• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 07:40 PM

I remember at the Oscars where he got a lifetime achievement oscar (ie. we snubbed you in the past but we think you're going to die soon) it was in the thick of the Iraq war (it may have been the same show where Michael Moore did his thing) he gave a very classy speech which appreciated the USA. Thought it was very cool. RIP
  • Sam Posten likes this
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#22 of 26 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted December 15 2013 - 08:20 PM

thank you for your amazing talent, the loss of an actual screen legend, rest in peace, and prayers for his family  

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#23 of 26 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,536 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 16 2013 - 09:51 AM

The terms "great" and "legend" are sometimes used too frivolously in our society. The words are definitely warranted in this case, though.

RIP, Mr. O'Toole.

#24 of 26 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,662 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 02:08 PM

For me, my all-time favorite role by Peter O'Toole was his role as Alan Swann in "My Favorite Year". I first saw it on TCM when I was 19 years old, and I enjoyed it. O'Toole gave a hilarious performance, yet it was sad at times as well, particularly when Swann looked at his young daughter from a distance, afraid to speak to her. It's too bad that O'Toole never won a competitive Oscar...At least they were able to give him an honorary one.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

On a related note, one Christmas Eve at a cousin's house, we were watching "Jeopardy", and there was a question about "My Favorite Year". I answered it. I believe it was related to the line "I'm not an actor...I'm a movie star!".

Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#25 of 26 OFFLINE   Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 16 2013 - 02:52 PM

Without wishing to be mean spirited but in the interests of accuracy, whoever wrote 'Often called the Hamlet of his generation,' knows not of what he speaks.

This forum is concerned with films but this quote reveals the writer's ignorance of the stage.

Peter O'Toole had a major stage reputation, both before & after his film career began.  His work for the early RSC, including SHYLOCK, was received with awe. His reputation was developing as one of the first new leading actors in Peter Hall's company, following his initial impact at The Bristol Old Vic, when he became for some years primarily a film actor.

He played Hamlet in the opening production of The National Theatre, 50 years ago, between filming LOA & LORD JIM. It was an unhappy experience for all involved, especially for his director Sir Lawrence Olivier, and Mr O'Toole's life style was not helpful. There were less than two dozen performances and he never returned to the NT.

So with all due respect to Peter O'Toole he was most certainly not the HAMLET of his or anybody else's generation.

• FoxyMulder likes this
Malcolm Blackmoor

#26 of 26 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted December 16 2013 - 10:02 PM

Ah, well, we can't all be lion tamers.

• FoxyMulder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users