Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

A Sneak Peek at The Blue Max

Fox Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 of 83 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 10:34 PM

POPULAR

Yes, there's teal. And blue, green, gray, brown, black, red, orange, yellow...

Ended up watching the whole thing, Bruce's evaluation is spot on. It looked wonderful on the projector at 8' wide.
  • Adam Gregorich, ahollis, ROclockCK and 1 other like this
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#42 of 83 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 12 2014 - 10:53 PM

You heard about it at the beginning of this thread, weeks ago :) I'm waiting for the first person to say there's a "teal push." I'm ready, baby!

I was actually ready to hear this for Fox's THE INN OF THE SIXTH HAPPINESS. Which I thought was an excellent transfer and replicated what it would have looked like on the big CinemaScope screen back in its release year.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#43 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted February 13 2014 - 05:56 AM

Well, after all... It is The Blue Max. ;)

• Peter Apruzzese and ahollis like this

#44 of 83 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 13 2014 - 10:39 AM

Well, after all... It is The Blue Max. ;)

And it is on BLU-ray.

• ahollis likes this

#45 of 83 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 890 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted February 13 2014 - 11:00 AM

And George Peppard's eyes are very BLUE!

• ahollis likes this

#46 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 12:06 PM

And I'm feeling mighty BLUE because my copy hasn't even shipped yet. :(

• ahollis likes this

#47 of 83 OFFLINE   Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 03:01 PM

You are not alone, Reed,

#48 of 83 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 890 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted February 13 2014 - 03:21 PM

I'll also feel very BLUE (in a certain part of my body), if TT (no pun intended) did not use the international cut showing Ms. Andress's breasts.

#49 of 83 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 03:41 PM

POPULAR

I'll also feel very BLUE (in a certain part of my body), if TT (no pun intended) did not use the international cut showing Ms. Andress's breasts.

You have no need to fear.

• ahollis, lukejosephchung and bujaki like this

#50 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 01:00 PM

What I'll be watching tonight... Finally :)

20140219_150328.jpg

#51 of 83 ONLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted February 19 2014 - 01:01 PM

Got my shipping notice from Screen Archives Monday...should be getting this and the rest of my order in 3-5 business days!!!

#52 of 83 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 03:38 PM

^ If you're lucky, Luke. I had a shipping notice for Blue Max and The Front last Tuesday; as of today, still waiting. Of course Monday was a holiday, so I'm not worried (yet).

I ordered Thunderbolt last Friday; still no shipping notice, but - again - Monday was a holiday.

#53 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:43 PM

POPULAR

The BLUE MAX transfer is sumptuous. The isolated score is sublime.

I said it before, and I'll say it again... They just don't make 'em like this anymore!

• davidHartzog, David_B_K and ahollis like this

#54 of 83 OFFLINE   billlit

billlit

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 02:48 PM

This film is not brown and flat - but those who will compare the inevitable screen caps will say, well this one has a teal or blue push and they'll either just assume the completely wrong previous incarnations were correct or they'll certainly raise the specter of something being off in this new transfer.  Nothing's off.  The blues are glorious and perfect for a film of that era.  PERFECT.  And so are the lush greens and the true reds and the gray grays and every gradation of all those colors.  PERFECT...for those who mistakenly found Desk Set too blue (it, too, was perfect), I'm sure the same will apply here and it will be just as mistaken.

Well...that's a very interesting take on the way this Blue Max transfer looks...to you.  And of course how wrong those of us who would disagree with you are, but the fact remains that there's quite a color "push" on this transfer (more in the nature of dark cyan rather than teal) that overwhelms the grays and browns of the photography.  (Take a look at the HD transfer on VUDU for the way the picture should look.) You might take another less emotional look at the transfer.  Even at 68, these old eyes still have perfect color vision.

#55 of 83 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 04:23 PM

Billit

not that anyone put me out of my misery by explaining it , but I've since learnt that many films from this vintage have a certain colour look : the blues look this way because they were this way. They are accurate to the source and that's what Fox have done which is a good thing. Inn of the sixth Happiness for example, . I'll now step aside as Bruce sharpens his knives  ;)  :)

#56 of 83 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 21 2014 - 06:59 PM

POPULAR

Billit

not that anyone put me out of my misery by explaining it , but I've since learnt that many films from this vintage have a certain colour look : the blues look this way because they were this way. They are accurate to the source and that's what Fox have done which is a good thing. Inn of the sixth Happiness for example, . I'll now step aside as Bruce sharpens his knives  ;)  :)

I was sharpening them but will not use them, because the post above is so wrongheaded.  I'll simply say that The Blue Max has absolutely perfect color for a film of that era.  The transfer has no push, it's simply correct for the first time.  Nothing overwhelms anything - there are grays, browns and every other color.  But I leave "billit" to his faded Eastmancolor and the rest of us can shout hosannah to Fox for doing it right.  Thank the Lord there's someone there who understands what the color on these films actually looked like.    And exactly what kind of "emotional" look did I take at the transfer in the first place?  I put it on, saw a beautiful transfer, immediately compared it to the faded, brown mess that was the German Blu-ray, and made my post.  And least Mr. Billit didn't feel it necessary in THIS thread to make a rather unnecessary and extremely snarky remark directed at Julie Kirgo.  Please.

• Peter Apruzzese, David Weicker, lark144 and 2 others like this

#57 of 83 OFFLINE   billlit

billlit

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 01:17 AM

Oh, come on, Bruce...knives is it matey?  And how much teal d'ye see in nature each and every day outside of bathroom rugs and ducks, eh?  Never mind the "Mr. Billit", that would've been my dad's sig.  I'm Bill Littman and I've no memory of teal, cyan and such viewing BLUE MAX way back when at my Baltimore downtown theater.  But if you're happy with teal-smothered gray German uniforms, more power to you. (Although I'd love to hear D.P. Douglas Slocombe's take on teal.  He's still around at 100.  You might ask him).  I haven't seen the German blu-ray, only the HD VUDU print.  And I A-B'd the Twilight with the VUDU and...well.  Like the Missourians say...

And when you mention "color for a film of that era" (sic), are you talking about Deluxe labs or Eastman stock from the mid-Sixties?

As for Julie, I've read most everything she's written and was hoping for some substance by now...no such luck.  I would like to read some good musical info and scene-specific cue comments from her, but for now, hold on to those old liner notes.  Sorry about the level of snarkness, but in no way does it match the level of teal.

#58 of 83 OFFLINE   RichMurphy

RichMurphy

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 04:46 AM

Given how many variables can be introduced between the original camera negative and the image from a projected release print (or for that matter, a video display), I am always amused by these heated discussions as to what the absolute correct colors in a given situation should be.

One indisputable but minor error of fact: Mr. Slocombe is now 101, as of this month. (and wouldn't the Blu-Ray release of THE MUSIC LOVERS, his crowning achievement in my opinion, be a lovely birthday present to us all).

• FoxyMulder and ROclockCK like this

#59 of 83 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 22 2014 - 08:48 AM

Oh, come on, Bruce...knives is it matey?  And how much teal d'ye see in nature each and every day outside of bathroom rugs and ducks, eh?  Never mind the "Mr. Billit", that would've been my dad's sig.  I'm Bill Littman and I've no memory of teal, cyan and such viewing BLUE MAX way back when at my Baltimore downtown theater.  But if you're happy with teal-smothered gray German uniforms, more power to you. (Although I'd love to hear D.P. Douglas Slocombe's take on teal.  He's still around at 100.  You might ask him).  I haven't seen the German blu-ray, only the HD VUDU print.  And I A-B'd the Twilight with the VUDU and...well.  Like the Missourians say...

And when you mention "color for a film of that era" (sic), are you talking about Deluxe labs or Eastman stock from the mid-Sixties?

As for Julie, I've read most everything she's written and was hoping for some substance by now...no such luck.  I would like to read some good musical info and scene-specific cue comments from her, but for now, hold on to those old liner notes.  Sorry about the level of snarkness, but in no way does it match the level of teal.

Again, I leave you to the faded Eastman internegatives and I and others will enjoy this perfect transfer.  I'm curious how "color for a film of that era" gets a "sic" but the question "are you talking about Deluxe labs or Eastman stock from the mid-Sixties" doesn't.   Deluxe was a lab, Eastman was a stock - Deluxe processed Eastman stock, just like other labs (not talking about Technicolor, which also processed Eastman stock and printed in dye transfer).  Other than that, we can obviously agree to disagree.

#60 of 83 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted February 22 2014 - 09:38 AM

You heard about it at the beginning of this thread, weeks ago :)  I'm waiting for the first person to say there's a "teal push."  I'm ready, baby! 

I am not going to use the word "teal".

I did watch The Blue Max from TT last night and found it just slightly blue in comparison to my memory.  I do recognize that the film did look blue in its original release, but it is a matter of degree.  Easily adjusted on my projector if I want; the problem is small.

My experience with the film is a week of projecting it at a drive-in in summer of 1967, just before I left being a union projectionist to go to grad school.   I remember it very well and have always considered it under-rated.

Just my opinion.

• davidHartzog likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users