Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: A Chorus Line (Blu-ray)

Fox MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 07:00 AM

A Chorus Line
A group of dancers congregate on the stage of a Broadway theater to audition for a new musical. After the initial eliminations, 16 hopefuls remain. As the film unfolds, the backstory of each of the dancers is revealed. Some are funny, some ironic, some heartbreaking. No matter what their background, however, they all have one thing in common - a passion for dance.

Special Features
  Theatrical Trailer

A Chorus Line Blu-ray 
Street Date: January 14, 2014
Prebook Date: December 18, 2014
Screen Format: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1/ English 2.0 Stereo DTS-HD MA/Quebecois DD 5.1
Subtitles: English/Spanish/French
U.S. Rating: N/A
Total Run Time: 120 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

http://www.amazon.com/Chorus-Line-Blu-ray-Douglas/dp/B00GBT6364/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389106791&sr=1-1&keywords=a+chorus+line

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 18 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 07 2014 - 02:14 PM

The DVD had an interview with Marvin Hamlisch.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,337 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 07 2014 - 11:12 PM

What a hideously wrong cover - trying to make it look like it's Bob Fosse, when it's not only not Bob Fosse but even the antithesis of everything brilliant Michael Bennett did in the show.  The Jeffery Hornady choreography is grotesquely bad and the film is surely the worst adaptation of a Broadway musical ever.   I shouldn't think this would sell many copies :)

• Eric Vedowski and WilliamMcK like this

#4 of 18 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 07 2014 - 11:25 PM

The dancing would have been better if you could actually see it. :D

But one thing that bugs me is why they even bothered to include "Hello 12, Hello 13, Hello Love" only to cut it down to a few bars so it leads into "Surprise, Surprise." That couldn't possibly have been the plan all along: to pay for the song and barely use it.

What makes it worse is that Michael Bennett was actually offered the chance to do it his way, but he squandered it.

On the other hand, they didn't throw out all the gay content, which was a big deal in 1985.

And since you mentioned Bob Fosse, All That Jazz managed to cover the same ground in five minutes with just as many quick cuts, but his cuts are better-timed and the dancing is better.

P.S. To this day, I have never been asked about my life story at an audition.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 11:32 PM

The film has its moments -- mostly at the start -- but I remember it gets so 

ridiculously bogged down in the middle and end.  I found it horribly boring.

I would not recommend this film to anyone.

I remember the Broadway show being much better.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 18 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:33 AM

The only parts of this movie that come close to working are "I Hope I Get It," "Dance 10 Looks 3" (Audrey Landers' presence in the film altered the course of Dallas's storylines significantly, and the effects are still being felt) and Paul's speech. Moving the Zack/Cassie storyline to the forefront was only done to shoehorn the film's narrative into a conventional story structure, and I've been cursing the name of Joseph Campbell ever since.

It does work better on stage. I saw the last national tour three years ago and there is no comparison. Yet the one thing I noticed about the production that seemed off was the acting: it didn't feel like they were creating characters, but recreating the original Broadway cast's (who got screwed royally when it came to royalties for their likenesses on the poster and all the merchandise) performances. The dancing was excellent.

Has Richard Attenborough commented on the film at all in hindsight? He is still with us.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:31 AM

I haven't seen this since it came out.   I remember being disappointed, but not horribly - I still l had my memories of seeing the play multiple times (Including an in-the-round, which still puzzles me).

But since the superior All That Jazz was mentioned, last year Ron hinted that it would have a release last year (during the Cabaret discussions).   Any news on that?

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,277 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 07:08 AM

But since the superior All That Jazz was mentioned, last year Ron hinted that it would have a release last year (during the Cabaretdiscussions).   Any news on that?

The transfer was done over a year ago.  I remember talking to Schan Belston at Fox 

about the work he had done in October of 2012.

It's just a matter of when Fox wants to release it.  I'm certain they are looking for

an opportunity to tie it in with something.

Hey...King of Comedy has been long done, was supposed to come out last October,

and we are still waiting for Fox to slot it in for 2014.

Ronald J Epstein

#9 of 18 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 10:19 AM

I vaguely remember someone on this very board saying they have worked with Jeffrey Hornaday in some other film.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 10:41 AM

So what on earth is the tie in for the Blu of CHORUS LINE?   The Razzies?

Ken

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   babsdude

babsdude

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 11:38 AM

Worst.Hair.Weave.Ever. on Alyson Reed's flashback scenes with Michael Douglas, LOL.

The opening scenes are exciting.

The other thing I remember that probably dates it horribly (and it's been a few years since I've seen/heard) is the score.  LOTS of synth music instead of a gorgeously orchestrated Hamlisch score.  It sounds so "80s."

#12 of 18 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:06 PM

Roger Ebert gave this movie a rave review, but even he admitted "purists won't like it." I'm not much of a purist; heck, I gave Annie a good review. But even I have to dig deep to find something to compliment here.

It's too bad they can't get the rights to Every Little Step. Charlotte D'Amboise, who was Cassie in the revival, was married to Terrence Mann, the movie's Larry, and they didn't mention that!

Worst.Hair.Weave.Ever. on Alyson Reed's flashback scenes with Michael Douglas, LOL.

The opening scenes are exciting.

The other thing I remember that probably dates it horribly (and it's been a few years since I've seen/heard) is the score.  LOTS of synth music instead of a gorgeously orchestrated Hamlisch score.  It sounds so "80s."

When did the 80s become the new 70s (i.e. a decade to look back at with embarrassment and shame)?

Was that worse than those curls from "One" and that weird hand gesture in her close-up? (sorry if I triggered anyone's bad memories):

Alyson+Reed+AlysonReed.jpg

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:59 PM

Richard Attenborough made a gutsy decision to keep the film in the theater instead of "opening it up" to give us, say, dramatized flashbacks of the dancers' lives. Unfortunately, he then proceeded to make every wrong decision possible from that point on, culminating with the replacement of "The Music and the Mirror."  "Music" was the most electric moment in the show; all Attenborough would have had to do was film it and stay the hell out of its way. Instead we got the mediocre "Let Me Dance for You."  Ugh!

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,427 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 04:43 PM

Never cared for the show or the score very much, so the movie was about what I expected anyway: a dud.  Sad, sad, sad.   

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,528 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 08 2014 - 04:48 PM

I've seen the movie exactly once and that is all for me. I saw a national tour that went to Broadway and it was amazing. The sound design was great. At the end when the casting decision is made, there was a fade on the stage sound, the dancers jubilant reaction to being chosen, as the final reprise of One started playing. I never will forget that.

#16 of 18 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 07:05 PM

The SACD of the original Broadway cast album is a revelation. Too bad it didn't lead to other multichannel reissues of other shows' cast albums.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,390 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:12 PM

The only parts of this movie that come close to working are "I Hope I Get It," "Dance 10 Looks 3" (Audrey Landers' presence in the film altered the course of Dallas's storylines significantly, and the effects are still being felt) and Paul's speech. Moving the Zack/Cassie storyline to the forefront was only done to shoehorn the film's narrative into a conventional story structure, and I've been cursing the name of Joseph Campbell ever since.

It does work better on stage. I saw the last national tour three years ago and there is no comparison. Yet the one thing I noticed about the production that seemed off was the acting: it didn't feel like they were creating characters, but recreating the original Broadway cast's (who got screwed royally when it came to royalties for their likenesses on the poster and all the merchandise) performances. The dancing was excellent.

Has Richard Attenborough commented on the film at all in hindsight? He is still with us.

Audrey really surprised me; she really owned that scene. Maybe she should have played Cassie. It's a shame there weren't more musicals for her to be in. I saw the show in a 70s national tour; honestly, the girl who played that character was still kinda dumpy; she had a hard time selling the "Looks 10" part of the song. We loved her anyway.

This movie doesn't capture what Marvin or Michael were trying to do. I just recommend seeing a really good stage production if anyone's interested in this work at all. I don't think it should have been filmed as a movie. At best, it should have been videotaped for television or something; it's just not a movie.

#18 of 18 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,280 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 10:03 PM

They'll probably have to go through a maze of rights holders to do a live TV version. If that happened, I'd rather it be on HBO or somewhere where it wouldn't be censored than on network TV.

Actually, some of the roads not traveled but suggested were even worse than the ones they did. But what would have been so wrong with just filming it as it was written the first time?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, MGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users