Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Mayberry R.F.D: The Complete First Season

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,096 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 10:46 AM

For the First Time on DVD

Mayberry R.F.D.:

The Complete First Season

Take a Leisurely Spin Down Memory Lane With All 26 Season One Episodes of the Heartwarming Classic TV Series that Celebrates Family Values, Neighborly Ways, and Country Living!

Bringin' a Lil' Small Town to Your Small Screen on April 8, 2014

BURBANK, CA (December 17, 2013) – The classic continuation of The Andy Griffith Show comes to DVD for the very first time, as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group releases MayberryR.F.D.: The Complete First Season onto DVD April 8, 2014. Starring Ken Berry (F-TroopMama’s Family) alongside Francis Bavier (Aunt Bee) and George Lindsey (Goober Pyle) from The Andy Griffith Show, this four-disc set includes all 26 half-hour episodes from the first season of this uplifting series. Mayberry R.F.D.: The Complete First Season is priced to own on DVD at $29.98 SRP.

Imagine a world with no cell phones, no internet, and no rock ‘n’ roll. It’s not science fiction…it’s Mayberry R.F.D.! This 1968 spinoff of the popular series The Andy Griffith Show stars Ken Berry as widowed farmer Sam Jones, who’s raising his son Mike (Buddy Foster) with the help of their outspoken, headstrong, and lovable housekeeper, Aunt Bee. Add to the mix Sam’s girlfriend Millie (Arlene Golonka), good-natured Goober, County Clerk Howard, and fix-it man Emmett, and you’ve got a charming, laugh-filled slice of American small-town life!

26 HALF-HOUR EPISODES

1. Andy and Helen Get Married

2. The Harvest Ball

3. The Race Horse

4. Help on the Farm

5. The Copy Machine

6. The Panel Show

7. Youth Takes Over

8. The Church Play

9. Mike’s Losing Streak

10. Sam Gets a Ticket

11. Emmett’s 50th Birthday

12. Miss Farmette

13. Sam and the Teenager

14. New Couple in Town

15. Aunt Bee’s Cruise

16. Aunt Bee and the Captain

17. Driver Education

18. Howard’s Hobby

19. The Camper

20. Sam the Expert Farmer

21. The Pet Shop

22. An Efficient Service Station

23. Emmett’s Retirement

24. Millie’s Girlfriend

25. The Church Bell

26. Sister Cities

BASICS

$29.98 SRP / No MAP

Street Date: April 8, 2014

Language:  English (5.1)

4 DVD-9s

Subtitles: English & French

Run Time: Approximately 780 minutes

DVD Catalog # 1000440690

UPC # 883929380428

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted April 07 2014 - 10:04 PM

Got mine today - awesome quality.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 612 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 09:32 AM

Glad to hear that - mine is supposed to be coming later today.

Thanks for the report, John.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 11:44 AM

I just placed my order for this today.  I have some fuzzy memories of watching this in reruns back in the 70s.  I'm sure it'll all seem new to me now.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hoping it does well in sales where we'll be getting the last 2 seasons of the show in a year's time.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   topanga

topanga

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 09:41 AM

To all those who have gotten their copies of Mayberry, RFD I need you to help me with this.

On Disc 3 as I am watching some of the shows I can hear some slight audio of talking/chattering.  It doesn't seem to belong in the show.  It sounds to me as if these discs had something on it already and other audio is bleeding through, or something else is going on here.  This is first time I have ever experienced something like this.  I know I am not going crazy.

I first noticed it on "Emmitt's Retirement," the second episode on this disc.   You can really hear it in the scene about 20 minutes in where Sam and the others are fixing a typewriter.

I've also checked the first and third episodes on this disc and heard it slightly on and off. 

Could you let me know if anybody else here can hear what I'm hearing.

Thanks

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 11:30 AM

To all those who have gotten their copies of Mayberry, RFD I need you to help me with this.

On Disc 3 as I am watching some of the shows I can hear some slight audio of talking/chattering.  It doesn't seem to belong in the show.  It sounds to me as if these discs had something on it already and other audio is bleeding through, or something else is going on here.  This is first time I have ever experienced something like this.  I know I am not going crazy.

I first noticed it on "Emmitt's Retirement," the second episode on this disc.   You can really hear it in the scene about 20 minutes in where Sam and the others are fixing a typewriter.

I've also checked the first and third episodes on this disc and heard it slightly on and off. 

Could you let me know if anybody else here can hear what I'm hearing.

Thanks

Emmett's Retirement is on disc 4--not disc 3. I did a spot check on the scene in question. At first, I didn't hear anything, but yes, I did eventually hear some chattering. It is very low. I don't know if I would have noticed it unless you told me, but it's there.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   topanga

topanga

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 08:41 PM

Ron, thanks for confirming what I heard and glad to know it just wasn't my dvd.  I haven't gone through much of the other discs, but I did catch a little of the same chattering on Disc 1 on episodes "Help On Farm" and "The Copy Machine."  Although they were not as obvious as on Disc4.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 07:24 PM

I often hear this in tv shows and movies that may have been out of circulation for years -- in scenes when someone is yelling, you may hear a slight echo of that same yelling 2 or 3 seconds earlier -- one can barely hear it, but it's there, and not only on shows or films shot on video tape.

Don't know what it is, but always thought it was curious. I too have the "Mayberry RFD" set coming down here by mail and look very much to it -- this show certainly has been out of action for many years and maybe the show's original materials after 45 years are showing (and sounding) their age.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted April 19 2014 - 11:47 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Coming from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment I was surprised (and delighted) to discover that the video source elements were generally good on this (likely upgraded or retained for tv syndication telecasts).  If it had come out on DVD-R I definitely wouldn't have supported it.

I was surprised to see that Andy Griffith make a few token appearances in a few episodes after the series debut (I always though that after his wedding Sheriff Taylor moved away somewhere else to begin life anew) but frankly he comes off as being obtrusive and I was glad to seen him phased out allowing the "new" group to handle their own show.  Ken Berry does a satisfactory job as the series lead (and only "normal" character) and Andy just isn't needed here (as he sensibly must have realized).  Credit has to be given in that the impossible was achieved as the show successfully carried on beyond THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68).

It would have been nice if Don Knotts and Jim Nabors had made an occasional guest appearance but this would never happen.

The history books say that MAYBERRY RFD (CBS 1968-71) was cancelled as part of a generally phasing out of "rural" tv shows on the CBS Television Network but I think the main reason was the departure of Frances Bavier (aka Aunt Bea) the last remaining founding cast member from the original series whose substantial presence always contributed so much.  Alice Ghostley was a terrible substitute (as she was when previously replacing Marion Lorne on BEWITCHED) and CBS likely bitterly realized that it could only be downhill from then on without Ms. Bavier (indeed while still reasonably respectable the tv audience  ratings did substantially drop for the third season).  It's really too bad as the show lost its loving "family" format and it would have been great if she had remained for at least all three seasons.

While watching the DVDs I realized MAYBERRY RFD debuted the same season (1968-69) as LAND OF THE GIANTS (ABC 1968-70).  I still have a copy of the TV GUIDE 1968 Fall Preview issue.  Indeed MAYBERRY RFD cast member Buddy Foster would make a guest appearance in the GIANTS episode "Rescue" (23/03/1969) during this selfsame season! 

Now the struggle is get the two remaining seasons out on DVD (and from my part there is no immediacy on this).  I certainly hope that THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW enthusiasts rally to this classic tv series DVD release.  There is no reason for them not to!

:D

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 08:56 PM

So I take it from the above post, that a fan of TAGS would enjoy this??

I have a friend that is a huge fan of TAGS and I was considering getting this for him as a gift. 

So do you vote 'yay' or 'nay' on that??

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 10:30 PM

Bret, I say go for it and let your friend know this is like a Season 9 of The Andy Griffith Show and he should like it overall.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted May 04 2014 - 04:32 AM

The picture quality on this release is very nice.  I'd think that most AGS fans would like this one too.  It's VERY low-key, but the familiar characters are like spending time with old friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users