What's new

What Blu-rays did you receive for the Holidays? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
bluray_xmas_tree.jpg
Now that the gift giving holidays are over, we would like to hear from our members and find out what shiny new Blu-rays they received for Christmas.​
If you are like me, who has every title they want and actually gave Blu-rays as gifts, you may certainly list those as well.​
( image source: http://www.dvice.com )​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I didn't receive any Blu-rays. I have most everything at this point.

However, I gave several friends copies of one of my favorite Christmas films, Love Actually.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got some discs of films I love but hadn't yet bought for myself: Terms of Endearment, The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Bells of St. Mary's, Greystoke.

I gave myself The Croods in 3D since I was only sent the 2D version to review. (I gave that review copy to a friend's daughter.) DreamWorks always has the best 3D animation of the major American studios, so I didn't want to miss this one.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Was bummed I didn't get any Blus as gifts, but my boys got some that we'll all watch together: Despicable Me 1&2, How to Train your Dragon, and The Wizard of Oz, and I got my wife Life of Pi.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
We all got many other kinds of presents for Christmas, but as always, there was an assortment of Blu-rays under the tree. Let's see...I got Betty Boop volumes 1 & 2 from my kids.I gave out several Blu-rays. I gave my wife Justified Season 4. Santa gave us both seasons 1-3 of Boardwalk Empire. (Hope we enjoy this) We gave our son an assortment of anime TV (Shiki parts 1 & 2) and some old favorites of his: Ninga Turtles Trilogy, the Matrix Trilogy as well as Django Unchained and Avatar. My daughter and son both got the triple feature set of The Goonies, Gremlins & Gremlins 2.My brother and sister both got the Benhur and Ten Commandments two pack.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My GF got me the Qatsi Blu so she could give her brother(who is overseas serving the country) my DVDs of same. (over there they are lucky to have portable DVD players where he is)

We got each other several French Noir and Russian. (we share the same Amazon, Ebay and others...so nothing was shocking...)

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I gave myself:

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
The Mummy ('59)
Les Parapluies de Cherbourg
Les Demoiselles de Rochefort
The Black Swan ('42)
The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec [Director's Cut]
Zazie dans le Metro
Carry On Screaming
The Fury (Arrow)
Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush
Set of Three Belmondo Films: Les Tribulations d'un Chinois en Chine + L'homme de Rio + Le Magnifique
Set of Two Tintin Films: Tintin et les Oranges Bleues + Tintin et le Mystère de la Toison d'or
Le Cerveau
Limited Edition: Le Roi et l'Oiseau

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I always have a wish list of BD's yet to purchase, so I put a few on my Christmas list. I ended up getting The Odd Couple and Weird Science. Also received The Beatles music CD On Air -- Live at the BBC Volume 2.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Didn't receive any BD's for Christmas, as my library is so extensive that my family and friends know better than to try to buy for me...however, I gave away as holiday gifts copies of the 50th Anniversary Edition of "Mary Poppins" blu-ray/DVD combination package over the past 2 weeks...the smiles on the recipients' faces were more than enough holiday satisfaction for me!!! :D

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
I received many BD's from my Wife,Niece and Nephew my Sister and brother in law :)

[*]Sherlock seasons 1 and 2
[*]Man of Steel
[*]The Duellists
[*]From Here to Eternity
[*]Desk Set
[*]Lincoln
[*]White House Down
[*]Alien Anthology
[*]Pacific Rim
[*]Harry Potter complete 8 movies
[/list]
I will be a busy lad this winter.
Cheers

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I received :

La Boheme - the film version with Anna Netrebko and Rolando Villazon
Caro Emerald in Concert
The Brides of Dracula
The Mummy's Shroud
Funny Face
House of Cards - Ian Richardson
Frozen Planet - BBC
NASA's Greatest Missions
Now You See Me

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
No one gets me Blu-ray's or any electronics for that matter. They know that I am on top of it. Safer presents are clothes, books, and incidentals.

I bought about 50 Blu-ray's (or sets) for presents. Biggest item was 5 copies of Mary Poppins.

Most interesting gift was Tokyo Story for my older son. He has an MFA in film and I thought he should see it. Probably the best film I saw (for the first time) in 2013. He retaliated with a book about queer culture in the media, claiming that I liked edgy things and this would fit.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
While I didn't get any on Christmas Day, I did get some extra money and a gift card from B&N in addition to three Universal Vault Series titles - Tillie and Gus, China, & Little Man, What Now?

So, for me, Christmas hasn't really ended yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks