Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCM/Sony: The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray/DVD combo)

Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#81 of 207 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 12:22 PM

I watched it this weekend, and enjoyed it more than any other time I've seen it.  I echo Bruce's superlative review.  The stunning restoration allows us to sink into the film without distraction.

One line always stands out to me, not because of what's said, but because of the language.

When Elsa is looking for Michael in Chinatown, she's appropriately speaking Chinese (don't know if it's Mandarin or Cantonese) with people on the street.  However, the woman in the ticket booth says "Konbonwa" to her, which is "Good Evening" in Japanese.  The rest of their exchange is Chinese.

#82 of 207 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 06:50 AM

Here's a link to the Italian release, due out March 25. The cover is gorgeous!

Italian blu-ray.jpg

Around $20.00 plus shipping. I'm holding off for now. If the Italian job (heh heh) isn't a better version, I can always snag the TCM release then.

• SAhmed likes this

#83 of 207 OFFLINE   Bill:N

Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 12:47 PM

Finally received this today from Movies Unlimited after having it on pre-order for months. The packaging has now been changed to Blu-ray, Also, there is about a 20 minute feature by Eddie Muller, don't know if that was there before or not.

p.s.

Just noticed also that the audio is now Dolby TrueHD instead of Dolby digital.

Also the bit rate now averages close to 30 Mbps, it is dual-layered and AVC encoded.

Edited by Bill:N, May 28 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#84 of 207 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 05:59 PM

Really! Sounds like they chose to fix it but not report nor offer a replacement program. Tsk tsk.

#85 of 207 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 06:18 PM

Finally received this today from Movies Unlimited after having it on pre-order for months. The packaging has now been changed to Blu-ray, Also, there is about a 20 minute feature by Eddie Muller, don't know if that was there before or not.

p.s.

Just noticed also that the audio is now Dolby TrueHD instead of Dolby digital.

Also the bit rate now averages close to 30 Mbps, it is dual-layered and AVC encoded.

Really?  I might call them up this week to see if I can finagle a replacement disc out of them.

Either way, it's a good sign that TCM listens to criticism and is earnest to deliver quality product in learning from its mistakes.

• Mark Cappelletty likes this

#86 of 207 OFFLINE   Jay*W

Jay*W

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 06:57 PM

Really?  I might call them up this week to see if I can finagle a replacement disc out of them.

Either way, it's a good sign that TCM listens to criticism and is earnest to deliver quality product in learning from its mistakes.

Joe,

Please let us know what you find out!

Thanks,

Jay

#87 of 207 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 08:04 PM

Share a picture of how it looks now, not so much screen shots but the packaging.. Im interested in knowing if this is a reissue or whatnot.. I dont know if Movie Unlimited customer service would know anything past their description and stock photo which is vague 

#88 of 207 OFFLINE   Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 06:28 AM

Share a picture of how it looks now, not so much screen shots but the packaging.. Im interested in knowing if this is a reissue or whatnot.. I dont know if Movie Unlimited customer service would know anything past their description and stock photo which is vague 

Back cover attached.

Attached Images

• shanghai2.jpg

#89 of 207 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 07:25 AM

What color is the blu ray case , is it blue / standard size ? Mine does not have the Muller interview on the back... 

#90 of 207 OFFLINE   Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 08:13 AM

What color is the blu ray case , is it blue / standard size ? Mine does not have the Muller interview on the back... 

It's clear, standard Blu-ray size, with a slip cover.

#91 of 207 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 09:28 AM

called TCM shop ,they know nothing about repackaging ,and newer cases 

#92 of 207 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 29 2014 - 01:45 PM

Someone called Movies Unlimited and this was their response:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the above-referenced title. The film, “THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI”(1948)starring Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles & Everett Stone is available (#B6-1925)($34.99) as a “Blu-ray/DVD combo, in a “DVD” size case. Of course, it is a two disc set. One disc, Blu-ray. One disc, DVD.

I'm frankly beginning to question this thing of a new disc in a Blu-ray case - for many reasons.  I may just order from MU and see what I get.  Because surely they did not send out ONE copy that was fixed.

#93 of 207 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 29 2014 - 01:46 PM

called TCM shop ,they know nothing about repackaging ,and newer cases 

Yes, there's something that smells bad here.

#94 of 207 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 29 2014 - 01:47 PM

If ever there was a moment on the internet where the adage "Pics or it didn't happen" applied to a home video release, this would be it.

• JoHud likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#95 of 207 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted May 29 2014 - 02:11 PM

Yes, some actual photos (not scans!) of the Blu-ray case, and even better, a picture of the menu showing a lossless sound option, would be really appreciated!

#96 of 207 OFFLINE   Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yes, some actual photos (not scans!) of the Blu-ray case, and even better, a picture of the menu showing a lossless sound option, would be really appreciated!

What a bunch of doubting Thomases when all I'm trying to do is to provide updated information on this release. I have better things to do than creating a phony cover scan for what reason I can only imagine.

The files on the Blu-ray are all dated April 4th, well after the initial release date. If someone were to politely ask me for photos, I would be glad to oblige, otherwise believe what you want.

#97 of 207 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 03:46 PM

Hi Bill, you have to expect some skepticism because there hasnt been any peep or information from TCM or MU about what you received - I personally would very much like to believe you but it does help when you show pictures. I appreciate what you told me and posted - Im sure a lot of us would like to order it, but we are all worried that maybe you were the lucky one and we will get the same thing that we ordered from TCM.  It would be spending 60.00 on the same thing essentially. i wish another person would pop up and say yes I also got it with photos and such 

So yes, Bill if you can provide more photos I would appreciate it thanks :)

#98 of 207 OFFLINE   Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi Bill, you have to expect some skepticism because there hasnt been any peep or information from TCM or MU about what you received - I personally would very much like to believe you but it does help when you show pictures. I appreciate what you told me and posted - Im sure a lot of us would like to order it, but we are all worried that maybe you were the lucky one and we will get the same thing that we ordered from TCM.  It would be spending 60.00 on the same thing essentially. i wish another person would pop up and say yes I also got it with photos and such 

So yes, Bill if you can provide more photos I would appreciate it thanks :)

No problem. I was just as surprised when I received this expecting the old version. I don't have the facility to do screen captures but I'll take some photos when I have time tomorrow morning and post them.

#99 of 207 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted May 29 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'm sorry if my intended tone didn't come across Bill, but my request was meant politely and sincerely. I don't doubt you, but we don't have a lot to go on when both TCM and Movies Unlimited are directly contradicting you. Again, a photo of the menu showing the lossless audio option would settle this completely, and we'd then be able to protest TCM with full confidence.

#100 of 207 OFFLINE   Jay*W

Jay*W

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted May 29 2014 - 06:36 PM

I would definitely appreciate a photo because I want to get the right version from TCM to replace the original. Maybe you could also take a photo of the menu screen on your TV (rather than a screen capture)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users