What's new

Netflix Picture Quality (1 Viewer)

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I've been having an issue in the past few days with Netflix. I've been watching the recent season of DEXTER in "SuperHD" but the picture quality has been all over the map.

Unlike Amazon and VUDU which stream in full HD when you launch a title, Netflix takes some time to "warm up." At least with my Roku 2, Netflix starts out in low-res and after about 20-30 seconds switches over to HD.

Well, these last few nights I've found that the image rarely looks like it gets to full 1080p. Picture quality may hold for a minute or two and then it sinks back to fuzzy, blurry low-res.

I go to Amazon, no problem. I go to VUDU, no problem. My Roku box is hard wired and I have a fast connection. I do a speedtest over wireless and I'm getting over 20mbps. I've re-booted the Roku, no difference. I've re-booted the internet box, no difference.

Anyone else having PQ issues with Netflix?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Same for me. I have been watching House of Cards on Netflix. Before it would start looking like 240p (yes worse than 480p) and then change to what looks like HD. I say "what looks like HD" because the TV says the signal is 1080p always for Netflix no matter how bad the picture looks.

Last night I watched another episode of House of Cards and most of the time it looked like 240p. I base this on the SD source we get on TCM HD and House of Cards looks like half that resolution.

My speed is 50mps on the PC.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What quality setting do you guys have checked off on Netflix' website? I use Auto. Netflix automatically adjusts the image quality based on your internet speed at the time.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jim Mcc said:
What quality setting do you guys have checked off on Netflix' website? I use Auto. Netflix automatically adjusts the image quality based on your internet speed at the time.
And even on a nice "average" 3.5 connection, my PS3 streamlines the stream up to a respectable HD 720 at off-peak hours.
You're trying for SuperHD, which takes at least twice that much speed on the best equipment.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I can rarely get Netflix to stream it's highest resolution during daytime hours. If I try it in the middle of the night, say 3am, I have no problems. It has nothing to do with your internet speed, but rather the amount of traffic on the Netflix servers. Trying to get full HD stream during prime time is futile.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I watched a horror flick last night and the picture looked fine. I started to watch House of Cards and it looked terrible. Must be the content and not the signal?

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
Up until this past week, I had been receiving a great 1080 picture from Netflix, streaming thorugh my Oppo 103. For the last several days, I have hardly been able to see anything even close to that. This afternoon, I am watching Continuum, supposedly available to stream in Super HD, and it is coming in at a top rate of about 384 SD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think demand for content must come into play, with lower demand titles coming through just fine, and higher demand programming struggling to make it past 480. My son has been watching Suits with no difficulty, while the picture frequently bounced between resolutions on Supernatural, for example.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Having the same problem as well, however for me, content doesn't seem to be the determining factor. Very thing wavers back and forth from great to terrible. I was thinking it was my connection or has something to do with the net neutrality being shot down.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Jim Mcc--- where on the Netflix site is this quality setting? I couldn't find it. I do agree though that picture quality varies on Netflix. Sometimes it is fairly amazing, close to blu ray quality, other times like looks like a bad vhs tape.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jim*Tod said:
Jim Mcc--- where on the Netflix site is this quality setting? I couldn't find it. I do agree though that picture quality varies on Netflix. Sometimes it is fairly amazing, close to blu ray quality, other times like looks like a bad vhs tape.
On the Netflix website, click on "My Account" then "Playback Settings". I use the "Auto" setting.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Every great now and then it'll give me an issue. I watch mainly classic TV (Quincy, M.E., Emergency!, Adam-12, Rockford Files, etc.) and usually don't have a problem. Every now and then it will look like a bad SD source for a minute or so and then clears right on up.

swoosherst

Auditioning
Real Name
Jess
On my smart tv it runs wifi and is slower so the picture quality is always okay, nothing good. Usually get VERY clear video on desktop though.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
swoosherst said:
On my smart tv it runs wifi and is slower so the picture quality is always okay, nothing good. Usually get VERY clear video on desktop though.
Because the desktop is a teeny weeny screen. I think a lot of people are not streaming in 1080p. Not all devices do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks