What's new

Mayberry R.F.D. - Season 1 on Pressed DVD in April (1 Viewer)

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Season 1 of Mayberry R.F.D. is coming from Warner on pressed DVDs in April. https://classicflix.com/Mayberry-RFD-Season-1-in-April-an-30975.html

mayberryrfd.jpg

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I hope they get a chance to interview Ken Berry for some extras. And Aunt Bee's expression on that cover is priceless!

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
Ethan Riley said:
I hope they get a chance to interview Ken Berry for some extras. And Aunt Bee's expression on that cover is priceless!
It's turned out to be a big year for Ken Berry - first Mama's Family coming out on DVD and now Mayberry. It's great that such a talented and vastly underrated actor is finally getting his due. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for bonus features. Remember Warner's atrocious season 1 release of Mama's Family from several years ago - no interviews or bonus features of any kind plus edited episodes to boot.

As for Aunt Bee's expression - maybe Floyd the Barber was copping a feel...

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Sitcoms (generally) are really not my forte and I don't ever want to be accused of being a "tv addict" but in the context of being an extension of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68) this particular continuation of the Mayberry, N.C. mythos has fascination for myself. Mostly because of the ensemble group of actors involved.

Apart from the debut episode with Andy Griffith and Don Knotts I really have no recollection of this show whatsoever and it will definitely be a refreshing new experience.

First off I am (naturally) delighted that this particular syndicated tv property has not been consigned to the Warner Brothers Archives MOD graveyard. Coming after the (bitter) disappointments of the RIPCORD (Syndicated 1961-63) and ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS - Season 6 (1960-61) DVD (or DVD-R) releases (neither which I purchased) this is splendid news indeed (for which I thank the original notifier). A tv property with a following is marketed in the free "open" market, on "standard" DVD, at competitive prices. Everyone substantially benefits! Coming from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment in particular this may well prove to be a boldly innovative move. Ironically the more things change the more they stay the same!

But this is a Warner Brothers DVD release and don't expect any major restoration work either. This may be an instance where it might have been better to have been a CBS Television-Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment tv property (albeit there will likely be those who feel justified in disputing this). But (for the present) let's be optimistic and assume that the episodes will be presented complete and in reasonably satisfactory condition.

(As was said in the "other" MAYBERRY R.F.D. discussion thread by myself) I was both fascinated and surprised to learn that Andy Griffith took the initiative to independently produce this show apart from the "original" parent series' distributor.

Lastly, I suppose that this is a welcomed example of just when one assumes that the well has gone dry there are still pleasant surprises to be discovered.

Jeff T.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I was watching MAYBERRY RFD on CBS on a Monday night when the episode was interrupted by CBS News to let us know that the crew of Apollo 13 was in grave danger because there had been an explosion aboard the spacecraft. I not only have that memory of the show but I can also recall some of the episodes as well from when it first ran.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've never watched too much Mayberry R.F.D. as it wasn't syndicated here and I apparently missed out on its run on cable also. I watched the last episode of TAGS last night on Netflix to get a feel for it. I think this one is worth a blind buy from what I saw last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks