What's new

Best way to set up surround sound - TV & Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

amecily

Auditioning
Real Name
Amy
Hi there,

I have recently conducted some research into different types of connectors and the way in which surround sound can be set up, but am very much a newcomer to these principles. I am not currently able to buy an AV Receiver, so I am trying to determine the optimum way in which my surround sound could be configured with my current equipment.

I have the following:

Samsung 55F6800 LED 3D TV
Sony BDP-S490 3D Blu-Ray player
Satellite TV box
Samsung DVD Home Cinema System - HT-TX715

I am not using the Samsung Home Cinema System as a DVD player at all, since I have the blu-ray player. What I am currently doing is connecting the blu-ray player to the Samsung Home Cinema with an optical cable in order to get 5.1 sound (and setting the Samsung Home Cinema input to 'Digital In').

This is working well, but I would like to have surround sound for my Satellite TV as well. Is there a good way to do this or am I completely limited by not having an AV Receiver? The only way I can really think of is to use RCA cables from the TV/Satellite box to the Samsung Home Cinema System and then change the input every time I switch between TV/blu-ray, but this is impractical and (as far I understand), limits me to two channels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks and regards,
Amy

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The best approach is to do exactly what you did for the Bluray player. Since the Cinema System only has one optical port, you could use a switch, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388320697&sr=1-1&keywords=optical+switch

If your cable box doesn't have an optical connection you can often ask your cable provider to give you one that does. Otherwise you're out of luck without a new receiver (which is what the HT-TX715 is).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks