-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: SORCERER (Blu-ray Book)

Warner BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 of 135 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted January 28 2014 - 01:27 PM

This release is as important to me as IAMMMMW was to a lot of folks here. I've got my own personal countdown going on for this :). The only other announcement that might trump it is THE ABYSS. Not too optimistic about seeing an announcement for that one, though. Even if it IS coming out this year it probably won't street until the end of the year.

#22 of 135 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,847 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 28 2014 - 02:06 PM

I saw SORCERER when it first premiered and can remember next to nothing about it other than being bored witless! No doubt I was comparing it unfavourably with the brilliant WAGES OF FEAR (which incidentally I was taken to see when it was first released when I was just 8 years old and my first subtitled viewing experience!). Nevertheless I would be intrigued to see the film again and hopefully reappraise it.

I'm puzzled by the press release giving the title of one of Bruno Cremer's films as UNDER THE SUN. What is this film? I can't trace it anywhere as one of Mr Cremer's. Going off topic a bit, Bruno Cremer was a wonderful MAIGRET in the French TV series and I saw him in the film FLESH OF THE ORCHID recently - an amazingly weird and fascinating French noirish thriller.   

#23 of 135 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,355 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 28 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'm puzzled by the press release giving the title of one of Bruno Cremer's films as UNDER THE SUN. What is this film? I can't trace it anywhere as one of Mr Cremer's.    

Most likely a typo.  I bet they meant Under the Sand.

#24 of 135 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 03:06 PM

That would be weird given that WB just dumped the DVD down to "Archive" status just last year… except that they're doing the same thing with GET CARTER, which I never thought we'd see in hi-def. 

Actually later in the podcast there is a clip of Friedkin himself saying when Warner Brothers was working on the blu-ray of Cruising they went looking for the 40 minutes that he cut from the film to get it down to an R rating and that they could not find it. So, I would say Warner is bringing out a blu of Cruising. 

#25 of 135 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,677 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 04:05 PM

That would be weird given that WB just dumped the DVD down to "Archive" status just last year… except that they're doing the same thing with GET CARTER, which I never thought we'd see in hi-def. 

This could also be a case of Friedkin personally investing his own money into this venture, something he clearly did with Sorcerer in order to untangle that rights mess it was apparently in and bring that to blu-ray.

#26 of 135 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 28 2014 - 09:26 PM

Warner may just release a Cruising Blu-ray through the Archive. They are supposed to be ramping that program up again with a better turnout than 2013 ended up being.

• JoHud likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#27 of 135 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 31 2014 - 07:18 AM

I can't wait for SORCERER on Blu-ray - it's already on pre-order for me. The intervening three months will be just interminable. But I'll wait. And I'll try to wait patiently and find other things to occupy my time. We've still got a bunch of holiday Blu-rays to get through, so I'll turn my attention to those.

But in the back of my mind will be the thought of finally seeing SORCERER in its intended aspect ratio, in all of its Blu-ray detailed glory.

By the way, I don't think anyone's commented on the artwork for the Blu-ray "book", but I think it's excellent. The haunting expression on Roy Scheider's half-covered face melded with the oil-fire explosion is a pretty good one. I'm usually not one for "floating heads" but this one's pretty decent.

Harry

...counting the days, online...

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#28 of 135 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted January 31 2014 - 07:35 AM

This might pass some of the time for you, Harry, it's fun podcast about Sorcerer and includes a chat with Friedkin. 

http://projection-bo...9-sorcerer.html

#29 of 135 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 756 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 07:33 AM

Another way to pass the time:  Facets is now publicizing the restoration and release of Friedkin's first film, on DVD, a documentary:  The People vs. Paul Crump.

http://www.facetsdvd...-p/dv102364.htm

#30 of 135 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:16 AM

Just 35 days to go now until street date. Hopefully we'll get a Blu-ray review someday soon.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#31 of 135 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 388 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:59 AM

While HTFers await this new Sorcerer they might like to check out a recent two-part special from Top Gear, the BBC's global motoring show.  Clarkson, May and Hammond drive three old trucks across Burma to the River Kwai where they construct a bridge which they must use to take their trucks to the other side.  

#32 of 135 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,210 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 18 2014 - 07:12 AM

I'm not a regular watcher of TOP GEAR, but I do love those occasional episodes (like the one in South America).  I'll have to watch for that one.

#33 of 135 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 01:39 PM

Just 35 days to go now until street date. Hopefully we'll get a Blu-ray review someday soon.

Harry

WB embargoes reviews until 14 days pre-street, so even if this one arrives before then, no reviews can go online until April 8 at the earliest...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#34 of 135 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 02:05 PM

That's fine. I wasn't lobbying for anyone to break rules...

Le'see, 35 days minus 14 days equal 21 days (3 weeks) until a review can appear.  More to look forward to.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#35 of 135 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 04:49 PM

That's fine. I wasn't lobbying for anyone to break rules...

Le'see, 35 days minus 14 days equal 21 days (3 weeks) until a review can appear.  More to look forward to.

Harry

Didn't think you were - just wasn't sure if you knew about WB's embargo! :)

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#36 of 135 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,143 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 05:31 PM

For anyone in the Toronto area, Sorcerer will be screening at the TIFF Lightbox on April 12th, 15tth and 18th.

http://tiff.net/cine...enings/sorcerer

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#37 of 135 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 05:50 PM

"Coming On Videocassette" trailer: http://www.fandango....2796/1882553654

Harry

My DVD Collection

#38 of 135 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 05:14 PM

Just 25 days to street date!

Harry

My DVD Collection

#39 of 135 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 04:27 AM

#40 of 135 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 06:25 AM

Siskel & Ebert reviewed SORCERER on one of their "Overlooked Classics" episodes of SNEAK PREVIEWS. It's the first film reviewed on this show:

http://siskelandeber...looked-Classics

If you've not seen SORCERER and are awaiting its Blu-ray appearance, then you might find the review to be a bit of a spoiler. For those who are familiar with the movie, it's a welcome "classic" review with an attempt to explain why it failed.

Harry

My DVD Collection

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users