-with" condition).

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
It's a example of how time and effort can accomplish a task. I also wonder on the Warner end how much of the realization of how much people want certain older titles, re-fueled a desire to fix problems with this one, aka one of the biggest of them all to go after. I think it stands a decent chance to say, if they can solve this, there's very few things that the towel ever need be thrown in on.

On the Hornet, while the show would be cool. I think one of the true things that need to happen is that some of the older radio characters need to get some better marketing nowadays. While some are thankful to have other mediums, they're at a very lesser chance to be found compared to how much easier is it to get our hands on other mediums. If some of them got some more rise in the public eye, then perchance they'll get to fixing up the Hornet too.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Frank Soyke said:
I know it's jumping the gun, but I'm wondering if this resolution means anything for The Green Hornet.
It means that if the rights holder wants our money, they ought to realize that they'll have a much easier time getting it from us than they will getting it from our Estates. As Ringo Starr once said (in "Help!"; there's a swell Blu-Ray of it), "There's a certain amount of hurry-up involved".

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I saw a Green Hornet marathon on the SciFi channel around the time the movie came out a couple years back. The show looked pretty darn good, but I can't be sure they were actually in HD or not.

Why was it never in syndication like Batman? Not enough episodes?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Frank Soyke said:
The saying goes "You are never too old to learn," and I learned a valuable lesson here, PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. I think it's safe to say that most of us on here had come to believe this one was dead and buried, but somehow it got done. I can't tell you how many times, I considered "other" ways to obtain this show, but I'm glad I waited. I can't wait to see those beautiful colors remastered. It also gives me fresh hope and optimism about the other "most wanted, least likely" show that many of us had sounded the death knell on....The Wonder Years. My thought now is, "if they can get Batman done, maybe they can get that one done." I guess anything is possible in this hobby. Now, I'm still not gonna hold my breath for a remastered release of Many Happy Returns or Judd For The Defense, but you get my point.
i think people are beginning to see the wisdom in what i have been saying all along with regards to stuff being released.

patience !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
btw, i have already gone on record here stating that i think the wonder years will be released.

and i will once again repeat why - you gotta bunch of entities all arguing about how much their portion is worth - rights to this song, rights to this phrase, etc. etc.

and they all pounce their fists on the desk saying they wont budge, etc. etc.

some wise little mouse steps up, and asks them if they want to make something from a release, or keep bickering and backering until they die, and MAKE NOTHING.

it only takes an understanding of human nature to have good insights as to what will happen in situations.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
jimmyjet said:
some wise little mouse steps up, and asks them if they want to make something from a release, or keep bickering and backering until they die, and MAKE NOTHING.
or even worse...the original 60s fan base dies out.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i guess we could debate that one - but i do not think these shows are dependent upon the people who originally viewed them.

granted, it might take some advertising to those who arent aware. so there may not be the immediate captive audience.

but i do not think that only the original viewers will like them.

in fact, i think it is the new base who will end up spending more on them than us originals - cuz as you said, we will die off.

but i think the quality of the show, and the message that it tells will be relevant many centuries later.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Now I wonder, will we see the 1968 Filmation series someday? But seriously, this has to be the answer to the biggest prayer in geek-dom ;-) I guess that and proper releases of the REAL Original Trilogy on DVD...ahem, Disney?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
jimmyjet said:
i guess we could debate that one - but i do not think these shows are dependent upon the people who originally viewed them.

granted, it might take some advertising to those who arent aware. so there may not be the immediate captive audience.

but i do not think that only the original viewers will like them.

in fact, i think it is the new base who will end up spending more on them than us originals - cuz as you said, we will die off.

but i think the quality of the show, and the message that it tells will be relevant many centuries later.
I agree, and I also think that the qualitIES of the show are not replicable today. The "Batman" TV series is constantly referenced in today's pop culture ("Bat-usi" anyone?), but anyone watching an episode wouldn't mistake it for anything made in 2014.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Good thoughts, Frank. If possible to handle delicately enough, and if ultimately interesting enough, I'd love to see a bonus feature included that explains and details this show's journey to home video.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Traveling Matt said:
Good thoughts, Frank. If possible to handle delicately enough, and if ultimately interesting enough, I'd love to see a bonus feature included that explains and details this show's journey to home video.
a featurette on why it's taken about 4 decades to see any official release would be a nice inclusion, but since there was a lot of red tape to go through, doing it in a tounge-in-check style would be the best way to tell the story. Too bad William Dozier isn't around anymore as he could of narrated it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks