What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Joanna (UK Release) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The British Film Institute has put their money where their heart is, and continues to release films that should be seen, but will not be released on Blu-ray by large publishers.

Such is the case with Michael Sarne's Joanna, which I first saw at a screening at Fox in New York in 1968. It's a quirky, mod film of the era that, while a bit odd, has character and charm. Part of that charm comes from Joanna herself, played by former model Genevieve Waite. When she's on screen the picture sparkles. To me, at first glance, I felt that I was seeing a cross between Lucille Ball and Rainbeaux (Cheryl) Smith.

Photographed by Walter Lassally (Tom Jones), and with the poetic music of the era by Rod McKuen, the film is unique in many ways. The final musical number, breaking the fourth wall at a railway station, is a hoot.

The image appears to be derived from a print or low-con, and has occasional wear, but nothing problematic. The audio likewise, sounds to be from an optical source, but one can never be certain.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 3/5

Recommended.

RAH

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I bet you feel like a kid in a candy store, being able to buy/watch Region B.I was going to add this to the Region B thread(I like to do themes, and spinning this with others is tough)...but happy you covered it.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Insanely obscure releases are more common from the BFI. Returns don't matter as much, their service to film preservation is a bit more lofty than other labels. Text from the BFI Royal Charter:

ELIZABETH THE SECOND by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Our other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith:
TO ALL TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS SHALL COME, GREETING!

WHEREAS it has been represented unto Us that it is expedient that We should be graciously pleased to grant a Charter of Incorporation to the unincorporated organisation founded in the year of our Lord One thousand nine hundred and eighty-three and formed to succeed The British Film Institute (a company incorporated under the Companies Act 1948 limited by Guarantee and not having a share capital) (hereinafter called "the Company"): NOW THEREFORE KNOW YE THAT WE, by virtue of Our Prerogative Royal and of all other powers enabling Us in that behalf have granted and ordained and do by these Presents for Us, Our Heirs and Successors, grant and ordain as follows:

[...]

2. The objects of the Institute shall be to encourage the development of the arts of film, television and the moving image throughout Our United Kingdom, to promote their use as a record of contemporary life and manners, to promote education about film, television and the moving image generally, and their impact on society, to promote access to and appreciation of the widest possible range of British and world cinema and to establish, care for and develop collections reflecting the moving image history and heritage of Our United Kingdom.

[...]

(i) the Institute is established for charitable purposes only and its property and income shall be held and applied for those purposes only and the objects and powers of the Institute shall be construed as limited by the foregoing terms of this proviso;

[...]

3.(a) All moneys and property however received by the Institute, including all moneys voted by Our United Kingdom Parliament, shall be applied solely towards the promotion of the objects of the Institute and no portion thereof (except as otherwise provided in this Our Charter) shall be paid or applied directly or indirectly to the Members.

The public provide £20m every year in funding, something I'm more than happy to do!

Ignatius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hayden Frost
The second-to-last page of the accompanying booklet should say exactly which elements were used for both image and audio, along with how they were transferred. Glad you finally have the opportunity to dip into some of the BFI Flipside releases, they're the ones I look forward to more than almost anything else these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks