What's new

Best to play USB movies through TV or Blu-Ray Player? (1 Viewer)

amecily

Auditioning
Real Name
Amy
Hi there,

I would just like to know if it is best to play digital movies stored on a hard drive through a blu-ray player or through a TV?

My TV is a Samsung 55F6800 and blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S460. Would the blu-ray player be more adept at upscaling/would they both be the same?

Thanks a lot,
Amy

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It actually comes down to more "the content on said USB" rather than just being USB.

Many TV can't digest DTS(that info is in the TV manual).

Your BD player will accept "basically everything".

The true test...is if the HTiB will accept DTS off the toslink. Many won't. But regardless...

Play everything in the BD player. If you run across DTS on a USB the HTiB won't play...go back into setup on the BD player and change it to doing the decoding.

Matter of fact...I'd set the BD player that anyway. The only issue will be if the HTiB doesn't accept multi-channel PCM over toslink.

You'll just have settings for audio to play around with.

Worst case is the HTiB won't take DTS or MCH PCM and you'll have to set DTS for "stereo downmix" and use Dolby ProLogic in the HTiB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks