-

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109)

• Please log in to reply
535 replies to this topic

#381 of 536 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted August 19 2014 - 04:07 PM

I've had my pre-order in with Shout for a while now. So, as promised, once it arrives I will be going through each episode to let everyone here now exactly what is or is not on the set.

I think I thanked you before for taking the bullet for the rest of us.

Your review/nitpicking will decide whether I order it early or not at all.

Even something as small as all the episodes running at 25 minutes and being unedited would probably convince me to buy the set.

• MatthewA and BobO'Link like this

#382 of 536 ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 541 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 06:41 PM

I've had my pre-order in with Shout for a while now. So, as promised, once it arrives I will be going through each episode to let everyone here now exactly what is or is not on the set.

I want to thank you, also. Your review will let me decide whether or not I cancel my pre-order with Amazon.

#383 of 536 Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts
  • LocationHamilton, MA

Posted August 25 2014 - 10:34 AM

Just tweeted Shout Factory and the reply was that they're still finalizing some of the clearances and expect an announcement by end of next week. Keep those fingers crossed!
  • MatthewA and ScottDombrowski like this

#384 of 536 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,582 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 25 2014 - 10:44 AM

^Boy... they're cutting it *close*! With a September 23rdth "get it on" date when ordered direct that gives them only 2-3 weeks to get the sets ready and shipped!

#385 of 536 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 11:28 AM

^Boy... they're cutting it *close*! With a September 23rdth "get it on" date when ordered direct that gives them only 2-3 weeks to get the sets ready and shipped!

Might be part of their negotiating tactics for licensors to let them know that the train is leaving the station.

#386 of 536 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 10:01 AM

Even though there's nothing concrete out yet, I like they way this is going...

#387 of 536 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 10:18 AM

Antenna TV aired the episode that focused on the Russian hog expert who has a crush on Bailey and featured the song Tiny Dancer. All evidence of that song was removed. Hope it's back in this new set because of the dialogue that uses the lyrics from the song.

#388 of 536 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 11:05 AM

What has me worried with this 'down to the wire' business is this doesn't leave much time for any type of good editing for the episodes with unclearable music. Especially if there is any re-recording of dialogue or new dialogue that needs to be put in place over existing scenes to remove the music. If they wait until the very last minute, then I'm guessing that the solution is going to be to delete the scenes with unclearable music all together. I'm not going to be too happy about that if it happens. Or they may have to go with existing dubbed dialogue from the current syndication package. From what I hear, that stuff is pretty bad and highly noticeable. 

I'm willing to give Shout the benefit of the doubt, but they've burned me once too often for me to completely trust them.

#389 of 536 ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 541 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 12:16 PM

What has me worried with this 'down to the wire' business is this doesn't leave much time for any type of good editing for the episodes with unclearable music. Especially if there is any re-recording of dialogue or new dialogue that needs to be put in place over existing scenes to remove the music. If they wait until the very last minute, then I'm guessing that the solution is going to be to delete the scenes with unclearable music all together. I'm not going to be too happy about that if it happens. Or they may have to go with existing dubbed dialogue from the current syndication package. From what I hear, that stuff is pretty bad and highly noticeable. 

I'm willing to give Shout the benefit of the doubt, but they've burned me once too often for me to completely trust them.

I'm thinking the same as you.

Shout and "down to the wire" doesn't sound that good together. They flub up more often than I would like.

I hope I end up completely wrong about my concerns.

#390 of 536 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 11:24 AM

A little bit more news on this from S!F here... http://www.newsday.c...n-dvd-1.9070819

#391 of 536 Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 12:50 PM

I wish we would get both the original broadcast cut and the original syndication cut, because many of the shows play much funnier in the syndicated cut. The one with Carlson's son is the first that comes to mind. The confrontation between Venus and him is much funnier in the syndicated edit. 

#392 of 536 Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 02:09 PM

I wish we would get both the original broadcast cut and the original syndication cut, because many of the shows play much funnier in the syndicated cut. The one with Carlson's son is the first that comes to mind. The confrontation between Venus and him is much funnier in the syndicated edit. 

How so?

• Ron1973 likes this

#393 of 536 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,089 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 29 2014 - 03:16 PM

No. It isn't.
facebook.com/whotony

#394 of 536 Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 07:10 PM

How so?

When his son calls Venus "boy" they cut away from it right after the comment, keeping it lighter. In the original version, the confrontation is ugly and awkward as Venus grabs him & picks him up.

The scene resumes in both versions with the son saying "He just tried to kill me!" Then  Herb saying "Venus shouldn't be picking on little white kids!

"How about big white kids!?!" :lol:

#395 of 536 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 08:48 AM

i think whatever delays are a good thing

as i said earlier, i thought wonder years would set a precedent for all these shows where music rights is an issue

the rights holders are seeing just how much was cleared for that show, and are beginning to realize that something is indeed better than nothing

plus whatever deal they worked out with wonder years will probably be a blueprint for starting out with other shows.

#396 of 536 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well, here we are in September and the set is supposed to ship 21 days from now. So far, there has been no news of any delays or rescheduling of the release date. In my opinion it looks like this is a go. Shout could still delay the release date or even choose not to do the early shipping for the direct pre-orders. Until the set is in my hands, anything is possible. At this point however, it is my firm guess that the train has left the station. Time's up. Now all I can do is keep my fingers crossed that things turn out well. I'll know in 21 days or less.

Please, please, oh please Shout don't mess this one up.

• HenryDuBrow and Ron1973 like this

#397 of 536 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 02 2014 - 11:55 AM

I kind of already made my peace with the fact we won't hear Pink Floyd on this release and a few others... it is just normal that it would be so hard to get certain songs. If they did all they could and secured as much music as possible then I'm in for it. It comes down to the songs Wonder Years did really well for their set, but again it comes down to the songs / artists / labels they needed to license from. I have my fingers crossed for at least over 90% of the music. But am I over shooting?

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#398 of 536 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,802 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 02 2014 - 01:05 PM

It comes down to the songs Wonder Years did really well for their set, but again it comes down to the songs / artists / labels they needed to license from. I have my fingers crossed for at least over 90% of the music. But am I over shooting?

The Wonder Years and its success with clearing so much music is going to be what the WKRP set gets compared to and WKRP is going to get killed by fans who compare the two. In my opinion, it's not even fair to compare the two because the price for The Wonder Years is more than double than WKRP and I'm sure Time Life is planning on selling more of The Wonder Years than Shout is going to sell of WKRP.

• cafink likes this

#399 of 536 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 02 2014 - 03:05 PM

Just saying no matter who releases these shows Shout or Life Time it all comes down to the songs / artist / labels. if Wonder Years contained 10 Led Zeppelin tracks chances are we'd be very dissapointed with the release.

it would be great if maybe this week Shout gives fans news about what was cleared and what couldn't be cleared. Better to be up front you can get more sales. I'm more prone to buy the set knowing what I am getting rather then be angry as I watch the set and find out that way.
  • TravisR likes this

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#400 of 536 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 08:05 AM

That is surely something S!F must have considered too, to say or not to say, by not saying anything (knowing fans would cause an uproar if the release is poor) it would seem like they're fairly sure most people will be happy. Otherwise silence is risking one's neck big time, they know this particular show's huge importance in the cult TV landscape.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users