What's new

Next Gen Samsung HDTV's announced at CEDIA '14 -- Would you buy it? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
CEDIA is where most manufacturers announce products that will ship in the summer or fall of that year. Sometimes there are really cool things that disrupt the marketplace, then there are things that are of incremental value followed by things that have minimal impact on the industry.

Samsung has sort of pre-announced what they will be showing as their next-gen smart TV. What would that entail? Well it will be a smart TV with a touch screen that with single gesture swipes for interaction along with voice recognition. The figure gesture would allow users to change channels, adjust volume or search and select a program. The voice recognition would basically be able to do the same thing.

No, if the XBox One is any indication of "great" voice recognition, I think I will stick with my remote control. Given that XBox was using the voice recognition IQ from their acquisition of TellMe years ago, one would think they would have the technological jump on competitors.

In regards to touch, IMO, that really only works for tablets. I HATE touch on W8 notebooks and I can't imagine consistent smudge marks on my 65" or larger TV set.

This whole touch thing reminds me of the "old days", before remote control, when one had to get up to change the channel and volume. Wasn't that "touch"?! People loved the remote control. I don't see how this will be any different....

I wish the manufacturers would focus on picture quality instead of features that are not increasing the purpose of the device in the first place --- to watch video content!

Opinions?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Wow, this just cant be right. A touch screen TV? My display screens are sacred ground that are not to be touched, ever. I dont even like touch screen cell phones but I use one because I have no choice. I dont even clean my screens until its absolutely necessary, I just cant imagine creating a feature that supports and promotes finger prints on a large display. Way to think outside the box Samsung.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Kevin Collins said:
".....I wish the manufacturers would focus on picture quality instead of features that are not increasing the purpose of the device in the first place --- to watch video content!....."

It's my observation that the majority of mass market consumers care more about how many features a TV has than superior image fidelity. Popular trends are more important to many manufacturers and retailers than fundamental viewing quality. Videophiles are in the meager minority. The average customer today is more moved by what is considered "cool" than actual performance. Check the latest headlines for regular proof of that.

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." H. L. Mencken

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's my observation that the majority of mass market consumers care more about how many features a TV has than superior image fidelity.
So true, it's been that way about convenience/features over performance quality since the beginning of the video age.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not just in CE...

Member of various Miata, Subaru, tractor and British car forums...

It is appalling the cars we get here vs Europe. Subaru especially. Hell, even Canada gets a Subaru X-Mode* that we don't get here cause "Americans won't pay for the feature...they just want cheap cars."

*X-Mode is only available in Subaru's sold in states that border Canada...except the Forester. They will have the feature regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks