What's new

De Palma's Phantom of the Paradise is coming from Scream Factory (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Good news!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=370316629772021&set=a.130215417115478.24939.103961936407493&type=1
BREAKING: NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR 2014!We're thrilled to report today that we are planning to release Brian DePalma's classic 1974 film PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE sometime in the later half of the Summer!This marks the first time the film will be on blu-ray for the first time in the U.S. and Canada. Expect this to be in the "Collector's Edition" series with new extras but we have no other details to report at this time as our deal for this was literally just signed so stay tuned here in the Spring of next year for more info to emerge.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My favourite De Palma film, I have the French Blu-ray & may buy the Arrow release for the extras. I always thought it would make a good stage show, but it never happened.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
This is great news! This is one of my favorites as well. When I saw it in 1974 it had 4-track mag sound with fantastic separation in the split-screen scenes and wonderful ambiance in the concert sequences; a version I have not seen since. I wonder if those tracks still exist.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Best news of the day! I hope SHout/Scream can get some more of the De Palma films!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
The "original" record label in the movie was called "Swan Song" (it became Death Records). I believe some scenes were hastily re-edited/framed, superimposed etc to hide the original logo. Perhaps they could release the film with the original Swan Song logos intact?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I doubt it, since there were opticals involved in removing the Swan Song logo, and I doubt that Led Zeppelin would allow it, since a cease-and-desist was the original reason for removing the logos.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
LOVE this film. Very funny and a great score! A definite purchase for me, barring any bad news on the transfer front.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Prob my second fav after Body Double.

Yeah, if it's a true upgrade from the DVD I'll be on it. Haven't seen the film in way too long. Like 2 years... it's on the shelf still from October, didn't watch it this year. :(

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Hi Roger,Where did you see this in 4-track stereo ,wedid not as far as i know have any in londonin 1974.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm all in! Now, here's hoping SISTERS will come out from Criterion or Shout!, which would fill in the final gap in my wanted De Palma Blu-ray titles (I have OBSESSION from the UK).

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Roger Grodsky said:
This is great news! This is one of my favorites as well. When I saw it in 1974 it had 4-track mag sound with fantastic separation in the split-screen scenes and wonderful ambiance in the concert sequences; a version I have not seen since. I wonder if those tracks still exist.
This is one of the very few films I ran in-4-track MAG. STEREO @ The TOWER Theatre in Balto. City!

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny you should say that. I can't remember another stereo movie being shown in the theater I saw it in. They probably had it installed for "The Robe" and never used it again! I wonder why so many mag prints were struck?

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Scroll down to the January 16th post from the archivist:http://www.swanarchives.org/News.aspI am SO excited about this! I want to thank the archivist for:1) His site, which rocks!2) His work to bring us the definitive home video release of Phantom. Between POTP, Twin Peaks, and the 1966 Batman series, 2014 is going to be one exciting year for this home theater enhusiast!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks