What's new

Another Noob (1 Viewer)

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Another noob here. I found the fourm while searching for some answers to several problems I was having trying to get up to date on the new technology, which to me was HDTV and BR players. I didn't know what HDMI was.I had Comcast to send me a HD cable box for my new HDTV since my old CRT bit the dust.. Unfortunately, my older Yamaha receiver, while superb still, doesn't have HDMI connections so, I suppose I'll have to watch BR movies via the player to TV rather than the receiver. I can live with that for awhile.

I've discovered when you get behind 5-10 years in electronics the world passes you by and I'm way behind. I still thought component video was the best there was! Well, that and S-Video. I found out last week I was wrong. It's been a learning experinece and I'm just getting my feet wet. Video is one aspect of it all but I still enjoy the fine audio of a Marantz receiver from the late 70's with a Nakamichi ZX-7 hooked in...sheer Nirvana!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome David!Wow that IS a pretty big gap. I'd hate to see ya give up using your real speakers and have all the glory of bluray stuck funneled through a TV... You are definitely right about the fast paced churn of technology. I recommend taking a look at some of the entry level to $500 receivers, they are pretty dang smoking these days!I personally prefer Denon receivers but there are dozens of alternatives in this price range...http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E400-Channel-Networking-Receiver/dp/B00B7X2OTY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388507639&sr=1-3&keywords=denon+receiverOf course if your budget allows it, the sky is the limit, but it's not a shield against the march of tech!Welcome and good luck!

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Denon does and always has made great equipment. When I think Denon I remember their audio equipment from long ago among other greats like Nakamichi and Carver. The Yamaha AV receiver I have now, although no HDMI connections, has been a superb receiver although it's beginning to get some years on it...maybe 8-12. I'm, not too fond of replacing it as yet, however. I have looked at another Yamaha RX-375BL that's a 5.1 receiver and it looks and reminds me of my current one but has several HDMI connections.

I'll check out the Denon as well. Thanks for that link and the welcome.

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Wow-I just looked over the Denon AVR-E400 on Amazon and B&H. Impressive array of connections and specs. I'll have to keep this one on the front burner for sure.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ColColt said:
Wow-I just looked over the Denon AVR-E400 on Amazon and B&H. Impressive array of connections and specs. I'll have to keep this one on the front burner for sure.
Very true, and the next level up (2000) model is only $150 more if you find you need it. Denon has terrific bang for the buck and I love their consistency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks