Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#161 of 163 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,652 posts

Posted April 23 2015 - 06:07 PM

LOL - i dont have a problem with cars developing systems that help the driver

i just dont want the car to be the actual driver to make the final decision

#162 of 163 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,150 posts

Posted April 23 2015 - 07:20 PM

i do not want self-driving cars on the road

That's okay I don't want human driven cars on the road.

Luckily the insurance companies will want the same thing and thirty years from now it will be so expensive to insure a human driver that there will be very few humans driving and killing people.

#163 of 163 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,652 posts

Posted April 23 2015 - 07:58 PM

i think you are tremendously over-estimating the ability of a car driven by a computer

i also dont see your logic about a person being more expensive to insure

why, for example, would i be more expensive to insure than i currently am, if the other cars are driverless, or have drivers ?

i am still the same person with the same driving abilities.

in fact, if all the rest of the drivers are so good (like you think they will be), my record will even be better, and my rates less than what they would otherwise be

i would say that most accidents occur because of carelessness or lack of seeing something

which is why i am thrilled with the idea of a computer in the car telling the driver about a possible problem up ahead

watch out for such and such.  do you see such and such ?  but for the car itself to simply autonomously move - no thanks !!

i use cruise control on my car, but i can always apply the brake and remove it.

people, here in the united states at least, have a problem accepting responsibility for their actions.  and this is just another example of it.

so if all of the cars are driverless, what happens when there is an accident ?   whose insurance goes up ?  the guy in the car that caused it ?  why ?  he didnt personally do anything wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users