What's new

Help with projector and Screen (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Swaroop
Last year I got a good HT sound system with the help of this forum. Now I am planning to add a projector and screen to my home theater.

I need help to choose a good projector.
1. Price below 1000$
2. Should support 1080p with 3D option
3. Short throw, because in my setup I can have about 6-8 feet distance between screen and projector
4. Viewing distance, about 10-12 feet
5. Screen size 120 Inch,

Is 140 Inch screen a possibility with the above specs?

This is what I have in my mind
BenQ W1080ST 1080p 3D Short Throw DLP Home Theater Projector

Also I am planning to build the screen myself. Please point me to some good online source which explains DIY projector screens.

Thanks,
Swaroop

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
According to Projectorcentral, that's the only one that will work, so great choice.With your viewing distance, even 120" diagonal is too large.

Real Name
Swaroop
Thanks everyone for you replies. I have few more questions.

1. Sam, do you have other suggestions? Looks like you are wanting to suggest LCD projector? If so which one?
2. I want to do fabric screen, what is AT?
3. Peter, those are way too many options fo go though. Can you please simplify it for me?
4. Is this a good material for screen
http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Blackout-Projector-Material-66x110-inch/dp/B007KA07YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387502481&sr=8-1&keywords=diy+projector+screen

5. Does the procjector have to be at a certain height? because I need to put it on a table, I cannot mount it on ceiling.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
swaroopchanda said:
Thanks everyone for you replies. I have few more questions.

1. Sam, do you have other suggestions? Looks like you are wanting to suggest LCD projector? If so which one?
I loath LCD. Jim was being facetious..
2. I want to do fabric screen, what is AT?
Acoustically Transparent. Meaning you place your speakers behind the screen in their correct locations. But...you lose some luminance. Considering the projector you chose...and your distance. Not a problem. Moire might be though(you can get fabric samples to try a traditional screen and AT)
3. Peter, those are way too many options fo go though. Can you please simplify it for me?
Since you've already chosen fabric...it is a moot point. However, are you doing fixed? Want it to "move out of the way"?
4. Is this a good material for screen
http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Blackout-Projector-Material-66x110-inch/dp/B007KA07YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387502481&sr=8-1&keywords=diy+projector+screen

5. Does the procjector have to be at a certain height? because I need to put it on a table, I cannot mount it on ceiling.
Short Throw are meant to be used either way.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the elite AT stuff that I have seen has been pure crap (by any standard...except price).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gregg Loewen said:
the elite AT stuff that I have seen has been pure crap (by any standard...except price).
I've never seen any Elite/Mustang in person. I was going by(on here)..."I've got an Elite and love it".It is, at least, woven. I just had another client take delivery of a ClearPix. The installer didn't want to use it cause "we never know when they show up".To wit, "So my install is on your schedule?" (Love clients able to put a foot down)

Real Name
Swaroop
I donot need AT, as the speakers will not be behind the screen. The screen is going to be fixed to a wall. May be I will go with the one I have already choosen. I am trying to keep total screen construction cost to be under $100. So please suggest if you know better than this
http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Blackout-Projector-Material-66x110-inch/dp/B007KA07YM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387590213&sr=1-1&keywords=DIY+Projector+Screen

In my HT setup I will have my Receiver sitting near screen. So I will have to run HDMI cable from receiver to projector. I don't want to do this. Does Benq have wireless version. Or, can I get wireless HDMI from somewhere else?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wireless HDMI is another animal. There is no "best". There is "works better than others in your situation".Some are pure wireless(which work through walls) and wireless that need line of sight.Line of sight ALWAYS work better. but is your install going to allow that?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you thought of an RF remote with IR blasters? Then your avr/sources can go on the back wall with the projector.Wireless HDMI and RF/IR blaster are about the same cost.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Ive personally used Belkin 4/1 wireless HDMI (works most of the time...with some hand shake issues) and also the Oppo wireless HDMI, which is much more solid.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just realized your projector is going on a table. You shouldn't have any issues. However. You have to run power to where your projector is. Unless your power plug is in the floor, it is going across the floor from the wall(meaning run a HDMI with the cord).

Real Name
Swaroop
In BenQ 1080ST/1070 product details, HDMI description says HDMI Blu-Ray. Does it mean I need special HDMI cable or a specific HDMI source?

I have Onkyo TX-NR616. I connected its HDMI output to HDMI 1 of BenQ 1080ST. I connected one of the HDMI input of Onkyo with Sony 3D bluray player and another HDMI input of Onkyo with my Laptop HMDI.

When I make receiver choose Sony player as source Benq is able to display fine, but when I choose laptop HDMI as the source I do not see anything being displayed. Am I doing anything wrong?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In your laptop(which is?)...

Depends on the drivers it has. And the specific manufacturer implementation of those drivers(and are they updated? Driver update for this is NOT part of regular "windows update").

Have you done anything wrong? No.

You just haven't done "everything".

Real Name
Swaroop
My Laptop is Lenovo G460, model#0677
I will try to update drivers and see if it works.

In theory I can connect any kind of HDMI source to my receiver (like Roku, google chromecast etc) and BenQ projector should not have any problem. Is that Correct?

Update:
I could not find how to update HDMI driver. Can you help me with that?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Correct. Your laptop can be set up...1. Extended display.2. Mirror3. Replacement(outside display darkens laptop)4. "Exterior ignored till selected"

If you have Intel GMA, they are notoriously behind the times. In my HP I had to go into Intel GMA to set it up before ever connecting an HDMI. On the Acer(same drivers) it went straight into set up when I connected an HDMI.

Not sure how Lenovo(IBM) does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks