• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 29 2013 - 09:14 PM

With the new season premiering next week, I thought I'd get the discussion started. Season five of Graham Yost's six-season meditation on Elmore Leonard lawman Raylan Givens premieres January 7th on FX:

"A Murder of Crowes": Raylan tangles with a deadly branch of the Crowe family tree in Florida; Boyd goes into the dark heart of the collapsing Detroit mob.

Some tidbits about the new season from Entertainment Weekly:
Spoiler

Some additional returning characters from previous seasons:
Spoiler

And the new faces:
Spoiler

Trailer:

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, December 29 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#2 of 64 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 05:16 AM

Bring it on, is all I have to say. Thanks for compiling all this.
  • Adam Lenhardt and Doug Wallen like this

#3 of 64 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,502 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 30 2013 - 01:40 PM

Dewey Crowe, Constable Bob, Wynn Duffy, Judge Reardon!  Dang, this is gonna be great.  Let's get started!

• Doug Wallen likes this

#4 of 64 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 10:57 AM

Reading all the above info has really got me ready for this new season.  Let's go to Harlan! :D

Doug

a:5:{s:9:"signature

#5 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 03 2014 - 07:09 PM

Four days to go!

Entertainment Weekly: Michael Rapaport on working with gators and playing the new 'Justified' Big Bad

#6 of 64 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 03 2014 - 07:29 PM

This is the next to last season so I expect it to setup next year's final season.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 64 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 07:08 AM

It is? That was announced?

#8 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 04 2014 - 07:22 AM

I don't think there's ever been a formal announcement, but in interviews creator/showrunner Graham Yost has consistently said he envisions the show as a 5-6 season show. Given that this is season five, and we've heard nothing about it being the final season, it seems all but certain that next season will be. The idea is to go out strong and not overstay the show's welcome.

#9 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,020 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted January 04 2014 - 12:04 PM

I am rewatching Season 4 in anticipation of Season 5.

First episode, and less than 5 minutes in:

We get a great, angry muttering loud enough for the wife to hear.

We get a dead body falling from the sky.

We get a, "He sure as hell ain't Santa Claus."

We get a, "It's from The Big Lebowski. Netflix it, and be one of the cool kids."

Then we get Boyd blowing up a car. Cannot wait for Season 5.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#10 of 64 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,177 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 12:24 PM

Dewey Crowe, Constable Bob, Wynn Duffy, Judge Reardon!  Dang, this is gonna be great.  Let's get started!

I was already sold at the name Wynn Duffy! :)

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#11 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 06 2014 - 11:05 AM

Returns tomorrow!

Entertainment Weekly: Walton Goggins on the return to a darker, more violent Boyd Crowder

#12 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,020 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 03:10 PM

Tim was on Conan last night...and much fun was made of his college photo:

o-TIMOTHY-OLYPHANT-1-570.jpg

http://teamcoco.com/...weed-james-bond

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#13 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 07 2014 - 04:40 PM

Even back then, he had those super-intense eyes.

Just a heads up to those who are DVRing tonight's episode: Windows Media Center lists the season premiere as running 75 minutes, so make sure your recording extends to 11:15/10:15c.

#14 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,020 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 07:28 PM

Classy little tribute, there.

#15 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,020 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 07:52 PM

Multiple people:

"...That was last week."

Followed shortly thereafter by:

"Had to shoot the chainsaw-guy. Sorry...shit happens."

#16 of 64 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 08:12 PM

Nice premiere.  Seems to be gearing up for a great season!!!

Doug

a:5:{s:9:"signature

#17 of 64 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 07 2014 - 09:14 PM

Strong premiere. I loved that it opened with an excessive force civil lawsuit, since I've been waiting for that shoe to drop pretty much since day one. I liked that Raylan testified honestly. And as always, Dewey Crowe's reaction was classic.

I liked that they borrowed Steven Soderbergh's trick from Out of Sight and filmed all of the Detroit scenes with a blue filter to make it look extra cold and miserable in contrast to Kentucky and Florida. And like Out of Sight things are completely out of control once they get to Detroit. If I had a complaint about that sequence, it was returning Sammy to punchline status literally one episode after upgrading him to bad ass status. I could believe that the Sammy Tonin from the third season would have found himself in that predicament, but I didn't really believe that the Sammy Tonin that took out Nicky Augustine would have found himself that predicament.

If they had to kill off a Crowe, it was nice that it was the most stereotypical redneck Crowe. Although I will say it was worth it to see Lt. Randy Disher from "Monk" kill a man in cold blood. And it was also nice to know that Dewey actually wasn't the stupidest member of the Crowe family.

Heading into the funeral parlor scene, I was just getting to feel that the show was getting predictable, with new variations on the show's well-established themes. But then Boyd beat Lee Paxton to death for challenging his love for Ava. I would have never expected that from Boyd, but I believed it. And that was the moment I knew "Justified" was truly back.

Nice to see Matt Craven cameo reprising his role as the Miami chief deputy from the pilot. And man, the level and quantity of talent in the guest credits for this episode was insane. It went on a good five minutes, and I recognized most of the names. Loved Wade popping up as Dewey's bartender: "Hey, Raylan…can I get you a blowjob or somethin’?" Hopefully we'll get more of Dave Foley and Will Sasso as the Canadians. They were terrific.

#18 of 64 OFFLINE   Mark_B

Mark_B

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted January 08 2014 - 04:51 AM

Even back then, he had those super-intense eyes.

Just a heads up to those who are DVRing tonight's episode: Windows Media Center lists the season premiere as running 75 minutes, so make sure your recording extends to 11:15/10:15c.

For some reason uverse recorded the first 17 minutes, and that was it. Hopefully I can find it online somewhere. Dont know how they screwed that up. 

#19 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,020 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:57 PM

I was also ecstatic to see Koechner, Foley, and Sasso in meaty roles that will hopefully showcase their talents.

Originally, I was distracted during the opening by the seemingly-endless list of guest stars. All these names kept popping up, and I just got more and more excited. We live in a world where one Kid in the Hall is on Justified, and another is on Hannibal. Seriously, who could've called that?

But these guys all worked well in their respective roles. Hell, I'd take a spin-off focusing on Koechner's character in Florida.

Loved seeing Boyd out of his element, although I was hoping to see more of his Canadian adventures.

#20 of 64 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,020 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 07:33 PM

Just realized something:

I know that I'm sometimes slow with more subtle stuff on shows, but I was in the shower tonight (that's my thinking-time) and realized that Boyd offered the funeral-home guy $300,000 that he didn't have right now, but could have "within the week." The exact amount that he must have just heard Dewey received in a court settlement. 

And of course, the next time we see Dewey, he's in a swimming pool with two whores at his new business, so of course Boyd got every last penny of that settlement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users