Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Announcement: An American Tail (Blu-ray)

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,819 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 07:56 AM

Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 3/4/2014

AN AMERICAN TAIL

Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 11/21/1986
Synopsis: From Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment comes the story of a courageous little mouse named Fievel, one of the most endearing animated characters ever created. Journeying by ship from Russia to turn-of-the-century America, Fievel is lost at sea during a ferocious storm. Washing ashore in New York Harbor, Fievel braves the perils and wonders of a strange new world in a thrilling quest to find his family. Filled with humor, adventure and action, this heartwarming tale is fun for the entire family!

Blu-ray Widescreen (61130855) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  Blu-ray  UPC:  0-2519-22241-6-4
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  1
 Street Date:  3/4/2014  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  1 Hour 21 Minutes    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  BD-50 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French European DTS Digital Surround 5.1
Spanish DTS Digital Surround 5.1

Subtitles:  English SDH
French
Spanish

Edition:  -  Picture:  Widescreen
 Version:  Blu-ray + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  G  CARA Rating:  -
 Bonus Features:  • Digital Copy of An American Tail (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.)
• Includes UltraViolet (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.)
• Somewhere Out There Sing-Along
• Theatrical Trailer

DVD Full Frame (61024498) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  DVD  UPC:  0-2519-24498-2-6
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  -
 Street Date:  9/25/2011  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  1 Hour 21 Minutes    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  DVD-9 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
English DTS Digital Surround 5.1
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

Subtitles:  English SDH
French
Spanish

Edition:  -  Picture:  Full Frame
 Version:  -  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  G  CARA Rating:  -
 Bonus Features:  • How Do I Find Things?
• Fievel and Tiger's Duo Dance Game
• Counting with Digit Game
• Rewease the Secwet Weapon Game
• "Somewhere Out There" Sing-Along Song
• Theatrical Trailer

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,819 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 08:03 AM

Now Available for Preroder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 14 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 08:37 AM

I don't believe there was ever a widescreen release of this on DVD in the U.S., so I'm really eager to revisit it!

#4 of 14 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Second Unit

• 445 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted December 19 2013 - 01:38 PM

The 5.1 dvd audio track was re-dubbed in several spots (including the over-dubbing of the "orphans.") I hope this is a new mix because if it isn't the original I will not buy this unfortunately.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#5 of 14 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted December 19 2013 - 08:20 PM

Glad to have more Don Bluth animation on Blu-ray. It looks like they are mastering the Blu-ray in widescreen but the accompanying DVD will be a re-pressing of the full frame DVD which I believe to be open-matte.

#6 of 14 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm a little surprised they didn't do a double with AMERICAN TAIL 2: FIEVEL GOES WEST, as both movies are very short and I don't think they'll be including much for bonus materials. In fact, they could even add LAND BEFORE TIME as a third feature on a single Blu-ray disc. Oh, well, they could have put both BABE movies on one disc also, but chose to split them up.

#7 of 14 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,505 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 21 2013 - 06:20 PM

I will interested in seeing the reviews for this. It's a Universal Blu so I an cautious, but I really want this film. Hope Universal does this right. They have a lot of titles announced and I have high hopes for many if them.

#8 of 14 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,456 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 02:47 PM

Has anyone gotten this yet? I've been reading on other forums that the audio is still the altered 5.1 mix from the DVD that so many complained about.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#9 of 14 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 25 2014 - 02:57 PM

Has anyone gotten this yet? I've been reading on other forums that the audio is still the altered 5.1 mix from the DVD that everyone complained about. Yet, the version that's been showing on TV recently has the original sound mix.

I've got it. Altered how? The Blu-ray has DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Are you saying the new mix has different sound effects / instrumentation or is the complaint just that it's a 5.1 remix and not the original Dolby surround 2.0? Because there are loads of Dolby movies that have been remixed into 5.1 and most people do not consider that to be a bad thing.

#10 of 14 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,456 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 03:22 PM

There is additional dialogue in several places, but it is most noticeable when Fievel meets the other orphans. Two of them have completely different voices:

This is just speculation, but a poster on another board has suggested that when the new 5.1 remix was being prepared, the dialogue stem used may have included some lines that were originally dialed out or redubbed for the final mix, but have now mistakenly been restored. (Off-topic, but it's probably what happened on The Dark Crystal, as well.)

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#11 of 14 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 03:24 PM

I will interested in seeing the reviews for this. It's a Universal Blu so I an cautious, but I really want this film. Hope Universal does this right. They have a lot of titles announced and I have high hopes for many if them.

One reason for hope it will turn out well: Executive Producer of film is Spielberg.

#12 of 14 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 25 2014 - 07:23 PM

There is additional dialogue in several places, but it is most noticeable when Fievel meets the other orphans. Two of them have completely different voices:

This is just speculation, but a poster on another board has suggested that when the new 5.1 remix was being prepared, the dialogue stem used may have included some lines that were originally dialed out or redubbed for the final mix, but have now mistakenly been restored. (Off-topic, but it's probably what happened on The Dark Crystal, as well.)

Honestly, listening to that youtube video, I can tell any differences in the voices, other than the first example is muffled and the second example is crystal clear.

#13 of 14 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Second Unit

• 445 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted March 26 2014 - 08:43 AM

Wow, it went from "You're one of us now" to "You're nothin'. You're trash!" Man, I wish stuff like this didn't happen. I want to experience the film I saw in 1986.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#14 of 14 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,456 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 03:49 PM

Honestly, listening to that youtube video, I can tell any differences in the voices, other than the first example is muffled and the second example is crystal clear.

The one in the glasses is the same, but the other two are very obviously actual children's voices in the first clip, while in the second they are adult voices.

Things like this are frustrating, because they seem like such small issues to complain about, but it really is the principle of the thing. The filmmakers made a conscious decision to remove/replace these lines back when they were finishing the movie, and now they've been added back in, most likely due to simple carelessness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users