What's new

opinion on the purchase of a new tv (1 Viewer)

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
So I may be in the market for a new tv if i cant fix my plasma screen tv. ive only had the tv a lil over a year. im wanting a 40 to 50 inch tv im thinking led and samsung and lg are the top two brands. i will be buying from best buy as a i have a credit card i can put it on. price limit is 600 tops. it will be used for mostly movies xbox and cable tv. just straight from wall to tv for now no cable box. im open to suggestions on different brands sizes and even if yall dont suggest led can u lead me in the right direction. id like a few hdmi hook ups and digital optic output. i will be adding surround sound or sound bar of some sort. thanks.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
that sharp for the price has really caught my eye. i hear good things about the bigger screen like 55 inch and up of sharp but not much in the smaller screen. ive only owned samsung and love them.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
but its led? what are u trying to get at? not trying to be rude but are u saying led isnt as good as plasma or what?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LED is the backlight. It is still LCD with all the motion blur and "light blacks" of old.You can thank Samsung and Vizio for the confusion.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I spent $600 on my 65" panasonic ST30, had 3100 hours on it. Spent $450 on my 58" panasonic PZ800U, had 1100 hours on it. Found both on craigslist and both still going strong to this day, I recommend you at least check out the local offerings. Plasmas have internal counters that tell you the hours, you can research how to put it up, in advance, and likely the seller wont know a thing about an internal timer. I would also verify the going internet price for that TV, used, before you go look at a used TV, make sure its a good price in advance.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
my only problem is i wasnt expecting to buy a new tv as to why i would like to put it on the card and pay it off over a lil time. im truly hoping the power supply fixes it. ive liked my plasma screens. question on plasma why are most 720p instead of 1080?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bjballar41 said:
my only problem is i wasnt expecting to buy a new tv as to why i would like to put it on the card and pay it off over a lil time. im truly hoping the power supply fixes it. ive liked my plasma screens. question on plasma why are most 720p instead of 1080?
Does the USA not have a law like we have in Europe that says a television should last a reasonable length of time, usually 6 or 7 years, it can be hard proving faults and getting fixes under this law but at least it's in place, does North America not have some type of law like this. ?

Some cheaper plasma from a few years back is 720p but modern new ones tend to be all 1080p although we could discuss one of last years Samsung plasma models and the pentile display and half resolution, that's for a whole new thread though.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
FoxyMulder said:
Does the USA not have a law like we have in Europe that says a television should last a reasonable length of time, usually 6 or 7 years, it can be hard proving faults and getting fixes under this law but at least it's in place, does North America not have some type of law like this. ?
i doubt we do only thing we have is like a warranty.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FoxyMulder said:
Nope. Most TV have 1yr parts/labor. Some manufacturers add in extra if you register your purchase(So they can offer you future stuff).Aftermarket warranty is huge business here. Be it cars or CE.Try to your TV first.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
part should be in on tuesday and i really hope it fixes it. i looked on craigslist and most are tvs that are fixed or new tvs they are trying to sell from a store for like 600 or more.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here's why a used 1 year TV is fine though...95% of failures happen the first 18 months. Once a TV makes it outside that window...You might be able to arrange a partial trade with yours, provided you go to a guy/store that fixes them to re-sell them. But I will hedge a bet, provided the PS you bought is good, that is the fix.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
i sure hope ur right. i do love my tvs lol and cant wait to add more to my home theater systems a lil at a time

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
i was reading in another thread that schan1269 had said plasma is on the outs? and oled is replacing it but prices are outrages can u go into a lil more detail or have an article on this?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Panny is dropping plasma (old news) .Samsung and LG are it next year.OLED has hit snags(Sony and Panny ended their mutual research).If LCD is all we have in 2 more years, I'll never buy another TV. DLP and D-ILA/ LCoS projectors will be all I'll buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks