What's new

New here and building a new system (1 Viewer)

Charley_03

Grip
Real Name
Charley
I am finally upgrading my home theater. Just hauled the old 36'' 15 year old tv out of the house. It is replaced by a samsung 46'' 7500af 3D tv. My sony DA50es receiver now needs to be replaced. An onkyo tx-nr818 will be replacing it. I have 4 acoustic research ar216ps bookshelf speakers, a signet model AP-A100 sub and a Paradigm CC-50 center speaker. Are these speakers still good? I think I want to add tower speakers. My budget is not unlimited. I have been looking at the Onkyo SKS-HT870 Home Theater Speaker System. Which setup would sound better for movies? Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Charley_03

Grip
Real Name
Charley
Wow I had not checked into that. Guess I will keep em as they are still worth more than the set I was looking at. How about my sub and center channel? It would be great if I could use my whole budget on a pair of towers. What would you recommend? Or should I do something other than towers? What would you suggest for around $500?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is an AR center on Ebay that works with the AR216. There is a guy selling a pair of AR216 with shipping included for $99. I think he's the same guy with the center.

I'd buy that pair and the center so you can do 7.1.

As for the "free shipping", the way his listing reads he isn't aware he is giving the shipping away...

I'd buy, pay...and them let him wiggle his own way out of his oops.

Charley_03

Grip
Real Name
Charley
Thanks, I have a sub and center that I mention in my initial post. Are they no good? I did buy the 216s on eBay. I actually did it before I saw your last post because one of my four 216 has either a blown tweeter or woofer. I should now have 5 good 216s. So I am looking for either 2 more towers or something. I do want to take advantage of the 7.1 I think the receiver is listed as 7.2. Not quite sure what that refers to. Any suggestions. I am mostly using this as a theater but do listen to music as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And...You might pull the woofer out of your current 216 and check for a loose wire. And since you'll have(at least) 5, if you have room, use one as your center(no, I'm not kidding).A whole 5pack of 216 could easily sell for twice the price of 2 pairs separate. Shouldn't be hard to find AR towers like yours(stay away from "Audiovox AR".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Last thing...AR, like DCM(before Steve sold it), have a huge following.Yeah, you can find DCM TW, TF and CX cheap. But my set of TF aren't leaving my house till I'm dead.

Charley_03

Grip
Real Name
Charley
Sam thanks for your help on this. For some reason I can not get the link to work. I was informed via email that you had set up a seperate conversation on my subject outside of my introduction post.

Charley_03

Grip
Real Name
Charley
Sorry I received an email stating someone had started a private conversation. I thought it was you but it turned out to be a generic link sent when I signed up. Just a joke about hackers getting into the system and sending emails.

Charley_03

Grip
Real Name
Charley
So which center works best with my 216s? I have found an AR C225ps, an AR psc25, and possibly an AR4-C 2way

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Make sure I'm right, but...

The AR 216ps uses a polycarbonite tweeter.
The C225PS also has PolyCarbonite.

The PSC25 is silk.

You might check your speakers(maybe AR changed tweeters somewhere?) to confirm.

Charley_03

Grip
Real Name
Charley
The oldest thread I can find on the 318s is from 2001.

The 216s have a polycarbonite horn on the tweeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks