Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A Sneak Peek at Zulu and Khartoum

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#41 of 252 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 31 2013 - 03:56 PM

All Twilight Time Blu-rays are only available through Screen Archives Entertainment - they also list on amazon in the US but at a higher price - best to buy direct.

Aren't they also available through TCM Shop at about $5 more than Screen Archives Entertainment, though, they don't ship outside of USA? 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#42 of 252 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted December 31 2013 - 05:01 PM

For anyone new to Twilight Time, just bookmark the following link and it will always show you all of the currently available TT blu-ray releases on Screen Archives, sorted from newest to oldest:

http://www.screenarc...fm?category=546

#43 of 252 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 31 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't really count TCM Shop - more money and I always feel direct from the supplier is always better.

• dana martin and ahollis like this

#44 of 252 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,807 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 05:33 PM

All Twilight Time Blu-rays are only available through Screen Archives Entertainment - they also list on amazon in the US but at a higher price - best to buy direct.

Sorry - I should've been more specific - I was asking about the earlier UK release, the one that's being compared to Twilight Time's version. 

#45 of 252 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted December 31 2013 - 06:22 PM

Just tried to search for Khartoum on Amazon UK and it didn't turn it except for some old DVDs. Is it a retailer exclusive (the new BD I mean)? 

Sorry - I should've been more specific - I was asking about the earlier UK release, the one that's being compared to Twilight Time's version. 

There is no other Blu-ray release of Khartoum aside from Twilight Time's upcoming version. The comparison discussion was around the two versions of Zulu, one of which was released back in 2008 in the UK.

#46 of 252 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,807 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 06:31 PM

There is no other Blu-ray release of Khartoum aside from Twilight Time's upcoming version. The comparison discussion was around the two versions of Zulu, one of which was released back in 2008 in the UK.

Oh, I see - thanks for clearing it up. I was sort of skimming through everyone's posts and didn't realize you guys are comparing Zulu. Will definitely grab Khartoum from TT.

#47 of 252 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,525 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 06:37 AM

There was a vocal dissent about this BD being bad just like there was a vocal approval for this BD.  How was I not being fair with my comment about "not in this lifetime" comment about the following:

It has always been my impression that not too many claimed that the UK version did not have some form of DNR but that they liked it despite acknowledging that "something" was going on.

Maybe I am wrong about this as I don't usually go that much by what others write about discs and therefore I might not have read enough posts on the matter.
So while I can see looking back that it could be read this way it was not my intention to call your post unfair, I just got a different impression of the course of discussions and my wording was off.

I will say one more thing though: Threads about Blu-rays of Zulu are never boring, there is always something to discuss...

#48 of 252 Magnús Þorsteinn Magnússon

Magnús Þorsteinn Magnússon

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 01:54 PM

One thing.

Is the original 6-track 70mm audio lost?

#49 of 252 Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 02:06 PM

One thing.

It has long been thought to be lost. Logically, if it still existed it would be in the UK, owned by Paramount, and have been utilized for the UK Blu-ray, but it wasn't. This is often a consequence of a film having multiple owners in different territories of the world; the elements get moved around, left and forgotten wherever they were last sent. However, if film history has taught us anything, it is that things can turn up, so we would never rule out a sudden discovery. There were recent rumors that Paramount in Europe were considering revisiting the film in 2014 to coincide with the 50th anniversary, but those plans seem to be on hold. 

N.

";s:7:"insider

#50 of 252 stevenHa

stevenHa

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 03:27 PM

I course I can't wait to hear what Robert Harris has to say about the 2 versions of Zulu, but are the extras on the UK edition interesting enough to want to keep both for that reason ? 

#51 of 252 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 10:13 PM

It has always been my impression that not too many claimed that the UK version did not have some form of DNR but that they liked it despite acknowledging that "something" was going on.

It looks like a pretty good transfer of a 70mm film to me. I don't expect to see much grain with a large format.

#52 of 252 nara

nara

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 12:43 AM

It looks like a pretty good transfer of a 70mm film to me.

See post #12.

The negative is big, but not 70mm.

#53 of 252 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 11:46 AM

Then it looks like a good transfer of a big negative.

• nara likes this

#54 of 252 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2014 - 05:50 PM

Looks like it's starting to ship according to an email from SAE.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#55 of 252 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,448 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 11:42 PM

I'm thinking Zulu is a bit late in shipping.  The other two already started getting shipped earlier this week.

#56 of 252 Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 06:09 AM

I've received "Khartoum" and it looks great! Not totally clean but still excellent. Large format grain structure and loads of detail! Epic in everything but length. The movie, of course, does remind me of LoA but not the cash-in sort of way. The scene with Gordon and Gladstone in the train station does remind me of the Allenby/Lawrence scenes from LoA - very,very fine work. The fantastic score stirs the blood. If you love excellent transfers of these BIG (2.76:1 AR) roadshow films, get it before it's gone.

• Reed Grele likes this

#57 of 252 Dubstar

Dubstar

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:56 AM

One thing.

from what I've been hearing Nick Redman states 6-track 70mm audio is 'lost' - that doesn't add up, since 'restored' 70mm prints were shown at both the AFI Silver and Film Society of Lincoln Center in 2012 (I saw and heard it at the former) and the original five front channel/mono surround mix was intact (and I'm pretty sure it was not the original mag sound but encoded DTS discs - which would suggest the original audio has been archived digitally).  

#58 of 252 Dubstar

Dubstar

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:58 AM

^ sorry that was referring to 'Khartoum' not 'Zulu' 

#59 of 252 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,071 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:08 AM

Does SAE stagger shipments on new releases?  A number of people are reporting having received one or more of this month's Twilight Time titles, while I haven't even gotten a shipping notice -- and I ordered all four of them on day one.  And wasn't the original target date next week?  Not that that matters, I'm fine with early shipments!   :)   Just wondering.

#60 of 252 Dubstar

Dubstar

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 09:18 AM

I don't get that either Charles - I'm in the same boat as you - ordered day 1, live in DC which is a hop, skip and jump from them and still haven't received the discs.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users