Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Warner Archives in 2014? Take A Shot!

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
452 replies to this topic

#21 of 453 OFFLINE   Jakerman1988

Jakerman1988

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 11:11 AM

I would like more TV series, as well as more movies/shorts.

#22 of 453 OFFLINE   mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 11:08 PM

Come on Warner Archives, I only need two of my "holy grail" shows to be completed......"KNOTS LANDING" (Seasons 3-14) and "THE DREW CAREY SHOW" (Seasons 2-9).......make 2014 the year it happens PLEASE!!!!

#23 of 453 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted January 03 2014 - 12:35 AM

Haven't really had much to guess at but one thing i feel stands a real good chance for release this year is more Jonny Quest. His 50th anniversary is this year. And given WA's use of comic con the last few years, i'd say it bodes well they might do a panel in regards to JQ this year. Given Space Stars and Captain Caveman got one on SDCC and there was an Alex Toth one at NYCC, it makes complete sense to do a JQ one this year.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#24 of 453 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 03:25 PM

I freely admit that I don't know the ins and outs of music rights but I don't understand why Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye are available on their streaming service but haven't yet been released for us on DVD. Should be look at this as a preview of upcoming releases on these or is it a different animal altogether? I'm curious.

As a side note, their "Best Of" releases of the 4 season of Hawaiian Eye had one interesting component. While Season 1 and 2 have only select episodes included, Season 3 is divided into 2 volumes and is complete season set.

#25 of 453 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 03:47 PM

When I was part of the promo for the WB streaming they didn't have but select episodes for both Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. My assumption was those one's were either cleared already or didn't have the major clearance issues associated with them. Have more been included since then?

What "Best Of" release? I've never seen a reference to this. Could you include a link?

#26 of 453 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 03 2014 - 04:48 PM

When I was part of the promo for the WB streaming they didn't have but select episodes for both Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. My assumption was those one's were either cleared already or didn't have the major clearance issues associated with them. Have more been included since then?

What "Best Of" release? I've never seen a reference to this. Could you include a link?

I haven't checked the streaming service in a couple of months but I believe it was only select episodes as of back in the fall. Something might have changed since then, though.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#27 of 453 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted January 03 2014 - 05:15 PM

He didn't mean a DVD release, just the Archive.  Here's the breakdown:

77 Sunset Strip:  Best of seasons 2&3 - 11 episodes, Best of season 4 - 28 episodes, Best of seasons 5&6 - 25 episodes

Hawaiian Eye:     Best of seasons 1&2 - 12 episodes, Best of season 4 - 18 episodes, season 3 - 31 episodes

#28 of 453 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 05:40 PM

He didn't mean a DVD release, just the Archive.  Here's the breakdown:

77 Sunset Strip:  Best of seasons 2&3 - 11 episodes, Best of season 4 - 28 episodes, Best of seasons 5&6 - 25 episodes

Hawaiian Eye:     Best of seasons 1&2 - 12 episodes, Best of season 4 - 18 episodes, season 3 - 31 episodes

Got it. I captured a select number of them (not all) but couldn't remember how many they included and from what seasons.

#29 of 453 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 06:43 PM

From a previous discussion, it was mentioned that 'streaming' may be lumped in with 'broadcasting', and as such, has different restrictions and rights than DVDs, which are considered purchasing.

I do not know if legally that is correct, but feels like a squirrelly, hair-splitting argument, so it might be right.

• Ron1973 likes this

#30 of 453 OFFLINE   Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 06:57 PM

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws but I really hope this is a precursor to a proper DVD release on these shows. I'm not big on 77 but Hawaiian Eye is definitely a grail show for me.

#31 of 453 OFFLINE   JMas

JMas

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 07:12 PM

My favorite of the WB detectives was the least successful of the 4 shows - Bourbon Street Beat, which lasted only one season with 39 episodes.  There were no music performances like there were in Surfside 6 and Hawaiian Eye, but there was background music played by the band at The Old Absinthe House.  I hope they can get this series cleared for release.

#32 of 453 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted January 03 2014 - 08:35 PM

From a previous discussion, it was mentioned that 'streaming' may be lumped in with 'broadcasting', and as such, has different restrictions and rights than DVDs, which are considered purchasing.

I do not know if legally that is correct, but feels like a squirrelly, hair-splitting argument, so it might be right.

Yes, a streaming channel or generic legal jumping would be the same rights as in to re-run it on a tv channel. To release something for DVD, Blu or digital download however is a very much different contract. Especially for those made before home media was really a thing, or was still very early on.

However i'd be curious if precedent is ever sent if streaming ever really puts cable and tv channels in the grave. Since while yes a stream is the basic principle to make it fall it line, but given it's practice model is slightly diferent, companies may start making changes to the typical formats to accommodate the new power. However i do wonder which one pays more on licenses.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#33 of 453 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 09:55 PM

Any news on the Shemp Vitaphone V2 shorts coming out?

#34 of 453 OFFLINE   Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 05:43 AM

I'd be very happy if they finished some of the stuff that has stalled. Let's have some more MARINE BOY and the remaining 65 episodes of THE CENTURIONS please. It's silly that all we've got on CENTURIONS is the first "mini-series" with the rest not released. I forget when that first appeared on Archive but it was some time ago. Even MARINE BOY first release was over six months ago IIRC

#35 of 453 OFFLINE   DSmith1984

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 06:32 AM

Would there be much of a chance that the remaining Flintstones shows would be released? As far as I know, all the TV specials and other related shows are out so the only things remaining in terms of original and not repackaged content would be The Flintstone Comedy Hour and The Flintstone Comedy Show. I'd also like to see the final few episodes of The Jetsons finished off with a Season 3 release since it's only 10 episodes.

Even more than the Flintstones and Jetsons, I'd love to see at least some of the remaining Popeye cartoons released. Both the theatrical shorts and television versions including the 1980's show. The name of it escapes me at the moment but I remember watching reruns of it on The Family Channel on Saturday mornings way back when. Even if it were through the MOD program, I really want to see the Popeye volume series from a few years ago restarted to finish off the Famous Studios theatrical cartoons.

I'd also like to see some sort of release of Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy but that's evidently rather obscure even among the obscure crowd.

#36 of 453 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 11:58 AM

The Famous Studio theatricals are on track for mass retail in 2015. There's a new Popeye movie coming out and Warner intends to use the Famous shorts as a tie-in. This is per George Feltenstein on the latest podcast.

Jerry Beck threw some hints about the Archive handling an MGM Tex Avery set in 2014. We can only hope that it's not subjected to the same limbo as Huckleberry Hound.

I'd also like to see some sort of release of Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy but that's evidently rather obscure even among the obscure crowd.

The whole Quick Draw McGraw program (which Augie Doggie was a part of) is mired in music rights issues over the stock music used. Who knows what, if any progress WAC has made in resolving that, or if they're just going to dump it onto the streaming service.

#37 of 453 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 01:20 PM

The whole Quick Draw McGraw program (which Augie Doggie was a part of) is mired in music rights issues over the stock music used. Who knows what, if any progress WAC has made in resolving that, or if they're just going to dump it onto the streaming service.

Has Quick Draw shown up on Boomerang?  I wonder if they can even stream it.

#38 of 453 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted January 04 2014 - 06:31 PM

I can think of several WB/MGM shows as possibilities out of the 1960s.

No Time For Sergeants

Wendy and Me

Hank

Many Happy Returns

Mister Roberts

The Rounders

Maya

I have seen "The Rounders" on TNT some 20 years ago,  so it could be a logical choice because there are remasters on hand, and the same thing for "Wendy And Me", so I gave it my best shot right here!

#39 of 453 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 05 2014 - 10:46 AM

Has Quick Draw shown up on Boomerang?  I wonder if they can even stream it.

Joe, I believe Boomerang did show it, though I wouldn't say with 100% certainty. When the kids were smaller and Boomerang was still showing older material, I used to watch it with them. I'm 95% sure it was shown on there.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#40 of 453 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted January 05 2014 - 10:58 AM

Joe, I believe Boomerang did show it, though I wouldn't say with 100% certainty. When the kids were smaller and Boomerang was still showing older material, I used to watch it with them. I'm 95% sure it was shown on there.

I grabbed a bunch of the early cartoons off there that don't seem to be coming out: Quick Draw McGraw, Peter Potamus, Lippy the Lion, Touche Turtle, Wally Gator, Ruff & Ready, the rest of Huckleberry Hound.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users