Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official 2014 Oscar Nominations Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 of 158 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 15 2014 - 08:27 PM

It's that time of year again!

Red Carpets, elegant gowns, spiffy tuxedos, long "thank you" speeches and high honors for cinematic achievement! 

The Academy Awards!

gallery_286742_34_15851.jpg  gallery_286742_34_63116.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 158 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,154 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:20 AM

I will start the WTFs: BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR getting nothing. STORIES WE TELL no love from the documentary department. Feel bad for Robert Redford but it was a very crowded field. INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS no hope for any box office now. Lets go GROWN UPS 3 and its green light. HER blah. Saw this last night and didn't care for it. I doubt most in America will either so somewhat of a head scratcher. Overall I thought the list was pretty good. Still not feeling the 12 YEARS A SLAVE orgy as it has overshadowed both THE BUTLER and FRUITVALE STATION.

Edited by Michael Elliott, January 16 2014 - 06:36 AM.

• mattCR likes this

#3 of 158 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,186 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:22 AM

Personally, I am stunned Emma Thompson did not receive a nomination for Saving Mr. Banks.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 158 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:27 AM

Personally, I am stunned Emma Thompson did not receive a nomination for Saving Mr. Banks.

That is indeed surprising, even though I wasn't a fan of the film.  I would have never have guessed that Saving Mr. Banks would get the same number of nominations as Bad Grandpa.

#5 of 158 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:35 AM

Really glad to see Jonah Hill on the Supporting Actor list and that Philomena is a Best Picture nom.

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#6 of 158 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,154 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:38 AM

I need to see Philomena and August Osage County to finish off the bigger awards. I haven't heard anything good about the second title so I'm a little surprised to have the noms, although Streep gets nominated for everything.

#7 of 158 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:42 AM

Happy to see lots of deserved attention for The Wolf Of Wall Street.

For once, I don't have anything to catch up on (although I still want to see Frozen- nominee or not).

I thought Tom Hanks gave possibly the best performance of his career in Captain Phillips so I'm frankly stunned that he didn't get even nominated.

Dallas Buyers Club, Her, Nebraska and Philomena were all fine movies but Inside Llewyn Davis was so much better so it's lame (though not entirely unexpected) that it didn't even get a BP nomination.

#8 of 158 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:58 AM

If my counts are right, Gravity & American Hustle lead the way with 10 nods; 12 Years A Slave is nipping at their heels with 9.

Biggest shocker to me: no Best Actor nod for Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips). He had to have been a close miss.

Re: Streep over Thompson. Just proof that there's a large percentage of Academy voters who are going to tick the box next to Streep's name no matter what. I thought Thompson was extraordinary in Saving Mr. Banks and should have got the nomination, but in the end it won't matter - this is Cate Blanchett's year.

Re: Disappointed (but not surprised) at the lack of love for Inside Llewyn Davis. I was certain there would be a Song nomination for the hilarious "Please, Mr. Kennedy".

For the second year in a row, David O. Russell has directed four actors to nominations, one per category. And I'm predicting that (like last year) there will be one winner out of the four, and that will be Jennifer Lawrence.

Best Actor is a real horse race. Jarod Leto is probably the favorite for Supporting Actor, but Jonah Hill could give him a run for his money.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#9 of 158 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,586 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 16 2014 - 07:00 AM

Very happy that Gravity leads with 10 nominations tied with American Hustle.

#10 of 158 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,154 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 16 2014 - 07:15 AM

I predicted Blanchett the second the lights came up in the theater so to me she's a sure thing Actor is the roughest category. The message and weight loss of Matthew makes him a favorite but DiCaprio was so damn great as well. Like Peter Fonda in ULEE'S GOLD, Dern's nomination is his win.

#11 of 158 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted January 16 2014 - 07:27 AM

Do Academy members actually watch the films they vote for?

#12 of 158 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,154 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 16 2014 - 08:04 AM

Do Academy members actually watch the films they vote for?

I seriously doubt it. That's why the Critic awards are probably more accurate but the Oscars are just insiders congratulating insiders.

#13 of 158 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 08:10 AM

Biggest shocker to me: no Best Actor nod for Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips). He had to have been a close miss.

Yeah, I'm guessing that having both Captain Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks split the vote for him.

#14 of 158 OFFLINE   Freddie Z

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 08:27 AM

Well, I saw 8 out of the 9 Best Pictures.  Maybe I'll go out and watch Dallas Buyers Club now.  Anyway, was shocked that Tom Hanks didn't get a nom for Captain Phillips but I have to say the 5 nominees were deserving.  Just a crowded field.  Also, surely there were enough good films to warrant 10 Best Picture nominees.

#15 of 158 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 16 2014 - 08:57 AM

Stunned, just stunned at the exclusion of Blue is the Warmest Color from best foreign films.  Just.. wow.   Biggest shock to me of the whole thing.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#16 of 158 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,154 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:01 AM

Both actresses from BLUE deserved to be nominated but I knew that would be a very long shot. Supporting Actor for James Gandolfini is another miss.

#17 of 158 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,387 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:06 AM

It's hard to argue that Bradley Cooper was more deserving of a Best Supporting Actor slot than George Clooney. I think Clooney got overlooked because a lot of voters thought it was just Clooney being Clooney, but he did some really subtle work in Gravity and Cooper was just way too over-the-top in American Hustle.

#18 of 158 OFFLINE   Freddie Z

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:08 AM

To be fair, Blue is the Warmest Color was not eligible for this year's Foreign Language category.  You can blame France for that.

#19 of 158 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:52 AM

Remember when Jonah Hill broke out just 6 and a half years ago in Superbad (2007)? Is there ANYBODY who would have predicted then that he would have earned two Oscar nominations by the time he was 30??

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#20 of 158 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 10:00 AM

It's hard to argue that Bradley Cooper was more deserving of a Best Supporting Actor slot than George Clooney. I think Clooney got overlooked because a lot of voters thought it was just Clooney being Clooney...

I think another thing against Clooney was that even for a supporting role, he had a fairly small part in Gravity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users