What's new

A Sneak Peek at The Blue Max (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
In a word - magnificent. The absolute best this film has ever looked, period. With color so accurate it made my little heart go pit-a-pat. I have no doubt that we'll have the usual "blue or teal push" nonsense and you can take it from li'l ol' me not to believe a word of it. The previous home video incarnations of this film were brown and awful, and that includes the German Blu-ray. This film is not brown and flat - but those who will compare the inevitable screen caps will say, well this one has a teal or blue push and they'll either just assume the completely wrong previous incarnations were correct or they'll certainly raise the specter of something being off in this new transfer. Nothing's off. The blues are glorious and perfect for a film of that era. PERFECT. And so are the lush greens and the true reds and the gray grays and every gradation of all those colors. PERFECT. Skin tones that are no longer flat brown but real. Mr. Peppard, who had blue eyes second only to Mr. Newman had gray eyes in previous transfers. Here they are as they should be - gorgeous BLUE eyes. It's breathtaking, the aerial photography looks amazing, and the score in 5.1 sound sounds fantastic - Jerry Goldsmith at his best. I still find the film slightly weird in its storytelling, but when something looks this good everything seems to work better. But for those who mistakenly found Desk Set too blue (it, too, was perfect), I'm sure the same will apply here and it will be just as mistaken.

Simply put, Fox has done an incredible job on this transfer and they need to hear that loud and clear with none of the usual teal/blue stuff getting in the way. After all, the film is called The BLUE Max. My eyes were so happy this evening I can't even tell you, although I just did :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Did the German BD include the bedroom scene with George Peppard and Ms. Andress showing her breasts? Not covered by a towel as shown in the USA.
The bare breasts are not really needed to advance the plot, but they provided eye candy to a 16 year old boy when I saw it for the first time in Puerto Rico (we got international cuts there).

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have the German BD version but I will be getting the TT version, a great film with a fantastic score.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Any idea of the approximate date that this will be up for pre-order?

I would imagine that it will sell out quickly.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Reed Grele said:

JAN 22.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
In a word - magnificent. The absolute best this film has ever looked, period. With color so accurate it made my little heart go pit-a-pat. I have no doubt that we'll have the usual "blue or teal push" nonsense and you can take it from li'l ol' me not to believe a word of it. The previous home video incarnations of this film were brown and awful, and that includes the German Blu-ray. This film is not brown and flat - but those who will compare the inevitable screen caps will say, well this one has a teal or blue push and they'll either just assume the completely wrong previous incarnations were correct or they'll certainly raise the specter of something being off in this new transfer. Nothing's off. The blues are glorious and perfect for a film of that era. PERFECT. And so are the lush greens and the true reds and the gray grays and every gradation of all those colors. PERFECT. Skin tones that are no longer flat brown but real. Mr. Peppard, who had blue eyes second only to Mr. Newman had gray eyes in previous transfers. Here they are as they should be - gorgeous BLUE eyes. It's breathtaking, the aerial photography looks amazing, and the score in 5.1 sound sounds fantastic - Jerry Goldsmith at his best. I still find the film slightly weird in its storytelling, but when something looks this good everything seems to work better. But for those who mistakenly found Desk Set too blue (it, too, was perfect), I'm sure the same will apply here and it will be just as mistaken.

Simply put, Fox has done an incredible job on this transfer and they need to hear that loud and clear with none of the usual teal/blue stuff getting in the way. After all, the film is called The BLUE Max. My eyes were so happy this evening I can't even tell you, although I just did :)
Now I want this. I sure wish Fox could come up with decent material for VON RYAN'S EXPRESS that would even approach the quality of this one.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Reed Grele said:

Na, that's the trouble these days, it won't sell out quickly. I think it'll be around for a while.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
After 35 years of home video, it doesn't get much better than hearing that The Blue Max will finally look as good as I already knew it would sound*. This is definitely my 'A' title next month...just great news rolling in on every front. :thumbs-up-smiley:

* especially with 2 - count 'em - TWO isolated tracks: Goldsmith's complete score plus the alternate unused music. It might take me weeks to get around to the equally intriguing Redman/Kirgo/Burlingame commentary.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Slightly surprised there is not more enthusiasm for this release.

Of all the TT releases available later today, this is he one I am most excited for, because everything has fallen into place. A new transfer, great audio treatment, an isolated score from one of the great film composers, a new audio commentary, and a topless Ursula Andress.

If only every TT release was like this one.

As for the transfer being blue, I doubt I'll notice when I'm wearing these babies:

rose%2Bcolored%2Bglasses.jpg

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
The last time I waited for a TT title to become available for pre-order, it wasn't put up until 3 or 4 pm eastern time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will be picking up Blue Max as well...and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot...but if you look at their homepage it says new titles go on sale at 4pm Eastern time.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
McCrutchy said:
...an isolated score from one of the great film composers...
The isolated score on this is a real treat since so much of the music wasn't used in the final film. Now you'll be able to understand what Jerry Goldsmith had in mind for this movie.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks