What's new

When you hate snow... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So I waited till after football to decide to go down to the other house...

We've been pummeled by snow and the "county is closed"(my cousin who is a doctor was called and told his surgeries for Monday were all cancelled...any staff at the hospitals couldn't leave...all other staff told to stay home. Yeah, that bad.)

I go out in the F250 off-road 4x4(handled worse than this before)...

Go west, car behind me tried to follow...I reach where I can't go further because of cars sitting dead in the road(a woman and child were in one, the other abandoned). The guy behind me gets stuck. Got myself turned around cause I'm the only one smart enough to not be in a car. Had the woman and her child in the truck(there is a state police post right by my house and we were barely a mile from it) and pushed the car that was behind me...3/4 mile down the road(yeah, tough truck).

Then went down my road trying to go the other way. Another stuck vehicle. Man can't catch a break. This is a guy, yanked his AWD GM(whatever it was...Traverse?) about 1/3 mile till he could move back to the truck stops on his own.

Went back that way. Get to where the pavement ends and the gravel road takes over and one of the people down there parked a tractor in the road with a sign "major snow drifts"...

Back home...try tomorrow.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm ready for winter to end. We've had more snow already than we did all of last winter. I cleaned my driveway three times between yesterday and this morning. Luckily, there were very few cars on the road on the drive to work this morning. Hopefully the roads will be plowed for the drive home.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can't even see our driveway. When this bad, we go through the yard. But I'll take a pic and post from the room above the garage.

Our two Subies and F250 are down at the road...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
CAM00022.jpg

Looking west. Miata(bottom edge in the middle, yes that is a Miata covered in snow) and car trailer covered in snow with a leased field. (off to the right is the Quonset with a JD small tractor with a scoop. This much wind, pointless to do anything)

CAM00023.jpg

30 degree angle-ish, so not due south. The driveway runs on the right side of the two trees continuing to the left on this side of the tree grove. The drive is also sunken between 2-5 feet. So between those two trees and this side of the tree grove is not 8-10 inches of snow. It is 2-7 feet of snow. Tracks near the house are where we go when this happens. The far right of the tree line is a power company gas-line station...so the road gets plowed. There is a differently-abled convalescent home another mile down the road...so with those two...first "non-state road" in the area that gets plowed.

Of course, sitting with no wind barrier to the south and west to a couple hundred acres...(had said "east", not "west"...morning caffeine injection hadn't kicked in)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My F250 Powerstroke has a gear reduction starter(If not familiar, spins the motor at 650rpm with a bunch of grunt). It will force the motor to start until -30(when you have to use the immersion heater).It was -17 yesterday. You should have heard the protest...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I live near the Washington/Idaho border. We're starting to get snow from this huge storm. I think we're right on the edge of it, but have gotten about an inch of snow the last hour or so. Temp is still in the mid 20s, so we've avoided the worst of it.

Don't hate snow, but about five years ago, had two winters in a row with six foot+ snowfalls. Not pleasant. City essentially closed down for days each time.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I've already had to shovel my driveway 3 times, and now, dealing with frigid temperatures. We did have one power outage, which thankfully, lasted only 90 minutes. It could have been worse. But there is always that concern that the car won't start, and I would be stranded somewhere in the freezing weather. Just one more day of this, before the temps go back up.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
We had a massive ice storm in 1996. Branches and trees fell all over the city, probably 90% had no power. I was one of the lucky ones and only lost power for four days, for many people it was two weeks or more.

I had just had a cord of wood delivered, burned through almost all of it, even then the house only heated up to about 45 degrees. It's a lot colder than you imagine, especially when outside it's well below freezing, the cold just seems to absorb into everything in the house. The company I worked for still had power and thankfully allowed us to bring our pets into the office.

Had a dog and two cats, who "tolerated" each other, but never really got along. Oddly they all snuggled up together with me on a couch near the fireplace. Any animosity they had vanished as we all just tried to keep warm.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With the snow last night, it is now the snowiest January in recorded history in Michigan. We also are projected to have the 4th coldest January - the combination has made it a brutal month. The forecast for next week does not look to be bringing any relief, with temperatures projected to reach -8F, with highs barely reaching 10F (with high winds, so sub-zero wind chills).

I wish I could retire and move to the Carolinas right now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
With the snow last night, it is now the snowiest January in recorded history in Michigan. We also are projected to have the 4th coldest January - the combination has made it a brutal month. The forecast for next week does not look to be bringing any relief, with temperatures projected to reach -8F, with highs barely reaching 10F (with high winds, so sub-zero wind chills).

I wish I could retire and move to the Carolinas right now.
I know what you mean, brother. Retirement is just around my corner, perhaps as soon as next year.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Our temps are brutal. A fluke today as it hit 32 at 7am. Forecast showed 18 as the high (wind coming from 30° south of west). But reality bites. Not quite 3hrs later...back under 20.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
I know what you mean, brother. Retirement is just around my corner, perhaps as soon as next year.
That's great, Robert. I still have 5-7 years to go. The last two winters were quite mild, so it wasn't so bad. This one has been brutal. It's snowing again! Even lows in the 30's down in the Carolinas sound enticing right now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
That's great, Robert. I still have 5-7 years to go. The last two winters were quite mild, so it wasn't so bad. This one has been brutal. It's snowing again! Even lows in the 30's down in the Carolinas sound enticing right now.
I'm thinking of retiring to Arizona mountains. They get snow, but it gets 60 degrees in the winter too while being around 80 degrees in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks