What's new

No DTS audio from home theatre? (1 Viewer)

Mohammed Ruhban

Auditioning
Recently bought a Sony bravia Led tv 40R452A, and a home theatre system by Panasonic model SC-XH201 connected with ARC through the HDMI, while the TV can play all the videos and give the sound from the tv speakers and the through the Home theatre setup through ARC, but it cant paly DTS audio. The tv gives the DTS output from the inbuilt TV speakers but wen the audio system is selection is selected sound doesnt come...problem only with dts audio not with dolby digital....any help is highly appreciated...any suggestion how to make DTS audio pass from tv to audio system?

Mohammed Ruhban

Auditioning
the source would be the usb slot provided in the led tv, filling up a usb memory drive with videos with dts 5.1 and playing it on the tv

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is a good question(and not the "source" I was thinking you'd come back with. I thought you'd have a gaming system connected to the TV. This one is peculiar though...)

This one may take awhile to answer. Does the OM mention this in a way that isn't complicated? (meaning wherever the "use the USB" is in the manual...does it mention what can and can't be done?)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Can the HTiB itself play back DTS off ARC/Toslink? (not very many can as it is "assumed" the toslink on an HTiB is going to be used with a cable/satellite STB...and that is only DD)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Matter of fact I'm going to research the HTiB first...as I doubt Sony would release a TV able to handle DTS from USB that couldn't pass the DTS(even if dumbed down to DTS 2.0) off to something else to process the audio.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, since this is Indian product...having "issues" with Sony and Panasonic allowing me to see their websites of their product(common issue when searching product not sold where your IP is)...doing an end around...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Got somewhere...maybe.

Have you tried the USB directly in the Panasonic? Haven't found everything it can decipher(video content wise). But if it does the same thing as the way you are doing it now(ie, video and no audio)...then it is the HTiB. But if it won't play the video either...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, that can't quite be accurate...but...

I found a spec sheet for this HTiB. It doesn't even list the ability to playback the DTS sound off a DVD(all DVD have a fallback DD track).

It is possible this HTiB just can't do DTS(unbelievable in this day and age...)

Have you tried a DTS DVD? (that would confirm if DTS is really completely absent)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If my suspicion is accurate about the "HTiB can't do DTS"...

Your TV has a headphone jack(meant for double duty as an analog out) that you can connect to the analog input on the HTiB.

That might be your only option if this HTiB really can't do DTS.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I doubt it is just because it is a Panasonic.

IT is because it is HTiB. Over here in the US, 90% of HTiB can't decode DTS unless it is from a disc.

Which means finding a HTiB that can decode DTS from an external source may very well be another Panasonic...at 3-4 times the price.

Your only option might be forgoing HTiB and getting a real AVR and a separate DVD/BD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks