What's new

TCM/Sony: The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray/DVD combo) (1 Viewer)

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
This is great news - Hopefully this will be based on the terrific restoration that premiered at the London Film Festival last year. Great to see that Eddie Muller has recorded a commentary but I hope this doesn't mean we are losing the Peter Bogdanovich extras created for the previous DVD release.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
went to the site, for those that complain about TT, well here you go, the price is about the same, the great thing is the release date, is 1/27/2014, so by the end of the month. I am ok with everything listed, as features, the only complaint is man it has some awful coverart.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I just pre-ordered mine with code "TCMGIFT14" in which I just paid $27.10 with FREE 3-7 days shipping. This will be my 12th Vault purchase from them and I hope it continues.

the-lady-from-shanghai-dvd_360.jpg

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
dana martin said:
went to the site, for those that complain about TT, well here you go, the price is about the same, the great thing is the release date, is 1/27/2014, so by the end of the month. I am ok with everything listed, as features, the only complaint is man it has some awful coverart.
The price is not "about the same." There's a $5-10 difference. I feel more comfortable purchasing this from TCM than some of these other things from TT.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Being from TCM, this should be available through Movies Unlimited, which means better shipping pricing and service than TT. So I'm happy!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Since a new restoration of the film is playing at the Film Forum in NYC beginning January 31, I figured a Blu-ray release was forthcoming, but I did not think it would be this soon. Great news indeed!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
RLane777 said:
I just pre-ordered mine with code "TCMGIFT14" in which I just paid $27.10 with FREE 3-7 days shipping. This will be my 12th Vault purchase from them and I hope it continues.

might have to cancel and reorder, thought you needed to spend over $59.00 to use that code

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Good luck canceling from TCM Shop -- you can't cancel from the website and the CSR I talked to said she couldn't do it either. The $5 I'd save isn't worth the headache.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Orders can be cancelled over the phone. I was forced to go through all the trouble of doing so last year when a website glitch duplicated my order into two separate orders.

I also didn't use the code, but I agree that the discount isn't worth the fuss.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From blu ray dot com

"In partnership with The Film Foundation, Turner Classic Movies and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment proudly present this DVD/Blu-ray combo pack of The Lady from Shanghai (1947)—the first-ever Blu-ray release of the film, featuring a brand-new 4k digital restoration from the original negative."

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Ordered it, but the shipping cost to the UK is the same as the price of the BD itself! Making it more expensive than a Twilight Time release, crazy!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to why some Sony films with limited release in the US show up in Europe in wide release at a cheaper price such as The Way We Were and Oliver! and others are only are available in limited edition from the US such as Picnic and Cover Girl.
The Lady From Shanghai seems to be only available in the US but not as a limited edition.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Dale MA said:
Ordered it, but the shipping cost to the UK is the same as the price of the BD itself! Making it more expensive than a Twilight Time release, crazy!
Try ordering from Movies Unlimited next time. They carry all of the TCM Exclusive stock and generally have better international shipping fees.

The MU link is here:
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=B61925

Edit: Checked and MU has a flat shipping rate of $11 for all foreign shipping (except Canada which is $9) which seems the cheaper alternative.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
RLane777 said:

Thanks for the tip, worked like a charm. Blind buy for me, but my wife and I are both noir fans and this seemed right in the wheelhouse for us.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
JoHud said:
Try ordering from Movies Unlimited next time. They carry all of the TCM Exclusive stock and generally have better international shipping fees.

The MU link is here:
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=B61925

Edit: Checked and MU has a flat shipping rate of $11 for all foreign shipping (except Canada which is $9) which seems the cheaper alternative.
Unfortunately the retail and list price at Movies Unlimited is $10 higher then at TCM, so for this title there would not be much savings ordering from Movies Unlimited.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
These are the sort of releases I love to support! With a bit of luck, perhaps TCM will start doing this regularly and often. Can you imagine it if they were to strike a deal with WB? I run into so many young people at the TCM festivals in L.A. who love classic movies as much as I do and they hope and pray for BD releases of their favorites, as well. Since the studios seem pretty uninvolved with this market, it's refreshing to see TCM jumping in. Can't wait to get my LADY FROM SHANGHAI!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks