What's new

Projector decision help needed (1 Viewer)

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
I'm a noobie on this forum(first post), and I am looking for a projector to set up in my basement. Price point for this will be around $2500. It is an open layout but there is no lighting in a 23' x 16' area where the equipment will be set up, with a 7'-6" drop ceiling height. Throw distance can be up to 15 feet, 110" diag. screen is max. Viewing distance will be around 11'-14'. It will be used for some gaming(PS3), sports(football, hockey, baseball), movies, and general TV viewing(comcast). The Panasonic AE8000U is what originally caught my eye but I am not dedicated to any one brand. Any help from more experienced minds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mychaelp

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
If you're looking to save money the BenQ W1070 is tough to beat. I noticed it stacks up to the Optoma pretty well. It isn't a light cannon, but you mentioned you don't have much light in the room. Great for gaming as well. Just my 2cents.
Enjoy your new Home Theater!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I sell a lot of Epson at the lower price point (sub $3500). They have lots of light output and a large zoom range. Also have vertical and horizontal mechanical lens shift.

For the higher end, JVC is very nice and IMO impossible to beat.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Check up on gaming for projectors...

Gaming almost means "DLP by default". The slowest DLP are faster than the fastest LCD.(there is almost no overlap between slowest DLP to fastest LCD)

But, make sure RBE isn't an issue for you(the at the high end,which is your price you shouldn't find any slow colorwheels). I would check out Knoll Systems(if you don't care for 3D...you didn't mention it). DLP hits a price plateau right into D-ILA/LCoS anyway.

Typically Sony are better than JVC at gaming. Sony and JVC would be my choice. Forget LCD(I'll add that I don't like LCD to begin with...be it TV or projector).

I would go straight to this one...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC7900DW-projection-calculator-pro.htm

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Gaming would not be its only use. Maybe 15% of the time. Its main use would be general TV and sports viewing. How would a dlp fair with ambient lighting?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tech of the projector itself has nothing to do with ambient light. There are low lumen DLP, LCD and D-ILA/LCoS.

If you are worried about ambient light(which you said there wouldn't be???) you can buy what we call a "canon"...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-UD8900U-projection-calculator-pro.htm (I'm kidding with this projector, not only from its price. a 110" image at 15 feet provides 165fl. You could almost stand in front of that one and get a tan...)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It gets low ratings from people who buy it for the wrong purpose.

In your original post I took it to mean you'd have low ambient light. If you have medium ambient light, choose a projector with higher lumen.

The W7000 is a "large venue" canon. Which if you need to combat ambient light, you need a "large venue*" regardless of DLP, LCD or D-ILA/LCoS.

*Technically no, you don't need large venue. But a high lumen DLP is often, by default, large venue. And all D-ILA/LCoS high lumen are large venue. Only LCD projectors are made "not large venue" and high lumen.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you value great 3D the Benq W7000 would be a great buy, you can always put an ND filter on it for 2D viewing, the filter will also have a positive effect on black levels for 2D viewing, you remove the filter when the bulb starts to dim, in addition your 15 feet will get you the 110 inches you require, i think the Benq W7000 should be on sale since the new W7500 is coming soon.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
DSC_0651.JPG

This is the wall i will be shooting to. The picture was taken close to where the projector will go, lighting is all the way up, no flash. I dimmed the lights all the way down and my camera wouldn't pick it up because it was too dark. Hope this can help about the ambient light. I would like a projector that could work in this lighting along with it 100% dark. I will be blacking out the ceiling also.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Width isn't the issue it's the height, only 7'-6" ceiling height, don't want to be right on the ceiling with the screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
120 leaves you a 15" above and below. 110 is only a gain of 3" top and bottom.If you watch much 2.40, you'll want the extra 10".

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
By the way if you opted to buy the Benq W7000 i have been reading you can access a secret menu and close the iris down thus improving black levels and negating the need for an ND filter while viewing 2D content, i'm actually quite impressed by what i am reading on the Benq W7000, sure the blacks are not JVC level but what is, it looks pretty decent with perfect 3D and being a DLP it has better motion and a sharper image than most projectors out there.

TinmanLU27

Grip
Real Name
Keith
Just measured it up downstairs and I can fit a 120" screen. The link you posted about the screen mist be broken, sending me to Walmart.com for a 92" screen??

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:
I sent a link for the Elite acousticPro1080p in a 120".
Hey Sam, Ive read a lot of feedback about Elite screens hot spotting. I know theyre a great value, especially for AT, but whats your take and experience on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks