Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 jeremy223

jeremy223

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 09:36 PM

I watched it on CMT tonight and didn't notice any cropping; I had full frame. The picture does look a lot sharper than in the past, too.

Are you sure it was full frame? I haven't watched all the episodes that CMT have shown, but everyone I have seen has been majorly cropped. I don't get CMT in hd,  but I would have thought the aspect ratio would be the same on CMT and CMT HD.

#22 of 37 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 15 2014 - 10:17 PM

Are you sure it was full frame? I haven't watched all the episodes that CMT have shown, but everyone I have seen has been majorly cropped. I don't get CMT in hd,  but I would have thought the aspect ratio would be the same on CMT and CMT HD.

Full frame. No bars on top or bottom. I have my Directv receiver set to "stretch" the sides but not the bottom, so if it were cropped, I would have saw that. My guess is it's 4x3HD and my receiver is stretching it on over. It looks pretty amazing. My son got the 1st season on DVD from his mother so I may plug one of those in and see how they compare to the CMT versions.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#23 of 37 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,624 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted January 16 2014 - 01:19 PM

I know if they were doing it today, they wouldn't require the actress to wear pantyhose under them! Very ridiculous "rule", given that the bikini she wears in the opening credits is much tinier than those shorts. I think ABC standards and practices had a similar rule on the set of Three's Company.

I've only ever heard Gene Roddenberry talk about the measuring cleavage thing.  :D  I didn't know all that spilled into the 70s and 80s. After TV went jiggle I had always thought it was open season! 

Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#24 of 37 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:03 AM

I think these are new prints. The colors are different and I've noticed some picture clean up and picture stabilization. Just watching "Double Sting" tonight, there is an obvious difference at the very beginning where the Dukes are run off the road. On the dvd, this scene looks like it takes place at dusk and both cars are using their headlights to see. On the hd print, this scene is much brighter. It looks like the cars have their headlights on in broad daylight.

Oh, dear. Sounds like that scene was shot "day-for-night" and whoever did the remastering forgot to correctly grade the color (same mistake happened on MGM's release of the Dark Shadows revival series, making it appear the vampire was walking around in daytime).

#25 of 37 jeremy223

jeremy223

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 11:03 AM

Yep. That's exactly what happened.

#26 of 37 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 10:12 AM

I just picked up season 1 DVD set and noticed that it's now single-sided discs, but it still has the double-sided DVD menu telling me to flip the disc over for more episodes. Anyway, if this comes out on Blu-ray, I'm in for it.

#27 of 37 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 03:08 PM

I just picked up season 1 DVD set and noticed that it's now single-sided discs, but it still has the double-sided DVD menu telling me to flip the disc over for more episodes.

The single sided dvd discs version of Wonder Woman season 1 is like this too.

Probably no point in re-doing all the menus again.

• WadeM likes this

#28 of 37 UniversalPhan

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 11:59 PM

Dukes of Hazzard is in full frame and I can tell you that all of the Warner Brothers reissued DVD sets are now single sided disks but have the same menu (flip disk over) options. I believe Universal is doing the same thing.

• WadeM likes this

#29 of 37 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 07:53 AM

On average, I found the Warner double-sided flipper dvd discs somewhat more reliable than the flipper disks manufactured by Universal.

Perhaps Warner had better quality control than Universal?

In the case of the Dukes, IIRC it was seasons 1, 2, 3 and 6 which were originally released as double sided flipper discs?

#30 of 37 UniversalPhan

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 12:28 PM

That's correct on the Warner/Universal QC issues. The problem with flipper disks I always had would be that I always ended up getting scratched disks.

#31 of 37 dora.slate

dora.slate

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 03:46 PM

Dukes of Hazzard is in full frame and I can tell you that all of the Warner Brothers reissued DVD sets are now single sided disks but have the same menu (flip disk over) options. I believe Universal is doing the same thing.

where have you seen single sided dvds for the dukes of hazzard season 2 3 6 ?  and if you seen them  has season 4 5 7 been re-released in keep cases and no longer in digipaks ?

#32 of 37 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted March 15 2014 - 05:14 PM

Have the original masters been done in HD? My kids watch it on CMT all the time and it doesn't look all that "hi-def" to me.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#33 of 37 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 04:35 AM

Was the Dukes originally done on film or videotape?

Was it edited on film or videotape?

#34 of 37 John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 687 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted March 16 2014 - 10:57 AM

Was the Dukes originally done on film or videotape?

Was it edited on film or videotape?

It was shot in 35mm.  I'm sure at that point in time it was edited on film also.

#35 of 37 UniversalPhan

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:31 PM

The only thing I do know is that Warner has reissued Season 1, just like they did with Chips Season 1 and 2. I think Warner Brothers and Universal and even now, Fox Home Video, are just going back and reissuing previous sets at a lower cost. I've noticed that studios are going back, repackaging old sets, repressing double sided DVDs as single sided disks and then reissuing them at a lower rpice. They've discovered that they can make new profits on these sets by repackaging them.

Warner has been doing this for years. I think it all started with Babylon 5 and Gilmore girls. Then, other studios started following suit, as we've seen with Fox Home Video (X-Files) and Paramount, with Frasier.

#36 of 37 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 11:49 AM

The only thing I do know is that Warner has reissued Season 1, just like they did with Chips Season 1 and 2.

Was season 1 of CHiPs originally released as flipper discs?  The different listings of season 1 on amazon, list it as 6 discs.  (My copy is 6 discs).

For season 2, my copy is a 4 disk version of which three of the discs were flippers.  The 4th disc is a "special features" disc that is single sided.

#37 of 37 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 11:52 AM

I think Warner Brothers and Universal and even now, Fox Home Video, are just going back and reissuing previous sets at a lower cost. I've noticed that studios are going back, repackaging old sets, repressing double sided DVDs as single sided disks and then reissuing them at a lower price.

Which Fox flipper sets have been re-released as single sided discs?

Awhile ago I picked up the repackaged versions of all four "Remington Steele" season sets.  They were the flipper disc versions in a different new packaging.

EDIT:  Taking a look at amazon listings, it appears hardly any of the "Remington Steele" season sets are available either from amazon or is fulfilled by amazon.  Perhaps these "repackaged flipper discs" version were recalled by Fox?  Could this be a sign that Fox is releasing single sided discs version of "Remington Steele"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users