Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What is the best hardcover version of the Lord of the Rings?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 05:23 AM

I've finally got around to replacing my well-worn paperback editions of the Lord of the Rings. I want to get them in hardback. How many people have it in hardcover and what would you recommend. I've looked on Amazon but would really like to get the ones that are only available in Britain found here:

http://www.tolkien.co.uk

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

They come in a boxset on the site but they won't ship to Canada. I know Rob Gillespie has these.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Seb

------------------
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
Seldom have walked the feet of Men,
Few mortal eyes have seen the light
That lies there ever, long and bright.
Galadriel! Galadriel!
Clear is the water of your well;
White is the star in your white hand;
Unmarred, unstained is leaf and land
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
More fair than thoughts of Mortal Men.

In Dwimordene, in Lorien
Galadriel! Galadriel!Clear is the water of your well;White is the star in your white hand;Unmarred, unstained is leaf and landIn Dwimordene, in LorienMore...

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Peter Yee

Peter Yee

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 05:47 AM

Hard to tell -- is the set available only through www.tolkein.co.uk? (Which, by the way, is offline for some reason). If it is available through other means in the UK, you might then check with www.amazon.co.uk. I used them to get the seven volume Lord of the Rings Millenium Edition with CD recording. This set was not available in the US, but Amazon UK was happy to send it to me.

-Peter

------------------

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the UK Amazon site but it has the exact same stuff that the American site has on it.

Is there a large Canadian e-tailer for books? The size of the order I've got planned from Amazon is going to kill me as far the exchange is concerned. And although the last time I ordered from Amazon they didn't charge me import fees, DVDInternational did. Posted Image

Thanks,

Seb

------------------
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
Galadriel! Galadriel!
Clear is the water of your well;
White is the star in your white hand;
Unmarred, unstained is leaf and land
In Dwimordene, in Lorien
More fair than thoughts of Mortal Men.

In Dwimordene, in Lorien
Galadriel! Galadriel!Clear is the water of your well;White is the star in your white hand;Unmarred, unstained is leaf and landIn Dwimordene, in LorienMore...

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John Miles

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 08:18 AM

The undisputed "high end" LOTR editions appear to be those issued by Easton Press (1-800-367-4534, no web site that I can find). I'm not sure they're still in print, but when I bought mine, the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy were $225. The complete set is selling for well north of $300 on eBay right now, so my guess is they're no longer directly available from Easton.

Believe me, these prices seem outrageous only until you're holding the volumes in your hands. These are probably the finest books I've ever seen. The smell alone is worth half the price. Posted Image

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 08:58 AM

Seb, the three I have are hardback with those front covers, but they weren't in a boxed set. Each book cost around £12 if I remember correctly and were bought from Amazon UK.

[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on September 03, 2001 at 04:00 PM]
No longer here.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Kim Donald

Kim Donald

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 08:14 PM

Waterstone has The version you are looking for.
Waterstone's online

and Waterstones ships to Canada/USA
kd

[Edited last by Kim Donald on September 04, 2001 at 03:19 AM]

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott A.

Scott A.

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 03:19 PM

Quote:
Is there a large Canadian e-tailer for books?

Try:
http://chapters.indigo.ca/

The best place I've found on the net to order books is:
http://www.abebooks.com

It's a network of used book sellers. I've always been able to find what I was looking for, usually from a Canadian location, and always for a great price. The condition of the book is indicated with the price. Great place to find first editions, signed editions, Hardcover editions, and rare or out of print books.

Currently they have a set of signed LOTR first editions listed for 18500 Pounds, ($27000 U.S.), but you could find a nice set of used hardcovers there, in great condition, for much less than that. Posted Image

S.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 04:04 PM

Is the Millenium edition of LOTR by Houghton-Mifflin good? All i know is that it is separated into 6 volumes. Would appreciate opinions from those who've got this version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users