What's new

Whats Your Favorite K-Cup? (1 Viewer)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I have been a regular user of my Keurig since receiving it as a wedding gift some time ago. My current favorite K-Cup is the Donut Shop Light Roast. I like it because it is not as bitter as many other coffees I have had and it goes amazing with my French Vanilla Creamer.

Whats your favorite K-Cup or do you use your own coffee? Does anyone grind their own for their Keurig, if so what type of beans do you use?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Emerils Big Easy BoldGreen Mountain Breakfast BlendI bought the fresh-grind cup, but have never used it. The Keurig is so convenient, I compelled switched from French Press, and haven't ground beans in three years.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I've never had Emerils Easy Bold before, I'm going to have to try it. Where do you pick it up?

I usually Green Mountain Breakfast Blend on hand as well. A lot of my visitors really enjoy it and I like a break from the donut shop from time to time and that one is great for that for me.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've had my Keurig for a year, and will never look back. A godsend.

Emeril's Big Easy Bold
Newman's Own Special Blend
Starbucks Breakfast Blend
Dunkin' Donuts

I like a certain amount of dark roast, but mostly love a regular roast and blend -- black, and no flavors, please, though I do enjoy a little cinnamon in coffee now and then.

Through several months of experimenting with different coffees, I found the challenge with the Keurig to be getting a strong enough cup. There were many selections for which even the small (6-oz.) size wouldn't deliver.

The four I've listed provide a satisfying strength, for my taste, on the medium (8-oz.) size. Special kudos goes to Starbucks because theirs can go large and still taste like good coffee as opposed to flavored hot water. Dunkin' recommends the 8-oz. setting for keeping the flavor as close as possible to their original, and I completely agreed with that.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I like the Starbucks Verona K-cup. I also have the fresh grind filter and am a big fan of Kicking Horse Coffee. The Kick Ass blend is dark, and tasty. One thing about the Keurig fresh grind filter is that not enough back pressure is created so you can experience a weak cup with it. I recommend using the following ‘life hack’.http://lifehacker.com/5828535/brew-stronger-coffee-with-your-keurig-my-k+cup

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My faves are the butter toffee and the French toast.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Charles Smith said:
Newman's Own Special Blend
I'll second the Newman's. That's my favorite regular brand. I have to have at least a medium roast. To me, the light roast regulars are more like weak tea than actual coffee.

I also like any variety of Tully's brand. Madison Blend was my favorite that they discontinued years ago. I just saw yesterday that they've brought it back in stores. But any of their varieties are quite good.

I actually think the Green Mountain varieties are my least favorites, though their Colombian is quite good.

I like some flavors, such as Pumpkin Spice and Gingerbread. I got some of Target's brand, Archer Farms Candy Cane this year that was quite good (like a peppermint mocha flavor).

I bought some Melitta yesterday with a coupon that was expiring. Never tried it before.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I mainly drink decaf, and I like really strong tasting coffee; so my choices are limited. My favorite is Barista Prima Italian Roast Decaf. My wife drinks the non-decaf version. I have to get the decaf at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I deliver various types of coffee, including K-Cups, to businesses so I can "sample" many different brands/varieties. Italian is by far the most popular (though I don't care for it) followed by French Roast and Colombian.

At the store the Eight O'Clock brand is pretty good and usually cheaper then the name brands.

I also drink decaf and Timothy's Decaf Columbian is my current favorite. It's a brand we don't carry at work which is the main reason I buy it. But it's better to me then the other decaf K-Cups we offer at work.

There are a few other styles of adaptors on the market that allow you to use your own ground coffee. Some replace the existing cup holder in your machine while others fit inside it. Another one uses really tiny paper filters in it's own holder. Haven't tried it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Reusable-Brewers-Filters-filters/dp/B0091146V8

The main concern with these K-Cup systems is waste. But it looks like the plastic containers are now recycleable. There are also new competing single cup brewing machines entering the market. The K-Cup system has sold a ton of machines and they get free advertising by being popular at the workplace. But I wonder who will be left when the smoke clears.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Northgun said:
I've never had Emerils Easy Bold before, I'm going to have to try it. Where do you pick it up? I usually Green Mountain Breakfast Blend on hand as well. A lot of my visitors really enjoy it and I like a break from the donut shop from time to time and that one is great for that for me.
Green Mountain Coffee ClubI use the least-frequent re-order plan, and it's a bit cheaper than buying retail.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We get that one at bed bath beyond. Usually about $9 after their coupon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
David_B_K said:
I mainly drink decaf, and I like really strong tasting coffee; so my choices are limited. My favorite is Barista Prima Italian Roast Decaf. My wife drinks the non-decaf version. I have to get the decaf at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
You could try Tully's French Roast decaf. It's pretty strong and is available at Walmart here. Though it's probably not quite as strong as the Italian. If you have any TJ Maxx (also Marshall's and HomeGoods) or Big Lots in your area, you should check there once in a while. I picked up a bunch of decaf at Big Lots a while back, and occasionally find boxes at TJ Maxx. Usually $9 for a pack of 18.

Another good place to find a large variety of reasonably priced K-cups is Christmas Tree Shops (which, I guess, is a division of Bed, Bath & Beyond).

I should also mention San Francisco Bay's Fog Lifter. Also very good and they don't use the plastic cup, just a filter and grounds, so there's less waste (and it costs less...$28 for 80 cups at BJ's Wholesale Club, vs. $40 for Green Mountain and others).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have a Cuisinart. Frankly, I use it mostly to brew tea with the K-cup attachment that would normally be used with fresh ground coffee beans. I use loose leaf tea from David's tea. Cream of Earl Grey is a fave with "The Earl's Garden" being a close second. Sometimes seems a little weak but that is probably due to me trying to use as few tea leaves as possible. The stuff isn't cheap, so I try to make it last.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Edwin-S said:
I have a Cuisinart. Frankly, I use it mostly to brew tea with the K-cup attachment
Do you ever shop Teavana for tea? I don't have one where I live so I can't give a personal review on it, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Malcolm R said:
You could try Tully's French Roast decaf. It's pretty strong and is available at Walmart here. Though it's probably not quite as strong as the Italian.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen the Tully's French Roast decaf and was tempted to try it; but held off for fear of being stuck with a box of coffee I might not like. In addition to that Italian roast I mentioned, I can make do with Stabuck's House Blend decaf if I can't get to BBB. Surprisingly, Gevalia decaf is terrible, IMO. I'll try the Tully's as I can find it easier than the Italian.

Because I have to limit caffeine intake (it impacts blood glucose levels and too much causes me to have benign heart arrythmia issues), I like to make up in flavor for what I lack in caffeine.

John Gido

Second Unit
My wife loves the Keurig that I got for her however, me not being a coffee person, I'm a little disappointed in the choices that are offered for hot chocolate drinkers. Basically, there are only a few, with most of the major players offering their milk chocolate variety and only one dark chocolate (Café Escapes). Also available is white chocolate.

Why can't someone offer some variety in flavor such as: raspberry chocolate, caramel chocolate, irish crème, etc. It can't be THAT HARD.

There are packets of different flavors available the old-fashioned way, but someone really needs to step-up and offer these in a K-cup version.

End of rant.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Northgun said:
Do you ever shop Teavana for tea? I don't have one where I live so I can't give a personal review on it, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Nope. Where I live, the only seller of loose leaf tea is David's Tea in one of our local malls. They have a fair sized selection of different teas. I have tried several, but I find that the ones I like best are the one that I mentioned earlier. I tried a Chinese Oolong Milk tea but I wasn't too fussy for it. The brewer came with a selection of cups and I finally tried the Celestial Seasonings "Sleepy Time" herbal tea. Smelt like Spearmint. Not too bad actually. I could drink it without sugar. I might see if I can get more of that. I tried a couple of the coffee cups too, but I'm not much of a coffee drinker. I have to put too much sugar and milk in to kill the taste.

Interesting avatar; although, the love she gets from the fandom borders on the insane. Kind of more partial to AJ myself.

John Gido said:
My wife loves the Keurig that I got for her however, me not being a coffee person, I'm a little disappointed in the choices that are offered for hot chocolate drinkers. Basically, there are only a few, with most of the major players offering their milk chocolate variety and only one dark chocolate (Café Escapes). Also available is white chocolate.

Why can't someone offer some variety in flavor such as: raspberry chocolate, caramel chocolate, irish crème, etc. It can't be THAT HARD.

There are packets of different flavors available the old-fashioned way, but someone really needs to step-up and offer these in a K-cup version.

End of rant.
I'll second that. It would be nice to get more selection of cups for non-coffee drinkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks