What's new

question on sub hookup (1 Viewer)

watching movies 95%
is is better to use the sub out on the receiver (lfe) or to use the speaker level inputs.
main reason for asking is with the speaker level inputs from the front ,I could put some mini moniters on the "speaker out". -correct?
does the same bass signal go out the front as it does the lfe ?

thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cathy Dearman Morris said:
watching movies 95% Makes no difference what your content is
is is better to use the sub out on the receiver (lfe) or to use the speaker level inputs.
main reason for asking is with the speaker level inputs from the front ,I could put some mini moniters on the "speaker out". -correct? High level output requires use of high level input
does the same bass signal go out the front as it does the lfe ? Only if you tell your AVR "no" on having a sub. Then it splits the signal 50/50 out the speaker terminals to use into the sub, which would then recombine the 50/50 into 1.

thanks
What is the reason you think you want to do this?

Refresh our memory what AVR this is.

let me backup -sorry
I have an older HK avr65. Old, but a strong upgrade for me years ago when I bought it., and still going.
this is the current setup-
front left and right out speaker wires are going to a pair of tower dcm,s with a 10", 6", and tweet in them, with tuner set on "large".
lfe sub output is going to a klipsch ksw10. ,via rca ,split to both inputs.
center is an old infinity and rears are some old bookshelf dcm's. Tuner on "small" to these channels.

the sub has high level input and output (to satellites). I was thinking about running the tuner fronts to the sub high level inputs, and then coming out the sub (sat outs) to some mini monts. With the tuner "fronts" set to large and the sub "off". I guess I would be utilizing the crossover in the sub.
and most likely doing away with the tower dcms.

Im probly over thinking this but I was curious if bass output would suffer. Should I stay with the tuner doing all the crossover duties.(and lfe)
should I just put the minimoniters on the front channels with the tuner set to "small" and keep the sub on the lfe out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In practical purposes...

sub "off" + using high level into sub to bookshelf=sub "on" + speakers set small.

The fact you want to(apparently) remove the DCM...

Simply unhook them, add your smaller speakers...change the front from "large" to "small".

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What tower DCM? I use the TF600, TF350 with a SurroundScape(you can find those used...work well with TimeFrame and TimeWindow) and KX wides.

it has DD and DTS, but am I missing a lot with this receiver? no hdmi.
don't understand a lot of the negative reviews on this receiver. ive had nothing but enjoyment from it. At 2/3rds volume ,you cant stay in the room with the dcm kx212's with surround off.. And once you learn how to control the speaker volumes in surround modes, its simple. Going on 12 - 13 years now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Only if...

1. You have a BD player
2. If you can tell lossless from lossy audio(which only exits on BD)

However...if our AVR65 has a 5.1 analog input(could be labeled 6-channel MCH) you could buy a BD player with the 6/5.1 output.

schan1269 said:
I just looked. HK calls it "6 channel direct", You have one.
this is how I have the audio hooked up- from Samsung brd player with the fronts "large" - rears "small" -center "small" and sub on in the brd player menu.

I also use the optical from the brd player to the optical in on the tuner, and for some reason, this sounds a little better to me than the 6 channel direct.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then you aren't missing anything. If you swap out the DCM212(talk about a party speaker), just change the BD to small on the front as well. (change it in the AVR65 as well)

No need to totally re-wire the speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unfortunately the KX line gets no love. Once Steve sold DCM(around the time the CX was current)...the KX came out and went "big box"(as in the stores...).

The KX wides I have(which I think are the 6...they had no tag when) I bought them at a garage for $10.

I have the kx 6,s in rear.
ive used this setup for years, and love it, but the sharpness in the mid-high department is what I think im missing with the dcm,s. that's why im looking at upgrading the surrounds.
but as far as a "party speaker" -the 212,s alone (surround off) pushed by the avr65 will literally move items off of the shelves in the livingroom. but like I said, I think im lacking some left and right sound in surround mode.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your AVR itself won't have issues driving anything. You've maxed out functionality...but you have no reason to upgrade the AVR till it craps the bed.

I wouldn't get rid off the current speakers till you've found suitable replacements. Depending where you are, you might look for some used to cut down on confusion as what to get. Can't buy what isn't there...

Besides, you can buy stuff cheap...re-sell it if you have to, then finally sell the KX if it comes to that.

how do you feel about paralleling some some paradigm mini monts on the front above the 212s? maybe mounting them up high angled down.
(this was kinda the main theory behind topic) .looking for a way to add the paradigms and keep the 212s without speaker switching.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Never run speakers that way. Series yes, parallel no.

Parallel halves ohm load. If you are playing music where both speakers dip to 5...you have 2.5...yikes.

Series doubles.

A speaker switch with Impedance Matching(Impedance Matching is a feature) effectively wires both ways.

in the car audio world of amps, you have to put atleast two speakers on 99% of the amps out there in order to bring them down to a 2 ohm load and get the actual power of the amp out of it. Most descent amps will handle a 1 ohm load. Ive ran a lot of good d class sub amps at .5 load (strictly for quick bass draws at competitions.
IM just assuming that home receivers are not like this? lol.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Car audio is based on juicing 12v circuits.

Home is 120(or more...depending where you are).

Therefore...home audio is based on bottom of 4ohm. Although Apogee made the Scintilla.

Scintalla ran down to .25 ohm. Yes...

.25 or 1/4 of an ohm.

It was nicknamed "The amp killer".

you ought to hear two dual 4ohm voicecoil 12s in a good mdf/fiberglassed ported box at 18 volts (2 golfcart batteries in series) pushed by 1 hd4000 amp.
shattered the backglass 1 time.lol

now 1 last question
my brd player has 8 preouts (surround back?).- what would be the easiest/economical way to utilize it? keep in mind tuner is only 5.1.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I used to have spun aluminum 15s in the trunk of a Taurus. First bass beat of AC/DC Back in Black would suck the trunklid closed if it was rested as far down as it would go(3 inches from closed).Run the products to a dedicated 2 channel amp with gain controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks