Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

A Sneak Peek at The Blue Max

Fox Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 of 83 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 10 2014 - 10:13 PM

POPULAR

In a word - magnificent.  The absolute best this film has ever looked, period.  With color so accurate it made my little heart go pit-a-pat.  I have no doubt that we'll have the usual "blue or teal push" nonsense and you can take it from li'l ol' me not to believe a word of it.  The previous home video incarnations of this film were brown and awful, and that includes the German Blu-ray.  This film is not brown and flat - but those who will compare the inevitable screen caps will say, well this one has a teal or blue push and they'll either just assume the completely wrong previous incarnations were correct or they'll certainly raise the specter of something being off in this new transfer.  Nothing's off.  The blues are glorious and perfect for a film of that era.  PERFECT.  And so are the lush greens and the true reds and the gray grays and every gradation of all those colors.  PERFECT.  Skin tones that are no longer flat brown but real.  Mr. Peppard, who had blue eyes second only to Mr. Newman had gray eyes in previous transfers.  Here they are as they should be - gorgeous BLUE eyes.  It's breathtaking, the aerial photography looks amazing, and the score in 5.1 sound sounds fantastic - Jerry Goldsmith at his best.  I still find the film slightly weird in its storytelling, but when something looks this good everything seems to work better.  But for those who mistakenly found Desk Set too blue (it, too, was perfect), I'm sure the same will apply here and it will be just as mistaken.

Simply put, Fox has done an incredible job on this transfer and they need to hear that loud and clear with none of the usual teal/blue stuff getting in the way.  After all, the film is called The BLUE Max.  My eyes were so happy this evening I can't even tell you, although I just did :)

• Reed Grele, Neil S. Bulk, John Hodson and 6 others like this

#2 of 83 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted January 10 2014 - 10:58 PM

That's good news.  I have the German BD and was disappointed in it.  I don't really like buying it again, but probably will now.

#3 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted January 10 2014 - 11:14 PM

That's fantastic! Can't wait for this one! :)

#4 of 83 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 890 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted January 10 2014 - 11:34 PM

Did the German BD include the bedroom scene with George Peppard and Ms. Andress showing her breasts? Not covered by a towel as shown in the USA.

The bare breasts are not really needed to advance the plot, but they provided eye candy to a 16 year old boy when I saw it for the first time in Puerto Rico (we got international cuts there).

• Adam Gregorich likes this

#5 of 83 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 02:48 AM

I have the German BD version but I will be getting the TT version, a great film with a fantastic score.

#6 of 83 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 11 2014 - 08:54 AM

The German Blu will now double in use as a coaster.

#7 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 09:45 AM

Any idea of the approximate date that this will be up for pre-order?

I would imagine that it will sell out quickly.

#8 of 83 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 09:54 AM

JAN 22.

#9 of 83 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,248 posts

Posted January 11 2014 - 12:46 PM

In a word - magnificent.  The absolute best this film has ever looked, period.  With color so accurate it made my little heart go pit-a-pat.  I have no doubt that we'll have the usual "blue or teal push" nonsense and you can take it from li'l ol' me not to believe a word of it.  The previous home video incarnations of this film were brown and awful, and that includes the German Blu-ray.  This film is not brown and flat - but those who will compare the inevitable screen caps will say, well this one has a teal or blue push and they'll either just assume the completely wrong previous incarnations were correct or they'll certainly raise the specter of something being off in this new transfer.  Nothing's off.  The blues are glorious and perfect for a film of that era.  PERFECT.  And so are the lush greens and the true reds and the gray grays and every gradation of all those colors.  PERFECT.  Skin tones that are no longer flat brown but real.  Mr. Peppard, who had blue eyes second only to Mr. Newman had gray eyes in previous transfers.  Here they are as they should be - gorgeous BLUE eyes.  It's breathtaking, the aerial photography looks amazing, and the score in 5.1 sound sounds fantastic - Jerry Goldsmith at his best.  I still find the film slightly weird in its storytelling, but when something looks this good everything seems to work better.  But for those who mistakenly found Desk Set too blue (it, too, was perfect), I'm sure the same will apply here and it will be just as mistaken.

Simply put, Fox has done an incredible job on this transfer and they need to hear that loud and clear with none of the usual teal/blue stuff getting in the way.  After all, the film is called The BLUE Max.  My eyes were so happy this evening I can't even tell you, although I just did :)

Now I want this. I sure wish Fox could come up with decent material for VON RYAN'S EXPRESS that would even approach the quality of this one.

• SAhmed and Jack K like this

#10 of 83 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted January 11 2014 - 02:20 PM

Na, that's the trouble these days, it won't sell out quickly. I think it'll be around for a while.

#11 of 83 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted January 12 2014 - 11:43 PM

After 35 years of home video, it doesn't get much better than hearing that The Blue Max will finally look as good as I already knew it would sound*. This is definitely my 'A' title next month...just great news rolling in on every front. :thumbs-up-smiley:

* especially with 2 - count 'em - TWO isolated tracks: Goldsmith's complete score plus the alternate unused music. It might take me weeks to get around to the equally intriguing Redman/Kirgo/Burlingame commentary.

• Adam Gregorich likes this

#12 of 83 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:21 AM

POPULAR

Slightly surprised there is not more enthusiasm for this release.

Of all the TT releases available later today, this is he one I am most excited for, because everything has fallen into place. A new transfer, great audio treatment, an isolated score from one of the great film composers, a new audio commentary, and a topless Ursula Andress.

If only every TT release was like this one.

As for the transfer being blue, I doubt I'll notice when I'm wearing these babies:

rose%2Bcolored%2Bglasses.jpg

• Stephen_J_H, Ken Koc and ROclockCK like this

#13 of 83 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,903 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 05:41 AM

JAN 22.

As of two minutes ago, not yet available from Screen Archives

#14 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 09:56 AM

The last time I waited for a TT title to become available for pre-order, it wasn't put up until 3 or 4 pm eastern time.

#15 of 83 ONLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:46 AM

I will be picking up Blue Max as well...and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot...but if you look at their homepage it says new titles go on sale at 4pm Eastern time. 

#16 of 83 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:52 AM

As of two minutes ago, not yet available from Screen Archives

The February titles start selling at 4 PM today. Usually not a second before.
  • JoHud likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#17 of 83 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:56 AM

...an isolated score from one of the great film composers...

The isolated score on this is a real treat since so much of the music wasn't used in the final film. Now you'll be able to understand what Jerry Goldsmith had in mind for this movie.

Neil

#18 of 83 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,067 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:07 PM

Just pre-ordered The BLUE MAX. :)

#19 of 83 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 22 2014 - 01:11 PM

Got mine along with a couple of other titles coming out at the same day. Nice.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#20 of 83 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted January 22 2014 - 03:42 PM

Pre-ordered this along with the other titles that came online at Screen Archives today at 4pm EST...looking forward to seeing this movie properly done with a new HD transfer!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users